Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Good Abattoir Guide  (Read 213416 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Good Abattoir Guide
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2013, 10:24:02 pm »
Ardrossan abbatoir pit their pig-slaughter charges up from £30 to £48 just before Christmas :o
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2013, 05:26:59 pm »
Thanks all, have just updated the guide to include all the latest comments

www.oaklandspigs.co.uk/links/abattoirs

Let me have any further views, the more veiws the better the guide  !

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Websters Farm

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2013, 08:15:11 am »
Another +1 for William Taylor and Sons, Bamber Bridge, near Preston.

Family run firm, good to deal with, small throughput, look after the animals and will cut to your specification. Good price too.

Martin

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2013, 08:38:42 am »
thanks websters - will add shortly !

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2013, 04:55:47 pm »
Any recommendations for abattoirs in Northern Ireland?

Caemadoc

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2013, 09:15:46 pm »
For those in Southern Powys (Wales) BWL George at Talgarth, all my pigs go through there, nice small abbatoir off the back of the Butchery. They will butcher as well, although they have deals with other local butchers. PM me for more info!

windymiller

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2013, 09:44:27 am »
+1 for A H griffiths lentwardine.

rudolph76

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2013, 06:14:50 pm »
For those in Southern Powys (Wales) BWL George at Talgarth, all my pigs go through there, nice small abbatoir off the back of the Butchery. They will butcher as well, although they have deals with other local butchers. PM me for more info!
Took our two old spots there and cant rate them highly enough. Helped with the cuts we wanted, 1st time so had no idea, looked after our "pets" and were friendly. Just got two more pietrains x saddle-backs and they will be going there for sure. Only grumble is they wont do bacon  :(

kittergreennewbie

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2013, 10:56:26 pm »
Hi Mrs M. Will give them a ring soon. Have been looking fir a good abatoir close to me on t north york moors who will understand how important it is to us smallies that our livestock are treated that little bit specially. Also been lookin for one that can cope wi t fact that i am not a bloke! So thanks. I'll be sure to mention u n TSA when i go xxx

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2013, 10:37:33 am »
Hi Mrs M. Will give them a ring soon. Have been looking fir a good abatoir close to me on t north york moors who will understand how important it is to us smallies that our livestock are treated that little bit specially. Also been lookin for one that can cope wi t fact that i am not a bloke! So thanks. I'll be sure to mention u n TSA when i go xxx
Contact Smiffy on here he's at Egton so he should be able to help you. http://www.spanglefish.com/egtonbutchers/index.asp
 Egton Abattoir High Street Egton Whitby North Yorkshire YO21 1TZ Telephone: 01947 895171   hth mandy  :pig:

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2013, 02:42:06 pm »
I know that Woods is already listed, but I thought we would add an update. We have used Howards (Norfolk) in the past and would agree with the current listing, and more recently lincolnshire meat in Grantham ( our local) and agree with that listing also ( possibly more emphasis on the tight yard as we have a large stock trailer).

We have recently used wood and sons in Nottinghamshire and would like to add the following: Only place in vicinity that would take a large sow. Excellent entrance, wide open spaces for turning. No longer butchers on site. All pigs already present seemed very calm and quiet, the stockman was calm and patient with our slow sow, more so than with some we have met.

( you may want to abbreviate). We cannot yet comment on whether she will be headless on her return, but will post an update later- assuming I remember

Jo

sharpham

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2013, 10:44:55 am »
ankle depends on the breed if they are hairy the vet will condemn them unless they were to heavy :farmer:

Confused about the above. My pigs have the hair removed by the abattoir after death. The butcher then cuts the meat leaving the skin on. My boar is a cross used on a Gloucester Old Spot and the offspring are very hairy.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2013, 04:02:33 pm »
Robert is marked as a guest ... This makes me think that he no longer posts on here. So you might not get an answer.

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2013, 07:44:35 pm »
Update on Woods: Our large GOS sow (244kg deadweight, with rather more fat than would be considered healthy -her bullying nature when food was around another reason why she was dispatched) did indeed come back without her head (not a great loss tbh) but we were offered liver and lungs. She was cut into six pieces to make handling easier. OH said all was done very professionally.

Note: she did have her skin on, I have seen on other threads that some places take off skin on large pigs  if they cannot get them into the 'dehairer', this was obviously not a problem.
Jo

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2013, 09:24:30 pm »
Website for C&S meats Holnest, Sherborne Dorset http://www.candsmeatssherborne.co.uk/.  they are great, you feel as if you are on someones smallholding as there are turkeys and chickens everywhere and emus and deer in the field next to the car park!

Always very patient with ladies who have to back trailers, no sniggering that I could tell!  Never hurried to get animals off trailer and into pens. Gold stars!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS