Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Micro pigs another programme  (Read 23254 times)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Micro pigs another programme
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2011, 07:48:37 pm »
Oakland has clearly said
No idea what standstill is about?

<sigh>

I think the question mark at the end of that sentence makes it clear that it was a rhetorical question, not a statement.

I also don't know what more can be done to clarify the legal position around keeping a single pig, since Oaklands has provided what looks to me like a very comprehensive and detailed breakdown of the relevant legislation.

To summarise: there is no direct statement in law that it's illegal to keep a single pig; there are clauses in legislation that imply that pigs should not be kept alone;  if you're intending to keep a single pig please take the time to check with the relevant authorities.

From a welfare perspective I don't believe it's healthy to keep a single pig, but that's not the law, just my opinion.  :)

So please, can we move on? (In case of doubt, that was another rhetorical question.)

Thanks,

Dan
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:40:55 am by Dan »

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2011, 01:31:58 am »
Why, oh why do so many seemingly straightforward discussions on here turn into personal fights? Surely the point of this forum is to help others. Or have I got that wrong, too?

TT, you are of course correct, and I am very happy to apologise for anything that might be interpreted as personal.

Oaklandspigs: it wasn't you I was referring to. I think you are always incredibly helpful to other forumers and offer sound advice. It just annoys me that some other people get so aggressive on here and turn everything into an argument.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

robert waddell

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2011, 09:58:28 am »
i thought this had been put to bed  ;) ;) ;)   there must still be embers glowing just needing a poke to get it going
i will take the opportunity to thank oaklands for heading up the saddleback breeders club and the GOS breeders club  the reason well Lillian won the poetry comp in the gos site and the saddleback club has a good going spat that started out about the BPA and is now developed into why am i breeding pigs (this may not be the right synopsis but it is mine )        just love it

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2011, 11:41:52 am »
Back onto the original subject - micro pigs another programme.  As it is unlikely that in the interests of balance television producers would make a film about the down side of micro pigs what would be the possibility of a book by one of the authors on this site?  Something like "Living with a house pig" could be written a little tongue in cheek but may just be a way of reaching the would be micro pig owners.  After all a Year in Provence had a massive effect on the British input into Brittany (just about everyone of us has either a copy or at least read that book), and there are many other examples of people changing their lives due to a book. 

I realise its a huge commitment, not one that many would have the ability to complete. 

Apologies in advance if this is a ridiculous suggestion. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:44:01 am by Hilarysmum »

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2011, 11:55:12 am »
After all the chat about it,did anyone actually watch said program?

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2011, 01:26:07 pm »
I thin you are well placed to write a book HH you make me laugh at the antics yours get up to! ;D and i think i;ve seen it suggested b4 xx
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2011, 03:06:29 pm »
Go for it, HM! I'm kind of expecting that Digby would be content just being proud of himself and having the biggest possible grin on his glowing face, whilst Hilary would claim author's rights!  ;D

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2011, 09:01:18 pm »
Yes go for it! we would all  enjoy proof reading it for you x

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2011, 09:40:07 am »
Thank you all very much, sadly dont have the vocabulary nor the ability, there are many on here who are really talented and I for one would be the top of the list to buy a copy ...

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2011, 10:42:19 am »
Just put all your forum posts together and call it "tales of a pig"...  ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2011, 03:54:14 pm »
I suppose a few pictures of Hilary in a bad mood might put a off a few prospective micro pig owners.... :pig:  She decided this morning that Digby is getting a few too many privileges and that it was her turn to help me to clean out the chickens.  Result only 1 egg for us this morning.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2011, 04:18:37 pm »
Any chickens left?? :o

;D

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2011, 06:02:29 pm »
Pics would be good. would love to see digby reclining on the sofa!! and a better pic of Hillary xx
Any info to put people off of micro pigs would also be good.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2011, 08:07:25 am »
Well pictures of Digby when he arrived and now might put anyone off.  Pictures of his latest sofa disaster would certainly deter anyone who likes a nice home.  And anyone with a small garden might like to see the Digby digging pit, and the Digby loo.  I have now probably put everyone off pigs full time.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2011, 05:23:56 pm »
I have now probably put everyone off pigs full time.

No chance!!  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS