Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A responsibility!  (Read 18404 times)

Sandy

Re: A responsibility!
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2011, 12:10:02 pm »
Poor Lamb, in nature it would have died sooner but I do agree  with the precious post though.

I think we become open on forums and forget just how open we are, some are keen on pointing out laws and rules, I know as its happend to me on here so, a lesson to be learnt, we are friendly but maybe should not be so open!!

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2011, 01:50:07 pm »
Oh no!! Really sorry to hear about poor little Junior.    We too lost a bottle fed ram lamb on Monday.  We bought him and two other bottle fed ram lambs from a well known flock in Lancashire and he was going to be our stock ram - the kids loved him too, he had such a gentle nature, really friendly and never booted the bottle out of any of the other's mouths like they usually do. I hate losing one of the sheep the family have become attached to, its awful.    I do agree with what Ohlala and Sandy have said in the previous two posts too - sometimes its best not to involve too many people or we are bombarded with too much advice...and that can be soooo scary.  All the best!  Caroline x :wave:

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2011, 04:55:23 pm »
So sorry to hear about Junior  :-[

I hope this is not the wrong place, but in this thread an exception is mentioned to movement regs for orphan lambs on welfare grounds http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=14719.msg142985#msg142985

Can anyone else confirm this? It would be very useful to know either way :)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2011, 05:54:22 pm »
What a shame, poor little lamb, but at least you tired

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2011, 10:54:44 pm »
Really sorry to hear all that. My very first orphan died within 24 hours of having it despite hand bottling etc! I'm on a v steep learning curve!

You did really well trying

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2011, 11:36:51 pm »
Very sorry to hear about Junior, Annie.  Don't blame yourself one jot.  Sadly the odds were always agin this little one and you did your best and gave him a little longer.   :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2011, 11:48:55 am »
In reading all of this thread i'm really sorry for lots of reasons

It's never nice to lose an animal    goodness knows we've had a really rough and very expensive year

These forums.......this one in particular has always seemed to have  a friendly open and easily approachable membership where information knowledge can be exchanged and advice taken and/or ignored inconsequentially

Many of this years trials we have shied away from posting as there are ALWAYS those who rampage in with the hardline moral highground at a time when you need it the very least   when you're busy blaming yourself endlessly for something you more than likely could not have prevented

Annie    i'm sorry you were if i dare say     frightened into letting this lamb return earlier than you might have feeling you were doing some good because of the hardline rules and regs posts. It would be my guess that you would have lost the fight for this little lamb anyway :(

I would/am of the same opinion as ohlala sandy and morri2   but i would hope that your faith in what i perceive for you to be a lively friendly forum and meeting place isn't too battered :sheep:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2011, 02:04:35 pm »
To an extent, yes, I was scared into putting him back although in some ways it was right to try to get him back with his mother and the rest of the flock.  (As it turns out both she and they ignored him, so he was actually no better off and as things went, worse off) If I'd kept him I was under the impression from posts on here that I had to get a CPH and movement licence, tag him etc etc and for my property to be checked over.  I couldn't have that as at the present moment my chicken run and shed are a mess of mud with all the rain and am waiting for my son to have time to help me clean it all out and lay gravel.  If he had stayed a bit longer he would have been stronger and been better able to resist the coccidiosis that killed him.  He could have learnt about outside things too as my back garden is safe for animals(and small children) and he was in the conservatory which leads out to grass.

Rules are rules, I understand that, and basically I more or less live by them, but I wonder what the harm is in allowing a little leeway.  I am a little disappointed, and I would do the same thing again - what I wouldn't do is be so naive as to put it on here.

I think I will probably lock this topic now if I can.  Thank you very, very much to those of you who supported me.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS