Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First signs??  (Read 20777 times)

HappyHippy

Re: First signs??
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2011, 08:25:05 pm »
Laying down, rythmically grunting - mmmmm maybe she won't wait til the morning :-\
Is her breathing normal or starting to get a bit rapid (contractions) ?
Any tail swishing ?
Is it her first farrowing ?
I always think they go into an almost trance like state - just think of a woman giving birth, all hell could be breaking out around them and they wouldn't care.
Oh, I'm almost as excited as you  ;D Glad you've got a heater  ;)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 08:47:02 pm »
Her breathing seems normal and no tail swishing. It's her first farrowing so hoping between us we can figure it out  :o
She seems to be quiet enough and I can't feel any contractions when I put my hand on her belly but she was still drawing her back legs up and her vulva is much more swollen than Aggies.  Back down in an hour and let's see think it's going to be a long night  ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2011, 08:48:50 pm »
bet you wish you'd set up a web cam or something!!
good luck Kim  :)
Little Blue

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 09:05:08 pm »
God yes! Will sort that for next time that's for sure.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2011, 07:40:52 am »
Well I was up and down all night and still no piglets she's right back to being up and munching her breakfast this morning guess I was imagining things last night!
I really hope they deliver this weekend as I start a new job Monday. I delayed starting a week so I could be at home with the girls... Sods law but I'm getting confused as to why Kim is late. I posted on 29th nov that they didnt look in pig but both of them are now big and I haven't really upped their feed much as per previous advice just a little bit more since Xmas. I can feel babies moving in Kim anyway..
I'm going to sleep for a bit sending myself round the twist wondering what's going on. It's worse than when I had my kids !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2011, 09:11:39 am »
Don't worry, she will surprise you.   :D

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2011, 12:23:10 pm »
My god you were right! Milk is definately there and talk about nesting.. The only word I can think of is frenzied. She worried me actually no make that scared me as I made the cardinal sin of removing dirty straw from the pen which was fine for about 2 mins then as soon as fresh went back in she went frantic pawing at everything in sight trying to get her nest just right again.... Note to self not to do that again but she's used to being outside and had soiled close to the creep area so wanted it to be fresh and clean for birth...
She is still quite restless agitated even but fine with me not aggressive which is a relief but nevertheless bit worried to see her like this. I expect it's normal as she doesn't understand what is going on. I'm staying with her as much as possible and just stroking and reassuring her but when she has nest head on she's scary.. Pig possessed!
Her temp is also definately raised she's not hot but feels warmer than normal. I guess this is it then some time today or tonight we will have babies please god she and they will be fine.

HappyHippy

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 12:26:41 pm »
See what I mean about not wanting to share an arc with them when they're farrowing  ;)
She'll not be long mrs - I'm awaiting the report  ;D

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2011, 12:34:19 pm »
Too right no way on earth I'd want to be in an arc with her she is all instinct and hormones! Thought twice about getting in the pen with her but she was fine with me after she made her nest. she started pawing again a few mins before I came back to the house though, seems to be what she needs to do right now. Making a cuppa to take up there then sit with her I think.

HappyHippy

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2011, 12:37:31 pm »
Yup ! The nicest way to spend an afternoon  ;D
Stay calm and have towels to hand for drying them - you (and her) will be fine  :-*

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2011, 02:34:45 pm »
 Good luck fingers crossed for both of you. xx
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2011, 05:45:15 pm »
Thinking of you.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2011, 05:45:28 pm »
Still blumming nothing! Aggie looks to be about 24 hrs behind Kim though.
 She's nesting nicely now and behaving like Kim did yesterday. Hopefully they'll both deliver in time for me to get a good nights sleep Sunday before new job. Father in law has kindly offered to stay with them Monday if needs be, he grew up on a farm and his dad kept pigs so he's fine to watch them, only thing is they don't really know him so might not want him close. Still worry about that if it happens. Another long night tonight I think..

robert waddell

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2011, 05:49:35 pm »
use the time to fit a creep area in your pig pen otherwise the pig will use the heat lamp for herself

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2011, 05:51:18 pm »
got everything crossed for you all  :hshoe:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS