Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Re: Anybody got a small male dog who would father some pups?  (Read 11529 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Our lovely jack russell x bitch is coming into season again and the love of her life - the dachsund who lives down the road is just not up to the job of fathering pups. We are looking for a stud dog with a very good temperament to produce family pets. (Several people have asked for one of her pups. ) We are not particularly worried about breed just needs to be small and very friendly. We have thought about jack russells, poodles, dachsunds - we even tried the skye terrier in the village but she didn't fancy him.
We are near Kirriemuir in Angus so please reply if you want to set up a blind date in the next week or so.

What is she a cross of?  What about all the health checks?  Have they been done on your bitch?  Are you requiring them of your stud?  How many homes have you got for the 6 pups she may have?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 02:10:49 pm by Dan »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Anybody got a small male dog who would father some pups?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 12:06:05 am »
sorry to be a bit blunt but please do not breed - just look at your local rescues - or many tears in wales  - there are so many unwanted dogs pts everyday - why add to the list?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 12:42:02 am »
sorry to be a bit blunt but please do not breed - just look at your local rescues - or many tears in wales  - there are so many unwanted dogs pts everyday - why add to the list?
Basically that is what I was trying to say too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 01:46:49 am »
I agree with Shep & Doganjo! Isn't it time dg licenes were re-introduced? & compulsory micro-chipping. Perhaps a fee for bitches roughly equivalent to the cost of spaying in the first year and greatly reduced if the bitch is spayed by one year of age. the revenue could be used to help with the upkeep of unwanted dogs in rescue centres.

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 05:43:37 am »
that'll be you shot down in flames then!!

what is wrong with a friendly little dog doing what comes naturally and having a litter of 'good homes promised' pups? in my mind, this is far better than the designer puppy farmed type dogs most people seem to want these days!

i have been looking for a wee dog, most of the ones i have seen in rescue centres have been rehomed already even though details are still on the websites, but i have found someone who has x bred puppies, and i am getting one end of july.

btw, i already have 2 rescue dogs here, so not knocking that either. but not everyone is capable of re training a rescue dog, but would be able to start off  a puppy. we are all different.
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 06:46:39 am »
Wouldn't collecting and administering a dog license scheme be far more expensive than any monies collected - that's why it was abandoned in the first place.

Why shouldn't people breed from their dogs - marigold has obvously thought about it, and around here there are a lot of wee X dogs around. If you know the size and temperament of the parent stock, I would be quite happy to get a x puppy. The majority of cats, sheep, goats, chickens etc are Xes nowadays...

I keep a pedigree wirehaired foxterrier and do not breed from her, had her spayed and she is micro-chipped. I have in the past also re-homed dogs, but for example these are often unsuitable for families with children or older people.  Better to get a puppy from a young age and train them to the home.

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 08:14:55 am »
completely agree..also sorry if this offends anyone but this is a market place page..things for sale and wanted.not for everyone to pounce and have a go about what someone wants to do because they dont agree with it! if no one bred their dogs non of you would have the ones you share your homes with! :dog:

i agree about health checks etc..micro chipping as all mine are done.but come on folks give it a break! several of you will have seen i have bred a couple of x bred litters but i dont advertise on here anymore its really not worth it when you get this!! everyone is entitled to there opinion dont get me wrong, but cant it be done in the dogs section not on a for sale page????? :-\
'can't rain all the time!'

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 09:19:54 am »
Excuse me all - have some faith that i'm not a complete numpty - I understand all of your concerns and agree - largely.
However this debate is probably better held in Coffee time or in dogs and this space held free so that anyone with a healthy good tempered wee dog in my vicinity can reply without feeling like they're doing a bad thing and are going to get drummed off the forum.

Thanks for your concern and don't worry - it'll be alright
kirsty

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 09:27:52 am »
Hope you find a wee boy for your girl. The rescue centres seem to be full of Staffies not nice wee terrier types. We looked and the only two we saw were gone before we even phoned  :(

I know someone with a Fell x terrier in Carnoustie. He's black and has a lovely nature except he's not very good on the recall  ;D He is gorgeous though. Actually, now I think about it, he might be "done". Hmm, pity.

Sorry you got a hard time. I'm pretty sure you're not the cause of all the ills of the dog world  ;)

Sandy

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 10:02:17 am »
 Not everyone wants pedegree and why should they, we all have different likes and dislikes and more often than not, mixed breeds outlive pure bred dogs and have loads of charactor, I see nothing wrong at all, especialy if people want the pups...it is a free world and thats how dogs such as farmers dogs, were bred not so many years ago.

Some years ago we looked every weekend for a small dog at different rescue centers but they all went very quickly and thats nice for them but you tend to get left with big, more powerful dogs so we bought a nice one from a breeder, he was a patterdale/lakeland cross, a very pretty and intellegant dog that got run over sadly. We all are entitled to our views so please, stop being so judgmental, after all, its the people who just let thier dogs roam, pedegree or not, that need telling, not a loving owner!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 11:35:04 am »
My little chap would love to help but we had his bits off years ago  ;D ;D  :dog:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 12:36:32 pm »
more often than not, mixed breeds outlive pure bred dogs
Sorry, Sandy, but that is far too generalised.  For example, a Great Dane average life span is 7, a Brittany average life span is 14, some Great Danes live to only 3, others I know of to 10, I had a Brittany that was 17 when she died, another at 16, and a friend's one died last year at 19 and a half.

There are a lot of such generalisations about health issues on pedigrees which are just not true.  I agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, (I personaly have no objection to crossbreeds, had I not been given a pure bred Cocker as a child I might have gone down that route) but surely that is what a forum is for - discussing ones opinions with others.  

I gave my own opinion (AND that of the Kennel CLub)that ALL relevant health checks should be done on ALL dogs prior to mating - in my breed it is just hip dysplasia, in yours it is HD and eyes - if  a Brittany was mated to a Lab then if they weren't low hips scores they could produce offspring with bad hips, and possibly eye problems unless the Lab was checked for eyes.  There are a multitude of other hereditary diseases - I never bred my German Wirehaired Pointer bitch because I couldn't find a stud with suitable lines which didn't carry Von Willebrands Disease - it is a killer, and horrendous to watch the degeneration.  Of course these checks are not a guarantee totally, but they are the only tool we have and should be used.

It is not the preogative of pure bred dogs to be bred from but it is the duty of ANYONE breeding ANY dogs to ensure that the offspring is as healthy as possible and tehya re WANTED! There are a lot of dogs put down after a week in custody because no-one wants them.  Yes, probably staffies, or staffie crosses.  

All I did was ask the questions!
What is she a cross of?  What about all the health checks?  Have they been done on your bitch?  Are you requiring them of your stud?  How many homes have you got for the 6 pups she may have?

What I am saying to Marigold as a breeder is to have a look at the health issues of the breeds in her bitch's parentage, and of any stud do she would like to use, ensure she has homes waiting for puppies - probably not so much of an issue with small dogs.  And by no stretch of imagination could she be called a 'numpty' - they are people who go ahead regardless of advice

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 07:29:49 pm »
Health checks, are they important. Well thats an easy one for me. We bought a German Shepherd puppy and were told parents had good hip scores which were at the fathers house but they would send them onto us. Like idiots we believed the woman as she seem to know all the problems of the breed. Try going through putting a 5 month puppy down with no hip joints, out of the 10 in the litter 8 were put down before their 1st birthday. When I got in touch with the breeder she tried to tell me that the vet was wrong putting our pup down as her bitch did very well on drugs. How did we find out about the other pups. My OH was working in the area and he put up notices in all the local vets. Lizzie, put down age 3 years, reason she became very nasty and wanted to be top dog when Tanya our other Shepherd had that place. She almost bite my granddaughter trying to attack the Jack Russell and later attacked Tanya and left her with 5 very nasty wounds. Also went for me one day when I tried to split them up. Blood every where. She was Staffie crossed with a lab/ lurcher. We only gave her a home as no one wanted her. She came to us as a 7 wk old pup, was very well trained and could be so affectionate but she did have a nasty side that we could not risk re homing her. We have had collie/labs all lovely dogs and lived to a good age without problems but I would say to anyone breeding pups even just for pets, make sure your bitch is the best she can be and in very good health. Only used a stud dog that is also in the best of health and temperament is so important as these dogs have a good chance of being family pets.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 07:37:45 pm »
Health checks, are they important. Well thats an easy one for me. We bought a German Shepherd puppy and were told parents had good hip scores which were at the fathers house but they would send them onto us. Like idiots we believed the woman as she seem to know all the problems of the breed. Try going through putting a 5 month puppy down with no hip joints, out of the 10 in the litter 8 were put down before their 1st birthday. When I got in touch with the breeder she tried to tell me that the vet was wrong putting our pup down as her bitch did very well on drugs. How did we find out about the other pups. My OH was working in the area and he put up notices in all the local vets. Lizzie, put down age 3 years, reason she became very nasty and wanted to be top dog when Tanya our other Shepherd had that place. She almost bite my granddaughter trying to attack the Jack Russell and later attacked Tanya and left her with 5 very nasty wounds. Also went for me one day when I tried to split them up. Blood every where. She was Staffie crossed with a lab/ lurcher. We only gave her a home as no one wanted her. She came to us as a 7 wk old pup, was very well trained and could be so affectionate but she did have a nasty side that we could not risk re homing her. We have had collie/labs all lovely dogs and lived to a good age without problems but I would say to anyone breeding pups even just for pets, make sure your bitch is the best she can be and in very good health. Only used a stud dog that is also in the best of health and temperament is so important as these dogs have a good chance of being family pets.
I am so sorry this happened to you, Sabrina.  Even experienced breeders can get it wrong too - we bought a red cocker way back, Champion parents, but not closely related, well known breeder.  At 18 months she bit me, having given us hell from when she had her first season at 8 months, cocker Rage Stndrome, was put down that day.  She was perfectly lovely most of the time then she would just turn.  No way we could blame her breeder - discovered five generations back there had been one on her Sire's side, but not reported back to the breeder.  Our lady never bred those two again.  There is no test for this problem unfortunately, but skilful breeding by the country's top Cocker breeders has pretty well eliminated it, although I would still hesitate at buying a solid Cocker again.  At least hips can be tested for and this is a lesson to all of us - if a breeder says something get the paperwork before taking the puppy.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 07:40:05 pm by doganjo »

gem

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 08:23:38 pm »
just a word of warning, i would strongly suggest that you avoid patterdales, fell terriers and working type lakelands if you are breeding pets, they are a very difficult breed. the amount of storys ive heard from lads having to rescue peoples "pet" working terrier types out of drains, fox holes, out from under buildings is staggering, they never truely switch off. the urge to hunt is in them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS