Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First signs??  (Read 20844 times)

HappyHippy

Re: First signs??
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2011, 06:05:29 pm »
Piggin' pigs eh ?  ::) ;D ;D ;D She's definately taking her time  ::) But I'm confident you'll be okay for your new job on Monday (if you can bear to drag yourself away from piglet watching - you'll know what I mean shortly ;))
Once she starts she'll lie down, if she's doing that but seems to be straining with no result or distressed there might be a stuck piglet (but you'll know from the look of her, I'm just giving a possible 'worst case' to watch for)
I've said before that I'd rather go through labour than wait and watch my pig - think I'll have to ammend that to I'd rather do it myself than wait for anybodies pig  :o ;D
Karen x

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2011, 06:34:13 pm »
Ah thanks Karen we will be ok I'm sure. Ive got supplies ready in case I need to assist and I'm not squeamish so won't hesitate if she needs it. Worst comes to worst vet is on stand by as I've already rang to say she's farrowing.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2011, 10:24:24 pm »
Kims milk is flowing freely now. Is it likely to be hours now?

HappyHippy

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2011, 10:35:46 pm »
Yes - once the milk comes in they say 24 hours, but you've been getting colostrum for a wee while, so it's probably going to be sooner rather than later  ;)
Hope you're not feeling too tired  ;D It's exhausting isn't it ? lol!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2011, 10:40:31 pm »
Yeah I'm knackered frankly and she's yet to deliver! I've gotta go thru it again with aggie and she's not far behind.. Still bloody great and I'm going to Blub like a baby when theyre born  ;D ;D :pig: :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2011, 10:48:13 pm »
Ah, but you won't  ;)
The heart starts fluttering and you feel the adreniline pumping as you realise this is it, it's happening ! There's no time to get sentimental or slushy when it's all going on and once they're born you'll just feel so incredibly proud of yourself (and the pigs too, obviously ;)) and be mesmerised by the piglets  :love: :love: :love:
I'm the biggest softie too, but I didn't cry - I couldn't stop smiling long enough  ;)
Sending you lots of virtual 'hurry up Kim & Aggie' vibes  ;)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2011, 08:07:46 am »
We have babies! Good news is 9 vigorous healthy piglets, bad news is 1 born dead couldn't get it going at all and 1 runt that just won't suckle no matter how hard I try just can't get her to fight. I've spent hours warming her in tha aga then bringing her back to mom but no joy. I've even resorted to squeezing milk out to try to stimulate her but nothing. I've also tried warm cows milk to try to get something in her. I guess I have to resign myself to the fact she will die and that's natures way but it is sad and yes I'm blubbing. :-((

Still kimmie did beautifully and she's lay down feeding her babies grunting happily to them one proud mom.. Her and me :-))

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2011, 08:29:55 am »
Congratulations!!!   :pig: :love: :pig:

Keep trying with the runt, just might have been really tired last night.....and just might start feeding from Mum this morning.  Good luck  :)

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2011, 08:50:59 am »
Kim has started to shiver is that normal? Shs passed the afterbirth and I had a very quick feel inside and nothing there. Back legs restless too.. Is she ok ?

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2011, 09:06:59 am »
Been following this and I am so pleased for you, as pp said keep persevering runts often survive against all odds, our gilts shivered and became restless after farrowing and I was on the verge of calling the vet out but they settled after a few hours.  The guideline I was given that they should be up drinking and eating within 24hrs if they are not that is the time to become concerned.  I am sure she will be fine, just exhausted. good luck with the little one  :pig:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2011, 09:11:12 am »
Phew was starting to get really worried about to ring vet so thanks for that. She has eaten a bit lying down but really shivering now. Will keep an eye on her and keep trying with runt she's with mom now but just will not suckle.. :-(((

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2011, 09:37:58 am »
Well done - I think you had the whole of the nation (well the TAS nation anyway) following your piggies!!!!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2011, 09:43:17 am »
Thanks Anke. I couldn't have done this without the help and support from the TAS members. I won't do an oscars speech but thank you so much to everyone who helped with replies, I was very anxious and your support got us through. Bloody stars all of you THANK YOU!!  :love: :bouquet: :pig: :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2011, 09:54:49 am »
Congratulations.  If she is still shivering call the vet.  (I apologise if its nothing but better safe than sorry).  Wonderful news on piglets.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2011, 10:06:59 am »
No shivering has stopped a bit of afterbirth left which she has passed and now she's fine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS