Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kennel Club Good Citizen Scheme  (Read 24003 times)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Kennel Club Good Citizen Scheme
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 06:18:42 am »
Yes, there sounds lots to it. It is one competition I've never been to watch  :-[
Tho a friend at our club is doing it with her pointers at the moment.

I love watching the different competitions with dogs. Non dog owners or pet dog owners just don't realise how much hard work and dedicated training has gone into the working or competition dog.

Still, it is sooo rewarding. And they love every minute of it  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 10:07:55 am »
As you know I have HPR's - the most complicated trials of the four since the dogs have to do all that is required in  the field, not just bits of it. 

That is not so onerous in a small shooting situation as it is very friendly and mistakes are not dwelt on.  I have only entered one trial with my oldest bitch (Freckles - who just got KC gold) and she took fright after listening to 5 hours shooting as she was last to go, and there are very few trials for our group in Scotland anyway.  But my late husband used to train and trial our dogs, and take them rabbit shooting on both out croft and a neighbour's farm. Even he used to comment on the considerable amount of polish required for even a novice trial.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 11:36:59 am »
I love watching dogs work - the bond with their handlers is incredible.

I did a bit of obedience and agility with our two when they were young but never focussed on either really (which may explain the dogs' lack of focus  ::)). Tess was good at obedience work but too smart / lazy for agility - she quite liked the weave and the plank walks but couldn't understand why she should jump a pole when there was clearly room to go round or under it  ;D

Meg was too hyper for obedience and the other dogs freaked her out - she was fabulous at agility being incredibly athletic but got too hyper. Both are 12 now and Meg's snoozing at my feet and Tess is staring at a cat  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 01:11:37 pm »
I love watching dogs work - the bond with their handlers is incredible.

I did a bit of obedience and agility with our two when they were young but never focussed on either really (which may explain the dogs' lack of focus  ::)). Tess was good at obedience work but too smart / lazy for agility - she quite liked the weave and the plank walks but couldn't understand why she should jump a pole when there was clearly room to go round or under it  ;D

Meg was too hyper for obedience and the other dogs freaked her out - she was fabulous at agility being incredibly athletic but got too hyper. Both are 12 now and Meg's snoozing at my feet and Tess is staring at a cat  ;D
They are both super girls and absolutely fine as they are!  Why jump when you can run, why run when you can walk, why walk when you can lie down ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 07:37:38 pm »
They are both super girls and absolutely fine as they are!  Why jump when you can run, why run when you can walk, why walk when you can lie down ;D ;D ;D

Thank you - and that just about sums up Tess, although Meg is the opposite (why walk when you can skitter around like a mad thing, pushing your stick under your mum's feet  ::))

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 09:05:50 am »
just jumping into this thread. Congratulations on achieving your silver award  :thumbsup: I am due to start puppy classes with my new little pup next week... I am quite sure we will be shocking but I am so hoping he will grow up to be a well rounded dog with basic commands. We've learnt sit and leave at home and sit is coming on in unusual circumstances but the down and leave have a lot of work to do  ::)

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2012, 09:09:05 am »
I used to go down the KC good citizen scheme and a couple of my dogs rached the dizzy heights of bronze.  My gwp didn't even pass that though as he wouldn't lie down away from me, in a village hall.  He turned into a fantastic working dog, who I had many years working on the moor with, until he sadly passed away at Christmas :(  Still miss the old bugger!

Good luck with the pupp classes :)

Helen

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2012, 10:14:08 am »
Thanks, wellies, it was actually Gold that Freckles got, and her nephew, Allez, got his gold last year.  Her last class was last night - she asked me to buy some chocolates for their owners and dog chews for her doggy pals  ;D ;D  Belle is going to start after a two week break for the elections and a Championship Show, she already has Bronze, so it will be silver next for her.  We don't just go to get the certificates - it is a  very friendly evening out amongst people who love their dogs. ;D

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2012, 03:44:42 pm »
Sorry, Gold is even more impressive :thumbsup: I hope my little guy could get somewhere near a bronze certificate at some point. He tries bless him and shows real promise but concentration and control at his young age and breed don't come easily, we'll see how he develops  ::)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2012, 05:30:55 pm »
My boy, Allez, excelled himself today - got his 2nd challenge certificate(He has 4 reserves)  One more for a Champion - cross everything for me guys!  I have three Brittanys and all three have two Challenge certificates.  Wish we could convert the reserves  ;) ;D   Chuffed to bits with Allez, apologies for bragging again!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2012, 07:40:37 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2012, 06:34:47 pm »
Congratulations Annie and Allez that's great achievement  :trophy:

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2012, 09:27:19 am »
Yay!  Well done. 

I think we have "met" online somewhere before, haven't we?

Helen

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2012, 09:46:15 am »
Yay!  Well done. 

I think we have "met" online somewhere before, haven't we?

Helen
Have we? I know quite a few Helens!  ;D   Give us a clue ;)

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2012, 12:37:17 pm »
Have you been on the working HPR forum?

Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS