Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: flu  (Read 2537 times)

kbomgte

• Joined Jun 2010
flu
« on: January 07, 2011, 03:16:35 pm »
how do you know if your pig has swine flu?

HappyHippy

Re: flu
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 03:28:25 pm »
Eh, are you serious ?  :-[
Pigs (as far as I know) don't get swine flu, swine fever, on the other hand, is a whole different matter - here's a link to some info on notifiable diseases and on the site there's an A-Z of all animal diseases
http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/diseases/atoz/notifiable.htm
HTH
Karen

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 03:31:53 pm »
pigs can get influenza from humans if it is piglets they are dead within hours of contact
as far as swine flu it did not start from swine it is a mix including avian flu Egypt killed all there swine in the first wave of swine flu
if you have swine flu there are precautions you have to take to prevent it being transmitted to pigs
the bpa can advise or your vet
if you suspect your pigs have swine flu contact your vet and they will test for it remember your health is at risk as well as your pigs

it gets more attention (swine flu)than if it was called its proper name others more into it will contribute

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 03:58:03 pm »
Pigs do get flu, and very poorly it makes them too.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 04:19:58 pm »
I'm not saying they don't get flu VSS, sorry if it came across that way - I was just meaning that 'swine flu' is a human disease rather than a porcine one  :-[
As Lillian says it's a mix of lots of flu strains, but (as far as I'm aware) it didn't originate in pigs and isn't likely to affect them (unless they're infected by a human with it, maybe ? I'm not sure on that ???)
Just wanted to clear up any confusion over what I said  ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 04:37:55 pm »
happy hippy you are right    they should never have called it swine flu
made in sombodys back shed with the intention of infecting humans while being tracked from mexico with anti virals  does not grab you the same  but then it just my take on it
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 07:51:00 am by Dan »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 05:47:05 pm »
Lilian I spend so much time watching your avatars my OH is considering banning me from the site!!!!!!   :D :D

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 05:50:21 pm »
and there is more

kbomgte

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 09:49:16 pm »
i was justing asking.  was looking for symptoms of swine flu in humans as kids are under weather and came on a site saying it was a respiratory disease of pigs that cause type  A influenza viruses that cause regular out breaks in pigs. SITE IS THE BEEHIVE. make it easy.

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 10:10:02 pm »
kbomgte   not to sure what you are saying here my first responce to your question was from personal experience(lost a whole litter but one to influenza pm done to verify)  if i suspected any of my family had swine flu i would not be be asking on this forum or any forum for advice or comments goggled the site quoted and blow me bees and beehives if you could give the full link that would be a start

kbomgte

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 10:35:52 am »
www.thebeehive.org.  just was looking for symtoms of swine flu to just make sure it was not that the kids had. and came across site that said it came from pigs.  just thought i would ask on this site to see if it were true that pigs can have it as heard before it did not

princesspiggy

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 04:56:11 pm »
i thot pigs cud get it from humans and vice versa, spoke to animal health about it and they said to keep pigs away from public access etc to reduce risk. my kids had the swine flu jab so dont have to worry about dorothy and delilah getting it from them  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS