Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kennel Club Good Citizen Scheme  (Read 24002 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Kennel Club Good Citizen Scheme
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:27:15 pm »
Does anyone else train for thsi?  Allez has been going for a while, passed his Silver Award earlier this year and tonight he gained his Gold Certificate.  I'm very proud of him. ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Kennel Club Good Citizen Scheme
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:37:21 pm »
so what does a good citizen entail for a dog?
sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 09:40:51 pm »
Well done. My old boy has his bronze, but none of my others have taken them. Silver & Gold is much more difficult
Rose

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:46:03 pm »
Well done to you  :bouquet:

Di has put our two Leo's through bronze and silver all on her own. (She's wonderful with dogs). Gazer had a go at gold but wouldn't go away to the mat as he wants to be with her more than away from her  :)

Once again, congratulations to you and Allez

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 11:47:37 pm »
Read all about it
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/dogtraining

The Gold involves:
road walk at heel on a loose lead - no tightening allowed at all, and no moving ahead of you; on a busy road with traffic, bikes, people, other dogs, sit waiting for a road crossing signal, cross the road at heel, walk on about 100 yards at heel on loose lead, return, sit and cross at the crossing again;
heel work off lead outside but not near traffic (we were in a park with kids, birds, dogs, squirrels, rabbits around);
recall off lead from a sit, at a distance of about 70 yards, to sit at front, then finish to heel also outside;
recall to heel from behind, also at a distance and outside;
emergency stop, also off lead and same distance, outside; 
2 minute down stay out of sight of handler also outside with distractions;
send to bed;
relaxed isolation(left tied up and handler out of sight) - both tested inside;
then there are questions for the handler on care of the dog, responsibilites of an owner, dangerous dogs Act, accident law, requirements of ownership. 
Dog collar, lead and tag are checked for name address and phone number, oh and you have to show you have poo bags and a brush or comb. 
And lastly the dog has to stand for a throrough physical examination by the tester.

I think that was all - took about three quarters of an hour and I think in stomach churning terms my final CA exams would compare favourably! ::) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 12:52:30 am »
Well done you two!   :bouquet:

I once had an engraver refuse to engrave my dogs tags with dog's name, my name, address and telephone number.  He said it gave potential kidnappers too much information.  I gave in to him and settled for phone number and postcode - and was never easy thinking about how difficult I was making it for someone to contact me if something happened to one of them.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 10:21:04 am »
My dogs have done this, as I used to teach dog training in Banff. I found most people were very keen for their dogs to take part, something for owner and dog to do together and made them so proud when the dog recieved their awards. Must say I felt proud for them also. ;D

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 08:23:14 pm »
Well done. I know how difficult Gold is. My Airedale, Max, has his silver - and any of you with knowledge of Airedales will know what an achievement I thought that was, as like all terriers he has an absolute mind of his own. My rescue Cocker Spaniel, Milo, has bronze and I stopped there with both of them. Max was two and a half by that time (my OH used to joke that he must be in the remedial class!). Milo, like most spaniels I think, is just naturally very obedient and Max likes to do things at his own pace. Looks at you as if to say, Yes, I know what you want me to do and will do it when I'm ready. But I decided to do the bronze and silver with Max as I think big dogs like Airedales can be a really nuisance when they're big and bouncy if they don't have any training and that was the training closest to where I lived. I like it's style too. Max is a gentle giant, and quite timid, but of course non-dog-lovers are always a bit wary of such a large dog. Milo, is small, fat and yappy but they're both lovely. Congratulations again.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 11:14:19 pm »
Thanks, everyone> :love: I really didn't think he'd get through as Brittanys are known for wanting to be ahead of the pack, but I had my young dog at a new trainer recently who had him walking to heel within a minute and then had him doing it for me too, so I put what I learned there into practice with Allez and it worked. He stayed at heel allt eh time both on and off lead.  I was particualrly pleased for Andrina our trainer as she is an Assessor for the Kennel club and assess the examiners so is very strict on the Gold level. Wouldn't have done her reputation much good if we'd failed!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 08:48:09 am »
Well done! That's a hard test. You could probably compete in obedience trials, couldn't you?

I don't really understand the ID thing, tbh. Ours are chipped and have their names and my moby number stitched into their collars. The wee tag things last about a week here.

Why a brush and comb? I know for grooming but are you expected to carry it in the test?

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 03:10:45 pm »
Well done doganjo - if Brittany's are anything like setters ( I have 3 gordons) then that is a REAL achievement !  So good!  Does that mean you will enter the class at Crufts for Good Citizen awards?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 03:15:38 pm »
Allez is qualified from Crufts for life anyway as he has a Stud book number (all of my dogs have), but I can't remember who the judge is so it will depend on that.....................   Have just looked and I just might enter him, and one of the girls.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 10:35:49 pm »
Just noticed this thread - well done Annie & Allez - I can't imagine the work you must have put into gaining it - you must be over the moon at your achievement - congratulations  :bouquet: :bouquet:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

princesspiggy

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 12:09:20 am »
lol, my gsd failed miserably when she was 1, we trained for a whole year, and attempted it at that big doggy event at windsor (cant rem its name) she buggered off on the recall and was running round in circles like a silly beggar for ages, infront of loads of people... highly embarassing... and shes still daft as a brush now and shes 8!! im blushing just at the memory!!!!!!!

yet our old mongrel passed no problem ...

she was part of the world record breaker "Sit" though, her and another 1000 dogs (cant rem how many now) and she still has her certificate!!  lol
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:13:57 am by princesspiggy »

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 09:53:40 pm »
Lol  ;D

You think you got probs with you GSD PP - our Setters don't even remember their own names when their off the lead  ;D ;D ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS