Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A responsibility!  (Read 18436 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
A responsibility!
« on: May 18, 2011, 10:58:06 am »
My friends Carol and Graham called me early this morning - would I be able to look after a rejected lamb for a few days.  He has a touch of pneumonia with sleeping outside away from his Mum and is on ABs. 

I jumped at the chance! ::)  Yes, it will mean reorganising my plans slightly for the next few days and he will have to go back to their place and house sitter on Sunday as I'll be away all day at the Scottish Kennel Club Show - but I'll cope.  Can't be any more trouble than a baby puppy!  Lets them get off on a much needed holiday to Wales and the Smallholders Show. ;D

All their lambing was finished, then a couple of weeks later they found this little chap lying in a field. His mother is a year old and must have been 'got at' by her sire when he decided to relocate into the ewe and lamb field!   Rambo Junior is tiny, wasn't suckling properly, but has had colostrum, and some feeds from Mum when she was held, but is now on the bottle as his Mum won't stay still and ignores him.

He's now out in my conservatory, had his second feed for the day at 10 am, due another at 12.30 - so I'm taking the opportunity of going out now for some necessities while he sleeps peacefully in a dog cage.

Will keep you updated.  Next problem is - will I be able to let him go home .................................
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Re: A responsibility!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 11:21:38 am »
Nice little story, enjoy the experience, and as a warning thats how we began, just looking after a little lamb for a friend, now we have 8!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 11:42:28 am »
now we have 8!
 :o ;D :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 11:56:43 am »
It's OK, I know my limitations - or at least my ground - I only have a half acre paddock at the front and would need to shut him in at night or he might get pinched.  So he won't really be staying, but it is tempting ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 12:48:40 pm »
But he'll love you by then, and you him, and oh, those big lamby eyes - oh.... ::) :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 01:20:43 pm »
But he might be Hester re-incarnated and push me around! So I don't think so.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 04:15:32 pm »
Photos of the little lamb - suggestions for names welcome.  Note on one photo the wet newspaper and him in his bed, he must have got out of the bed, done a wee then gone back in again  - paper trained puppy in three hours HAS to be an alltime record  ;) ;D

Need him to do a poop now though, or I'll start to worry  ::)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 04:19:27 pm by doganjo »

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 04:40:26 pm »
How lovely Annie, enjoy him whilst you have him on loan

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 04:41:26 pm »
He's a cute little guy !  :sheep:

I seem to have his twin brother here  ;D

Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 04:54:05 pm »
Your one's got a wee bit more white on him - but so alike otherwise. ::)  Dam is a Suffolk I think - white with a black face  Don't know what Sire was, possibly cross Ryeland/Suffolk and I believe he was bottle fed too.  Should I worry that he hasn't poo'ed since he came here at 9 ish this morning?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 04:56:04 pm »
Gorgeous Annie! enjoy  :)  we've loved having these little lambs here, were heartbroken to have the poorly one put to sleep and I'm now enjoying the fact that they are less dependent on us and its fab to watch them running about all healthy and happy in the field but yes...those big lamby eyes when it comes to say goodbye  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 04:58:49 pm »
Yep, mine is 3/4 Suffolk 1/4 Bluefaced Leicester. As long as he has passed his meconium, he should be fine. Just like human babies, they all vary on how much they poo !! How much milk has he taken since you have been bottle feeding him ?  :sheep:
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 05:13:44 pm »
Yep, mine is 3/4 Suffolk 1/4 Bluefaced Leicester. As long as he has passed his meconium, he should be fine. Just like human babies, they all vary on how much they poo !! How much milk has he taken since you have been bottle feeding him ?  :sheep:
He's about three days old now I think - and was a wee bit runny overnight Carol said.  He's taking 100mls every feed, and so far he's had 4 feeds since 6 am this morning.  I think he'd take more but Carol said to keep him at that.  Don't want to upset his system.  He's on ABs too because of being found out in the cold when the ewe dropped him, and Carol has left lamb quick start as well if he needs it.  I can phone Rosemary if I need help.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 05:15:17 pm by doganjo »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 05:45:06 pm »
That is one seriously cute lamb.
You will learn never to ask me for name suggestions (unless you also like outrageous puns...)
So, given your lovely Brittanies, who clearly like little lambie, I did a google for Britney's friends... How's about Hilton - Britney's friend, and here he is staying with Annie at the Lambie Hotel!   ::) ::)

But he might be Hester re-incarnated and push me around! So I don't think so.
He's a pet lamb.  Pushing their staff around is what they DO.   ;)

Have fun, Annie.  Half-an-acre ... you could have a couple or three ...  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 06:06:59 pm »
STOP IT, STOP IT, STOP IT!  I just CAN'T keep him!  My kids would have me sectioned! ::) ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS