Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A responsibility!  (Read 18459 times)

robert waddell

Re: A responsibility!
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 09:03:26 am »
double standards on this one             all right for everybody else to toe the line on regulations but turn the blind eye in this instance
that just makes a mockery of the system and the reasons for that system not to mention the debate about keeping a single species
it will be your conscience after all you are breaking the law(ignorance of the law is no defence) and the breeder also
that next car that stops will it be trading standards DEFRA or the SSPCA or worse plod to enforce there findings
now before anybody starts to get het up on this it was doganjo that mentioned the CPH or lack of it  :sheep:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2011, 09:07:03 am »
double standards on this one             all right for everybody else to toe the line on regulations but turn the blind eye in this instance
that just makes a mockery of the system and the reasons for that system not to mention the debate about keeping a single species
it will be your conscience after all you are breaking the law(ignorance of the law is no defence) and the breeder also
that next car that stops will it be trading standards DEFRA or the SSPCA or worse plod to enforce there findings
now before anybody starts to get het up on this it was doganjo that mentioned the CPH or lack of it  :sheep:

He's going back tomorrow anyway
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:16:33 am by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2011, 10:26:30 pm »
Good on you, Annie, for stepping into the breach. Yes, all the rules might not have been followed but if a sensible risk assessment was done, there was no risk to the lamb or other livestock as far as I can see. Hope the wee fella is doing well.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2011, 11:10:32 pm »
Thanks Rosemary, I believed as did Graham and Carol that he would have died had he been left with his mother, and there was no-one else available with the time to look after him but me.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2011, 11:58:11 pm »
For future record: we got our last CPH the same we day we asked for it, explaining that we had some pigs coming a bit earlier than expected and they were very helpful - I called up first thing in the morning and we had a number by 4pm. Animal health came round about a month later and were totally uninterested in chickens and ducks once I said I had less than fifty of each.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2011, 10:43:25 am »
Animal health came round about a month later and were totally uninterested in chickens and ducks once I said I had less than fifty of each.

They would be uninterested if you have less than 50 birds in total. If you have 50 birds of any type, you must register with the British Poultry Register.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 03:04:50 pm »
My bad, after posting that I did go to check on DEFRA's website and it is 50 birds total not per species. I then got sidetracked trying to use their online registration form which was shockingly bad so then got further sidetracked writing a complaint email to them and so forgot to come back and edit my post for truthiness, whoops!

Madcow

• Joined Jan 2011
  • France
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2011, 05:13:33 pm »
let he who has never sinned cast the first stone !!! ( or words to that effect !) no-one is totally good, but this was a truely good deed to save the life of a little lambie needing just a few days grace, well done  :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2011, 11:14:19 pm »
let he who has never sinned cast the first stone !!! ( or words to that effect !) no-one is totally good, but this was a truely good deed to save the life of a little lambie needing just a few days grace, well done  :wave:
Thank you.   The only problem is that I am now hooked on sheep - I think I've always kind of liked them.  Carol is going to check my place over to see if it's sheep proof and then we'll take it from there.

Madcow

• Joined Jan 2011
  • France
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2011, 08:48:25 am »
arr thats how it all starts !! you were warned  ;D sheep have a way of getting to you especially the bottle fed lambs, good luck and fingers crossed your place checks out  :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2011, 11:06:59 am »
Great news Annie!  Baaaahhh!   :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2011, 12:58:00 pm »
So much for saying no!  ;D Are you going to get the little ram lamb you were looking after?  Good luck hope you will soon  have some lambs of your own. Dont forget to post some pics.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2011, 01:47:36 pm »
Just been reading the posts on here - sounds just like us when we started - one little ewe lamb, bottle feed and lonely, that was seven years ago.....we now have 68 sheep!!!  And love every single one of them, even though we do have to sell some each year or we'd be bankrupt.  Good luck with the lamb.  I bet you'll have more than one this time next year  ;D ;D ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2011, 11:44:38 am »
I heard this morning that Junior died in the night.  He had been on various meds and ABs after he went back and just never picked up.  Perhaps I should have kept him a bit longer but to be honest the talk of movement licences and CPHs really scared me into doing that as he really was no trouble here, and was protected from the germs that are on farms.  He might have been able to resist them had he been a bit older and stronger.  So perhaps we all need to think long and hard before crtiticising soemone who was only trying to help a friend without knowing the rules.  I wish I had ignored them and I will in the future.  They know who they are.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2011, 12:05:17 pm »
Sorry to hear that doganjo. It's always hard to lose an animal. Without intervention nature would have taken him earlier and you did your best.

With regard to 'the rules' it's a PC world gone mad but we all have to abide by them, whether we agree with them or not. Not being harsh, but if there ever was a next time don't post all about it on a public forum that the whole world can read.

Can't do right for doing wrong.

Hindsight - don't we just wish we had it up front?

Best wishes.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 12:11:13 pm by OhLaLa »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS