Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Please can you help me .. lamb is down & cant get up  (Read 4033 times)

nelsonlifestyler

Please can you help me .. lamb is down & cant get up
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:06:37 am »
Hi everyone
Im in need of some fairly urgent help here in New Zealand.. the land of Shrek  :wave: 
This morning i noticed one of my young gotland wethers had been sleeping in the same spot all morning, not eating, & the other lambs looked concerned.  He is 6 months old.
When I went to investigate he tried to get away from me but couldnt get up on his legs.  His eyes look bright but were kinda rolling (maybe was just scared of me). Couldnt tell if his gums were pale because he is a very dark sheep...dont think they are.  There was a bit of foam in his mouth & his stomach was gurgly & sloshed when I moved him.  His back legs kicked well when I tried to pick him up & his head flopped/swung uncontrolably to one side.. quite a way over his back.  He is now stuck on his side.
Poohs looks normal.. lamb size pellets & bottom is clean.  
I will go & drench him now & give Ketol.
Please can anyone help me with advice?  I have had sheep for 9 years & never seen anything like this.

UPDATE:  hubby came home & helped me move lamb into the shed.  He tried to walk but could not hold his head up &, even with my supporting his head, could not walk alone.  Head turns severely to the left all the time.  I have tried to curl him up into sleep position but he is just sitting there with his head turned weirdly to the left, feet out in front.  Gave him drench, selenium & mineral product & ketol from the drench gun which he really liked & was eagerly licking but I noticed some drippled out the left side of his mouth. We are wondering if he has had a stroke???
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:34:37 am by nelsonlifestyler »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Please can you help me .. lamb is down & cant get up
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 07:21:36 am »
What's he been eating. Listeriosis can sound a bit like this.
Hope he's beginning to improve  :-*

nelsonlifestyler

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 07:56:13 am »
Yes JayKay.. sadly I think you are right.  I have googled Listeriosis & he does look like the pictures of other sheep with this.  I cant imagine where he got it from... we dont feed out silage or hay. I have moved my other sheep to a different paddock & really hope its not in our ground.
He is not looking any worse tonight.. or any better. Apparently listeriosis takes them quite quickly. Maybe thats a blessing.
Have given him Vigest.. a liquid food suppliment which he ate eagerly but will see what the morning brings.  As he is a 'freezer' lamb, I cant justify the cost of calling a vet.. which last time was the price of about 4 sheep!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 09:36:00 am »
As he is a 'freezer' lamb, I cant justify the cost of calling a vet.. which last time was the price of about 4 sheep!
Sorry, but I don't see the point.  An animal is dependant on you regardless of it's eventual destination.  I cannot believe any UK  farmer that I know being so mercenary. JMHO
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 11:30:37 am »
If it is listeriosis - which was my first thought too - then he requires a dose of an antibiotic which can cross the blood/brain barrier.  Whilst you might not want to call out the vet, can you take him there in a pick-up, or at least ask the vet for a dose of the appropriate antiB?  The alternative I'm afraid is to humanely destroy him now - sorry. Even with antiBs, his recovery, if it happens, would be long with a lot of nursing care involved and he would probably never be right.
Please let us know what happens  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 02:04:04 pm »
Good advice Fleecewife.

It's always a difficult call with farm animals as opposed to pets - when all's said and done people have to make a living but we want to care for our animals too, or we'd earn our living in a different (easier!) way  :-\

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 02:18:51 pm »
I think in some ways this can be harder for the small holder than the farmer.  We have literally hundreds of sheep across which to amortise the costs of a large vet bill for one of their number.  If you only have 5, it's a bigger hit.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS