Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Micro pigs another programme  (Read 23172 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Micro pigs another programme
« on: January 19, 2011, 10:40:16 pm »
Hopefully this one will put folks off inside out BBC1 Monday night time differs per region.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Micro pigs another programme
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 07:36:04 am »
I dont have telly can you post after the programme with comments or details please.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 08:41:22 am »
Will do

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 08:18:59 am »
Many thanks.  Will start on the tranquilisers now to prevent huge rise in blood pressure ...

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 11:07:04 pm »
I know makes your blood boil but the trailer looms like it's intended to put folks off not an advert. We will see.

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 02:56:38 am »
As I now live out in Oz I unfortutely don't how the oppurtunity to watch it.
We don't have Micro's in Oz, only miniture pigs, something I would love to do in the future.
The breeding of Micros in the UK seems to something that some breeders are not always doing too well, but why breeding a micro pig is any more difficult to breed than that of a commercial pig I do not fully understand, unless of course to con is that its not a "micro" pig but a commercail pig.
I would like to try and compile a list or be able to inform other people, in the UK and other countries, as to where you can purchase the genuine article.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 02:58:56 am by Stevie G »

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 07:50:48 am »
most of us here are not 'pro' micro pigs and all that it involves..............so i won't get started or i won't stop... >:(.................. breathe..... and relax ;D

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 01:32:10 pm »
I don't really see a major problem with breeding a micro/minature pig, and accept your veiws  and don't have a problem with them, but there are people who wish to purchase this type of pig, and I don't have a problem with that as long as they are housed correctly, that thay have plenty of space, and that they are well looked after. Inother words thay need to be kept in properly.
So inorder to try and do this let start with the breeder, and find out which ones are the genuine ones!!!!
So where is the best place to go in the UK????
Happy Hippy has mentioned Jane Scudamore and I am going to try to find the site for her pigs and get more info.
And thanks for the input. ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 02:05:27 pm »
I understand and completely respect your views.  Sadly micro pigs attract huge amounts of money and have become almost a fashion accessory.  Sadly the majority of micro pig breeders judging from their publicity outlets are more akin to puppy farms than accredited breeders.

:-[

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 02:27:40 pm »
Fully agree with you, but there must be some reputable breeders out there, so who are they or not is the question and can we find this out????
Lets hope we get somewhere!!!

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 04:33:08 pm »
Happy Hippy has mentioned Jane Scudamore and I am going to try to find the site for her pigs and get more info.
Wendy Scudamore runs the UK Kune Kune herd register, and is a well respected and highly knowledable KK breeder.  http://www.bartonhill.co.uk/cu.php

Jane Croft runs the "Little Pig Farm", and has been the subject of some controversy (see other posts on this)

Without restarting what have been heated debates, the main bone of contention seems to be between those who are happy to sell individual pigs to people to keep in houses, and those who feel that pigs should be kept  in at least two, and typically outdoors.  It is illegal to keep a pig on its own if a farmed animal (kept for breeding or meat) but allowed if it is a pet pig.   Some also have concerns on deliberately breeding small pigs to get smaller pigs. I merely state the views here, I am not restarting a debate.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 04:44:46 pm »
Sorry Stevie G - just linked to the Pigsite topic

www.thepigsite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=28491#post28491

and realised who you are, - you of course know all the above !

Have you confirmed that the phone no. in the original post is LPF?

The British Pet pig society morped into the Pet Pig club - Seems to be same people, just different name.
http://www.petpigclub.com/
this doesn't appear to have taken off either, but they do mention again a sanctuary, which would receive funds from the club after costs (but don't mention what costs eg staff time are included), so is difficult to tell how genuine this is. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 04:55:04 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 05:03:56 pm »
oaklands you posted that it is illegal to keep a single pig for breeding or meat i have a specific reason for asking and will inform after you post the info       thanks

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 05:10:04 pm »

I said Wendy ! Not Jane  ::) Only Jane I know connected with 'micro' pigs is Jane Croft - but I wouldn't advise anyone to contact her ;) ;D ;D ;D
Just wanted to clear that up - hate being mis-quoted !  :-\

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 07:07:05 pm »
oaklands you posted that it is illegal to keep a single pig for breeding or meat i have a specific reason for asking and will inform after you post the info      thanks

In England they come under the Welfare of Farmed Animals (England) Regulations 2007
Section 3 defines a farmed animal as
"3.—(1) These Regulations apply to farmed animals only.
(2) In these Regulations, a farmed animal means an animal bred or kept for the production of food, wool or skin or other farming purposes, but not including
(a)a fish, reptile or amphibian;
(b)an animal whilst at, or solely intended for use in, a competition, show or cultural or sporting event or activity;
(c)an experimental or laboratory animal; or
(d)an animal living in the wild."
and Schedule 8 (general conditions for pigs) states under section 5(2)
"The accommodation used for pigs must be constructed in such a way as to allow each pig to
(c)see other pigs, except
(i)where the pig is isolated for veterinary reasons; or
(ii)in the week before the expected farrowing time and during farrowing, when sows and gilts may be kept out of sight of other pigs;"

In Scotland, they come under the Welfare of Farmed Animals (Scotland) Regulations 2010, Section 3 is the same, but pigs come under Schedule 6, with section 5(2) of that schedule reading:
"The accommodation used for pigs must be constructed in such a way as to allow each pig to
(c)see other pigs, unless the pig is isolated for veterinary reasons;"
and an additional section 27 states
"In the week before the expected farrowing time and during farrowing, sows and gilts may be kept out of sight of other pigs."

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS