Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kennel Club Good Citizen Scheme  (Read 24005 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Kennel Club Good Citizen Scheme
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2012, 12:43:50 pm »
Have you been on the working HPR forum?

Helen
  Not for  a  long time, but yes, that's me! ;D   Either Doganjo as on here or BritAnnie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2012, 01:02:26 pm »
BritAnnie - That's it!  :wave: lol

I am just Helen on there.

Helen

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2012, 01:36:39 pm »
BritAnnie - That's it!  :wave: lol

I am just Helen on there.

Helen
:wave: :wave: ;D   Small world!  ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2013, 09:54:34 am »
Another great night for our training school last night.  We had 7 dogs in for the Gold award (Lacey, Mia, Cassie, Lhola, Seul, Callum, and Belle; one for the Silver(Rhuairidh) - all of us passed!  Chuffed to bits that Belle passed with flying colours.  I now have three Brittanys with their Gold Award, and all three with two Challenge Challenge Certificates in the show ring (two thirds of the way to being Champions) So proud of them all.
Delighted for Andrena and Walter Cowan and their Andwalls Dog Training School.

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2013, 09:59:12 am »
 :trophy:  Well done to all your crew.

I do agility with my collie girlie but stopped with my boy last year as he kept going lame on his back leg after training so didn't want to risk hurting him.  Anyway, because he stopped agility I have just started obedience with him - he is 8 and has done no obedience since his puppy classes.  So, in 2 weeks he has his bronze test along with a class of 10 month old puppies!!!   :fc:

Donna

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2013, 11:34:30 pm »

I do agility with my collie girlie but stopped with my boy last year as he kept going lame on his back leg after training so didn't want to risk hurting him.  Anyway, because he stopped agility I have just started obedience with him - he is 8 and has done no obedience since his puppy classes.  So, in 2 weeks he has his bronze test along with a class of 10 month old puppies!!!   :fc:

Donna
Could be cruciates - so don't do any more jumping.  That's what happened to Freckles and it cost me almost £2K for her operation. :gloomy:  Good luck for the Bronze it'a not difficult, remember to swot up your care answers too  :fc:

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2013, 11:07:51 am »
well done Annie and good luck collie wobbles!
Has anyone had a go at Rally Obedience (Rally-O) yet?  I recently went to a workshop and think I may take it up with those of my dogs who don't go agility.  Like the Good Citizen awards it would be brill for a young dog to get those basics instilled but with a bit of competitiveness to spurr you on.
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/RallyObedienceTrainingAndEvents?fref=ts

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2013, 01:24:23 pm »

Donna
Could be cruciates - so don't do any more jumping.  That's what happened to Freckles and it cost me almost £2K for her operation. :gloomy:  Good luck for the Bronze it'a not difficult, remember to swot up your care answers too  :fc:

Thanks Doganjo - we have had him x-rayed and checked out by the vet but she could find no evidence of muscular, ligament or arthritis damage so a bit of a mystery.  So I removed him from a 10 week block of agility training so see what happened and saw an instant reduction in the number of times he went temporarily lame.  It now only seems to happen if we have been for a really long walk (all day) - when he gets out of the car afterwards he has stiffened up.

He has had a tendency to stiffen up after long walks since he was young - as you suggest, have stopped the agility - it's just not worth the risk to his long term health. 

Donna
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 02:09:53 pm by colliewobbles »

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2013, 01:29:21 pm »
I am not a fan of any over activity in  humans or dogs :innocent: , the good citizen sounds ideal, a way of bonding and controlling your dogs, nice to take up something that's includes our pets.
I also love  the gun dog training and beating but missed out this time, I am not even a fan of throwing balls for dogs as they twist and run full pelt, ours do anyway.
I try to be careful and our dogs have loads of fun......

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2013, 03:55:42 pm »
Congratulations Doganjo and Belle. A great achievement  :trophy:

Good luck Collywobbles. Do swat up on the GCDS booklet. I nearly failed on the basic questions but my boy ( who was 8yo at the time ) passed easily after reading the booklet before bed for days before our tests  ::)

We both did pass the bronze   :relief:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2013, 10:41:47 pm »
Colliewobbles, could it be muscular? I find that Allez is stiffening up just now as he hasn't been getting his usual hour and a half free running due to our regular woodlands being so muddy. I'vebeen taking him to a hydrotherapy pool and its made a huge difference.

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2013, 09:52:14 am »
I've only just seen this thread, been busy, well done doganjo, the gold test isn't that easy,

If any one wants to go further with it have a look at obedience competitions, basically at the lower levels its almost identical to silver and gold awards but without the outside elements, lead walking, getting in a car etc, and to be honest it's a heluv a lotta fun

Any way here's my gangs awards:

Morris - gold
Mini - gold (now an agility dog)
George my big daft lurcher - errrrrrr failed his bronze - three times, we keep trying you never know he might actually sit on command when he's not in the house one day..... It's almost impossible to fail bronze so I'm told, we do it for a laugh these days, he's a happy sole though
Julie - bronze (at 7months old) clever these collies

Colliewobbles, I always run mini gently before doing the agility for ten minutes or so just to warm her up, mind she's 5 so that comment meens absolutely nothing, sounds like your doing the right thing though

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2013, 10:31:10 am »
Hi all - thanks for all the advice regarding the agility.  I do actually run another collie too and she is completely fine (5 years old). 

With Brodie I have done everything - massaging/manipulating affected area, gentle warm-up, more active run-around, walk after his agility run, rest then walk after agility run - but still, when he has run at agility then rested in the car for a while he gets stiff on his back left leg.  And, since he was young, he has always had a tendency to stiffen up if we have done a particularly long walk.

He is a pedigree collie with full KC parentage over many generations and our girlie is a rescue from an unwanted  farm litter in Ireland.  Every dog in his lineage has good or excellent hip scores.  I find it rather ironic that he should be the one with potential muscular/joint problems rather than her but perhaps she is made of hardier stuff!   

I hadn't thought of the hydrotherapy and there is a very good setup for that near us - think I will make some enquiries.  Even so though - I will not do agility with him anymore.

Donna

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
Kennel Club Good Citizen Scheme
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2015, 10:34:41 pm »
After a wobbly start, which was entirely down to Mum, Missy passed her Bronze test tonight. :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

I fell asleep in front of the Television after tea and woke up at 7pm, the time class starts.  We rushed over to Alva hoping to catch half an hour of class, and half way over I remembered it was Test night.  Ah well I'm on the way now I'll just watch thought I - but no, our fellow class members were practising and we were told to join in.  Then Jane the assessor appeared and we went straight into the Bronze test after only one round of heel work, and Missy hitting the ceiling in excitement at being back to her school after a couple of weeks in purdah (2nd season).

I was fairly certain she could do most of the exercises reasonably enough but staying in one place for  a full minute is an anathema to our Little Miss Black Stockings  :innocent:

But her mat seemed to do the trick and she only needed to re-focus once halfway through and didn't get up.  I was elated.  So she was awarded her certificate and rosette, and got a nice round of applause.  Well done Denandmeg Illustrious Miss Aberdon!
I am so proud of my wee girl.

Have a go folks - it's well worth it.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2015, 08:09:52 am »
Well done Missy :thumbsup:  and Annie too of course

I remember taking my dog for this test when I lived in Scotland. She was only just old enough to take it but I did'nt think we would make it either as a minute staying still is such a long time when they are that age. When I told Jill to stay she laid on her back with her feet in the air and everyone was laughing but she did stay on the spot and passed.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS