Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First signs??  (Read 20838 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: First signs??
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2011, 10:14:44 am »
Congratulations on your successful birth. So pleased for you.
Just come in from mucking out and having a cuppa, lovely to read your news. really cheered me up on what is an incredibly Yuk day up here. A real ray of sunshine.
take care all of you.
Mandy

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2011, 10:33:21 am »
I've called the vet she's shivering again.. :-(((

HappyHippy

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2011, 10:55:27 am »
First off Helen - congratulations !  ;D :love: ;D :love: ;D
11 for a first time farrowing is a good number, so sorry about the stillborn - but these things do happen. As JulieS says keep trying with the runt - even if you can make up a bottle and get it to take that ? I think you can make a weak solution using powdered baby milk if you can't get any colostrum - but double check with someone who's done it - I've not hand raised any myself. If it gets a feed and a rest, it may just perk up enough to take a feed from mum - if not, then at least you know you've tried  :-*
The shivering - I've noticed it with mine too. If you're at all concerned then the vet is definately the best option, but it is cold, she'll be as shattered as you are and when I get cold and tired I shiver too  ;) (Just trying to reassure you  :-*) Hope she's recovered soon, but let us know what the vet says. As Anke says - we've all been living the last few days with you and Kimmie, hugs and kisses to you all xxx

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2011, 11:32:02 am »
Helen, thank you so very  very much for sharing this incredible journey with us all, i have followed it from the beginning as many others have and its been incredible, reading your threads and seeing where you all up to, im not a pig owner never had any dealings with pigs, but you have taught me so much,

congratualations on the birth of all the babies,i hope the runt pulls through for you,

will follow this and see how everyone gets and wait for the next birth, fingers crossed for that.

happyhippy, you have been amazing with your support and advice, thank you also for being part of this incredible thread, you have also taught me so much, your support has been second to none

:pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :bouquet: :hshoe: :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2011, 12:09:48 pm »
happyhippy, you have been amazing with your support and advice, thank you also for being part of this incredible thread, you have also taught me so much, your support has been second to none
 :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :bouquet: :hshoe: :wave:
Stop it ! - you're making me blush  ;)
I like talking and if I can talk sense then it's always a bonus - I'm more than happy to help anyone, in whatever way I can  :-* :-* :-*

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2011, 12:59:50 pm »
Couldn't agree more HH I owe you big time!
Right so vets been nothing to worry about examined her slight temp but only slight gave her oxytocin and half a jab of penicillin. Note to all pig owners build or buy a crush! Kimmie was a star but wouldn't let vet give all of penicillin so hubby's got the saw out again so i can try to give her the rest later.
She did pass more afterbirth so glad I got the vet out. Doesn't look good for runt though. Vet gave me a syringe so I milked Kim  a bit and gave her some but isn't even swallowing I'm afraid so sad.
Vet left me some oxytocin to give aggie straight after she delivers so that'll be a challenge for me then.
What a few days eh! Glad others have enjoyed this thread. Will let you know when round 2 kicks off!  :o ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2011, 01:17:22 pm »
Congratulations to you and Kim ... and Boris the boar (have I remembered his name?  be a first!)
wow - 11! no wonder she wasnt rushing to give birth to all that many!!
:)
Little Blue

HappyHippy

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2011, 01:29:14 pm »
It is sad about your wee runt Helen, but you know you've done all you can. Without sounding too twee - this is nature's way of making sure only the strongest survive, you're doing all you can and if it turns out not to be enough (though I keep hoping she'll surprise you like her mammy did  ;)) then it's just part of the circle of life.
When it comes to giving jags we've managed (have to say we, cos I've not jagged my boar - leave that job to hubby, he can jump higher  ;)) to get through it without a crush. My way of doing it - get organised (better with 2 of you) one person stands by with primed needle at the ready while the other puts her food down, as soon as her head hits the trough get that needle in her bum and empty it quick as a flash. She's likely to lift her head and wonder what happened, but should return to eating quite happily. I think it's all in the timing, get her just as she starts eating and she's distracted enough by that, not to notice  ;)
As for Aggie's oxytocin - she'll still be kinda phasing in and out at the end of farrowing so you should manage to give it a bit more easily (hopefully) fingers, toes and everything crossed - maybe tonight will be another sleepless one ?
Good luck and give Bonking Boris an extra apple from me  :-*

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2011, 02:05:08 pm »
You have done everything you can for the little one, well done and glad mum has been checked over  :pig:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2011, 03:43:18 pm »
Yeah can do no more for the little un but still really sad to watch her fade.. This is part of it I know and it's the harsher side of breeding any animal but I'm expecting to find her dead tomorrow and that makes me so sad.. Natural selection though and nature can be cruel.. Still must focus on the positive 9 vigorous piglets and a mom that's doing a darn good job she is being so good no problem with me handling her and babies and very attentive mom.
Boris has hit the spot big time, bonking Boris was a good name for him then! Extra food tonight for the big man :-)))

princesspiggy

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2011, 04:46:33 pm »
well done. mine are shivering today and theyv done nothing!! good luck

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2011, 07:23:00 pm »
Congratulations!  ;D
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2011, 12:40:56 am »
Fab news, congratulations!

:wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS