Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Good Abattoir Guide  (Read 213387 times)

robert waddell

Re: Good Abattoir Guide
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2012, 02:24:20 pm »
it is a Long run for you     i have heard some from your way take them to Durham cant remember the name    dunblane are good they take up to 120 kilos pre  book in on a Monday  take them on a Tue morning and can get them back on wed :farmer:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2012, 07:16:48 pm »

It is a long run 89.7 miles according to the aa but Spennymoor, Durham is 100, Shotts 76 and Wishaw 84 so I figure the run to Dunblane will be easier. I dont want to use Shotts as they skin them if it suits them.
Anne

robert waddell

« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2012, 08:11:19 pm »
do you want instructions on how to get there once in dunblane and there phone number  :farmer:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2012, 10:22:34 pm »
We used to use Dunblane when we lived nearer there. That was for lambs then, but always found them very good.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2012, 06:57:43 pm »

I am thinking of taking my pigs to Dunblane, I am sure that I have heard someone mention them but don't see them on the guide.

DM,

They were on the guide, but I had a) not added Perthshire to the county list and b) Mis-spelled Dunblane :(   Have now corrected my mistakes !

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2012, 07:53:31 pm »

I am thinking of taking my pigs to Dunblane, I am sure that I have heard someone mention them but don't see them on the guide.

DM,

They were on the guide, but I had a) not added Perthshire to the county list and b) Mis-spelled Dunblane :(   Have now corrected my mistakes !

:thumbsup:
Anne

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2012, 07:54:22 pm »
do you want instructions on how to get there once in dunblane and there phone number  :farmer:

Yes please  :-*
Anne

robert waddell

« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2012, 08:18:50 pm »
pm sent :farmer:

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2012, 09:09:34 pm »
Just taken two pigs  this Monday on a 2 hour journey to Cyril Jones, for the second time now, due to our local abatoir 5 mins away being so unhelpfull yet again >:(

Cyril Jones are very helpful, and very friendly.  Last December they slaughtered and cut for us last minute as local abatoir E T Jones let us down despite being booked in 6 weeks prior.

I'd highly recommend them, it's just a shame they aren't closer.

http://www.jonesfarmshop.co.uk/Jones_new/Welcome.html

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2012, 08:04:04 pm »
We have used Ruse in Long Melford, Suffolk for years now. Yes, they are more expensive than the big place up at Eye but the number that they kill every Monday is very small.  Our pigs always seemed to be pretty relaxed, we have to wake them up unloading several times, and all has been very quiet on site.  Low key.

Very decent people. Will spend time with you, going through cut list etc.  They are always happy to discuss your carcass and meat when you get it all back.  I have often picked their brains for tips, whatever they thought of other breeds, rearing methods, weighs to bring in for whatever etc.   

Our last batch of boxes were superb.  Will offer added extras, gammon, bacon and sausages.  Good for the likes of me, who are limited on time and just want to offer a bit more to the customer.

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2012, 05:09:24 pm »
I recommend Wishaw abattoir having just used it as a first timer for 2 pigs. The girls on the phone were very helpful, and put me through to one of the managers to answer some of my queries that they could not answer. I was a little put off on arrival as I could find no-one to tell me what to do and where to go - I think you are just expected to get on with it yourself. As soon as I found out where to go in - reverse into the gates on left hand side of the building as you face it (a little tricky for me as an inexperienced trailer reverser but my brief practice paid off and fortunately there was no-one around to laugh at me and no queue to get irritated with me). And Tom the slaughterman was patient with me and the pigs in getting them out of the trailer. Cheryl was right I should have taken their pink plastic feed bucket and rattled it to get them out, but I felt it would be too embarrassing to be prancing around with a feed bucket in front of a group of guffawing slaughtermen. Next time I'll take it and I'm sure they'll come out a lot quicker.
I do admit I was very apprehensive about this first visit, not because of anything said about Wishaw, but from hearing people's experiences in general at abattoirs.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2012, 06:41:10 pm »
We took our pigs to Leech & Sons again in Melbourn (near Royston in Herts) earlier this week, a butcher / delicatessen with their abattoir at the back of the butchery. They are excellent in every aspect - from unloading the pigs to being helpful with cutting requirements (and since we make charcuterie we have quite a few unusual cuts). I watched one of the pigs being killed and was really impressed. I wouldn't sent my pigs anywhere else.
Book your animals in early as Leech's are very busy (we book them in a few months beforehand).

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2012, 06:25:57 pm »
Eve, Mrs. S and SimonO - thanks for your input - I have updated the guide on our website

http://www.oaklandspigs.co.uk/links/abattoirs/

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2012, 08:21:45 pm »
Scotch Premier in Inverurie lost 3 of our pigs in July this year, seemed a case of the left hand didnt know what the right hand was doing, we were NOT impressed because we had 'sold' those carcasses already.

Since then they have been taken over again and are Scotch Beef?  Well, trying to get 3 lambs away for private kill, 4 men I spoke to in less than 3 mins, am yet to get them booked in because they were full last week and we forgot to ring them today, will let you know.

Any other abattoirs near Aberdeenshire take pigs and lambs for Private Kill?????

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2013, 11:02:41 pm »
Hi there

Can you tell me when the next update of the guide is due to be published?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS