Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First signs??  (Read 20840 times)

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: First signs??
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 05:03:50 pm »
good luck  :pig: :pig: :pig: :wave:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 05:13:57 pm »
Thanks Karen I'm thinking I won't be convinced until piglet # 1 arrives lol!  She's still absolutely normal so doesn't look likely tonight... Maybe she'll oblige me and deliver in the day time.. She is a very obliging girl.. Well as pigs go she is  ;D  ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 06:41:28 pm »
Here's hoping  ;)
Adelaide's a wee star too (Kune Kune) but she still decided to wait til 2am to farrow ! Thankfully last time was August, so it wasn't too bad doing the hourly checks through the night (yes, I know I'm totally anal lol!) this time it's 30th Jan she's due (perfect for spring piglets going off to new homes ;)) but it's gonna be a tad chillier, thank goodness for pocket handwarmers that I got as a stocking filler  8) ;D ;D ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 07:16:51 pm »
happy hippy you are not alone if you truly care for you stock all should be doing the same with pigs especially no use comming on here moaning about dead and flatpacked piglets or lambs drowned in the sack same as calves if you have not got live ones you can not sell them or eat them the Hampshire pigged on Monday started at half eight and finished at three thirty in the afternoon14 with 3 dead i died after

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 08:06:01 pm »
thinking of you and the girls Helen.
if one starts nesting, the other may follow suit even if she's not quite ready.  And the pheromones she produces giving birth could possibly set of the other.   (you ever heard of women who live or work closely together having sychronising periods? all to do with pheromones  :) )

good luck...
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 08:24:29 pm »
but with sheep you have to watch out for lambs being stolen by another, not-quite-ready-to-pop ewe, while the other one is having the twin/triplet... not sure if pigs do the same. thats why being present with lambs is so important. I had two ewes producing 5 between them early one morning last year - it was a bit of a scramble to sort out who's was who's....

all the best for the piglets.

have you had your three cups of tea/coffee yet? I was told it takes 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days and (at least) 3 cups of tea before farrowing....

Anke.

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 08:32:09 pm »
once we had a cow that tried to steal another's calf (she had twins) every day for two wks she would try and get one of the twins then when she calved her calf was dead born  never had a problem pairing them up
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 06:22:39 pm by lillian waddell »

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 09:38:44 pm »
Thanks for all the supportive comments all. Things are still the same both have made nice beds but no milk or kicking at bellies so I guess I'll check them as late as possible then if still no sign up for 5:30 ish.

HappyHippy

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 09:52:20 pm »
That sounds like a plan  ;)
I'm getting ready to tackle the re-furb of my redundant cattle shed into a piggy paradise (for farrowing, isolation and if the weather gets too nasty in the winter for them, I'm SUCH a softie lol!) - and it will be getting a web cam or cctv style set up (just so I can sit inside in comfort and watch her like a hawk !) ;) ;D ;D ;D
Oh look, a pink rabbit  :bunny: ;D ;D ;D

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 10:16:38 pm »
Yes you are Karen but hey aren't we all really. My life has been consumed by my girls and Boris poor horses aren't getting a look in at the moment. Still will make it up to them soon  ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 06:37:35 pm »
Any news Helen ?

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 07:09:24 pm »
Well I'm unsure tbh. I squeezed her back teats earlier and it looked like there was a tiny drop of milk not In all though and just a very little droplet. Done it again just and again tiny drop also she seems to be bringing her back legs up a bit. I'll go back down in an hour and check. Think I'll start hourly checks now just to be on the safe side.
Im still wondering if I'm imagining it though!

robert waddell

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 07:13:43 pm »
thats the motorbike getting started
cold night for it

HappyHippy

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 07:19:11 pm »
Nah, you're definately not imagining it, she's just taking her time  ;)
Hourly checks sound like a good idea, but I hope she gets started soon for you !
Get wrapped up and dig out that thermos - thinking of you and your piggies  :-*
(Gut instinct makes me think you're probably about 12 hours away, but what do I know lol!)  :wave:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 07:29:19 pm »
It's certainly cold enough for it tonight! I've got a heater down there so I'll get that on and with a flask won't be that bad.
She's not vigorously striking her stomach with her back legs but as she's lay down seems to be rhythmically doing it slowly off and on as she grunts.
I reckon it will be quite a while yet, if I'm not imagining it lol! At least Aggie isn't starting tonight too  :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS