Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Good Abattoir Guide  (Read 213492 times)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Good Abattoir Guide
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2013, 01:13:23 pm »
Fifxx,

Thanks for that I have updated the abattoir website and added your views.

http://www.oaklandspigs.co.uk/links/abattoirs/

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2013, 01:01:32 pm »
Scotch Premier in Aberdeenshire have changed hands and are no longer doing private kill for pigs.

We now have a longer drive up to Miller's of Speyside, Morayshire.  They seem to have a good reputation but I will give more information in september once we take our pigs.

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2013, 05:27:10 pm »
Can you add/amend the entry for the following:

HMD Butchers, Three Crosses Swansea (Gower) - not recommended.

They don't kill many pigs, or do many private kills of any animal for that matter, mine was often the only pig there. Despite being a weekly customer they failed to tell me their butcher had left, not a problem while I was taking whole carcasses to my customer but became an issue when I needed a kill and partial cut. The vet seemed a bit OTT, I never got heart or liver, just kidneys, despite me asking repeatedly. They even took bits out of the head which the restaurant I sell to wanted.  Then they skinned a pig, kept head and trotters too so I was well down on weight. I know it happens but I didn't quite trust their explanation, skin rash apparently, but I got different stories from the different staff and the vet himself.  The last straw was when they decided on the morning of slaughter that I wasn't booked in, despite me using them every week and saying I'd see them next week, or telling them if I wasn't going to be there; I forgot to email them this time to confirm but I've phoned on the day with no probs before....Anyway I frantically rang round all local abattoirs and was fitted in same day by...

Cig Caron Oen in Tregaron - how helpful and friendly they were, extremely well priced, and literally saved my bacon that day. Unfortunately they're too far for me to use regularly but I'd give them 5 stars. They get awfully busy, so need to book ahead esp if butchering/sausages etc required.

Oh, PS... HMD had an awful smell, probably the uncovered haulage wagon sitting in the yard in the sun, full of blood and guts, being loaded continuously by the JCB bucket full, which often sloshed out in the yard where you drive in with the live animals...hmmmmmmm
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2013, 05:55:38 pm »
Cig Caron Oen is the abattoir I use. Definitely agree on how helpful they are.
They do pigs on a Wed and lambs on a Monday but told me if I needed both done they could do them both the same day for someone that had a way to travel.
Mind you, not sure how I would transport pigs and sheep together but thats another matter.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2013, 07:23:03 pm »
Thanks artscott, ferretkeeper and Bionic, I'll do an update of the website shortly!

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2013, 08:32:05 am »
I have updated the website to the latest version

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2013, 06:48:37 pm »
I spoke with Nigel Cummings (Procurement) for Maithers Inverurie and Scotch beef which are all owned by one company now. He told me today that they no lomger take in private kills. It was helpful to read the comments about Grantown on spey as we are considering using them in January when ours will be ready. Rhinds of Elgin (Morayshire) are not on your list btw, I spoke with them also today and they still take in private kills. I've always found them very clean and welfare conscious but they have become very pricey more recently.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2013, 06:05:46 pm »
Julie

Thanks fro the info, I have updated the guide

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

3acre

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2013, 01:31:57 pm »
Hi all.
 My wife and i are thinking of getting a couple of pigs in the near future and are trying to sort cost  etc can any one give any advice on an abattoir and the cost to slaughter a pig ? we are on the Devon Cornwall border.
 we have about three acres which will have an allotment polytunnel chickens and so on

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2013, 07:10:37 pm »
reply to previous post- J and j farmers mentioned in guide with a very [positive review which I would echo. small operation with on site butcher- always treat the animals with care and even tenderness- the old boy who unloaded our pigs last year was fabulous- "come on my beauties" in the gentlest devon voice. long long long bumpy lane is a hassle but otherwise couldn't recommend it highly enough if you care about how your animals are slaughtered.

bridget

• Joined May 2013
  • Highlands of Scotland
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2013, 01:52:28 pm »

" quote
We now have a longer drive up to Miller's of Speyside, Morayshire.  They seem to have a good reputation but I will give more information in september once we take our pigs."

My pigs went to Millers in Grantown on Spey.  They were taken on a private day and according to our butcher friend who took them all was very calm and without hassle.  Plus they were complimentary about the pigs and mentioned good pig husbandry so I was well pleased  :trophy: as there were two other berkshires there that day that they said were too fat.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2013, 11:04:21 am »
Thanks Devonlad and Bridget - I have added your comments to the guide

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

Pikeman

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2013, 08:41:50 am »
Can anyone recommend a good one in or near worcestershire please? We are on the Hereford side of worcestershire. Thank you

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2014, 01:15:58 pm »
I have had my pig back from Millers at Grantown now so thought I'd add to the feedback.

The place is easy to find, very friendly and the office staff are helpful and welcoming. The pig was unloaded at the lairage round the back and I was pleased to discover that the ramp and gates were the right size for my small trailer which isn't always the case at some places. The man let the pig take her own time to exit the trailer so it all went smoothly and with no stress for her.
Downside was there isn't a great deal of space to turn around back there so I had to unhook the trailer to turn round - a skilled driver would have managed it though.

The carcase was very nicely split right down the centre of the spine, expertly done and probably the best I've ever had back. Cutting chops is a nightmare if they wander off-centre. I got my own offal back as well as everything else I had asked for. I will be using them again and was very pleased.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2014, 02:08:18 pm »
thanks Julie, I'll update the guide shortly !

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS