Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Corona Virus  (Read 28770 times)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Re: Corona Virus
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2020, 07:05:52 pm »
We are in the perfect position here to avoid contacts with children and public transport and being in a very high risk category we are taking things canny.  Face it, with few intensive care beds likely to be available and no ECMOs in Scotland and precious few in England, we are not going to be at the front of the queue .  The NHS has already prepared the way by saying they will have to 'make difficult decisions' - this is medic speak for 'over 60? Tough luck' and so it should be.  Taking reasonable precautions seems only sensible.

I like to think we are too!

Loo and Kitchen roll in stock (not as bad as the van in the papers!!), dad has had pneumonia several times, mums a wreck and on that many pills she rattles, I've been sniffling since the flu jab wore off and colds for me usually go to my chest and I bark like a dog (I'm 46) so mum asks if my will is uptodate!

So, trying to limit where we go (its in Shropshire, but not around us, yet) took dog to vet last week, going back this week,  different vet practice came for castration last week, that vet practice for estrumating today, AI on Saturday, so as long as I'm not contagious or none of the vets are, we're fine, though you can see how it gets about many and I'm only by myself!

And I still haven't planted my spuds, meant to do it last Wednesday and every day since!

Also Eddie doesn't harbour any ill feelings towards me regarding loss of testicles!! Though his mother today didn't half eye up the vet!!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2020, 07:42:52 pm »
arobwk , I remember such a fizzy drink we also had with our Sunday dinner, a neighbour used to make and supply half the village with it. It was called small beer and was beautiful, how it was made I don't know.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2020, 09:48:31 am »
Fleecewife I hear you - a cruise for me would be a total nightmare scenario and I'm afraid I don't feel much sympathy for those on board  ::) I can be hard  ;). But Shetland gets HUGE numbers of cruise liners arriving throughout the year and there is always some hideous virus on board, I personally would ban them :tired:
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2020, 12:04:01 pm »
Fleecewife I hear you - a cruise for me would be a total nightmare scenario and I'm afraid I don't feel much sympathy for those on board  ::) I can be hard  ;) . But Shetland gets HUGE numbers of cruise liners arriving throughout the year and there is always some hideous virus on board, I personally would ban them :tired:

Ships were the vectors of The Black Death too  :o   I suppose that's why Shetland has cases already, all those people pouring ashore, using the loos and cafes without so much as a hand wash, then rushing off to infect somewhere else!  And folk pay money for the pleasure  ???   :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2020, 12:10:38 pm »
Found the thread - knew I'd seen it on TAS somewhere - you were right, Sally, it was listed as one word.  But in fact it should be two.  It is a virus of the corona type and is a new strain hence CO (corona) V (version/strain) ID (identification) - 19 (first recorded strain in 2019

The common cold is a corona virus too :coat:

They are now admitting, quietly, that it's actually SARS-CoV-2 ie the second instar of SARS, but they didn't want to scare the people with the truth (imagine a sad shake of the head icon here)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2020, 06:21:02 pm »
You have to love the British response to a pandemic... carry on. "Wash your hands" - It's an airborne virus, Boris. Washing hands might be good hygeine but it'll make bu@@er-all difference to most people apart from giving them something to do. Other countries with a deteriorating situation close down meetings and groups - so let's not do that. In fact we'll stop testing people unless they're hospitalised 'cos it just makes the numbers look bad..
A reality check here folks...This vid from a noted expert sums it up https://youtu.be/cZFhjMQrVts

And this is serious - the figures are hard to really pin down but the death rate will be a significant percentage (and I'm also in the high demographic). Without really stamping down on movement etc we're looking at possible tens of thousands (or more) croaking. Isolating oneself is about the best one can do but again reality is that over several weeks ya going to have to go out to get something or another.

Meanwhile stock markets hammer anyone's pensions - down at least a third already. Which just means I have to survive a few years until they pick back up (or croak early so I don't depend on it).

Your best protection is to stay several yards from anyone else and in good ventilation. Best of luck to us all.....

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2020, 08:25:06 pm »
Mrs Womble just came back from the supermarket, and reports that they were sold out of all kinds of things, from loo roll to pasta and tinned tomatoes.

I said I was confused about the loo roll shortage, but she told me it's pretty obvious, since every time somebody sneezes, another fifty people crap themselves  :o  .

Buckle up folks - this is far from normal, and won't be over any time soon.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2020, 08:37:11 pm »
I had time from work to go shopping this afternoon,3 bag layers pellets, bag of alfalfa and some yeast and bread flour, have I missed anything ?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2020, 09:00:56 pm »
 :roflanim: :roflanim:
I had time from work to go shopping this afternoon,3 bag layers pellets, bag of alfalfa and some yeast and bread flour, have I missed anything ?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2020, 08:59:01 am »
Fleecewife I hear you - a cruise for me would be a total nightmare scenario and I'm afraid I don't feel much sympathy for those on board  ::) I can be hard  ;) . But Shetland gets HUGE numbers of cruise liners arriving throughout the year and there is always some hideous virus on board, I personally would ban them :tired:

Ships were the vectors of The Black Death too  :o   I suppose that's why Shetland has cases already, all those people pouring ashore, using the loos and cafes without so much as a hand wash, then rushing off to infect somewhere else!  And folk pay money for the pleasure  ???   :roflanim:

:roflanim: Yeah you'd think that was it but it was actually from a couple on a skiing holiday in Italy. Gawd, can you imagine having the plague instead of coronavirus!  :o
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2020, 09:29:13 am »
The plague is still doing the rounds in some areas including America.

I panic bought yesterday.  The local ag store has an offer of £1 off wood shavings so I ordered a pallet.  I also got 4 bags ewe and lamb and 3 of lamb weaner along with 3 bags of dog food.  I will not need to go again for three weeks.

In Aldi this morn and a store worker was saying to another that surely people had to stop buying soon as someone else was emptying a full box of 2 minute rice bags into their trolley.  I almost felt guilty at getting a pack of kitchen roll.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2020, 11:32:12 am »
I don't understand the obsession with toilet roll - if it was a tummy bug yes, but for this they'd be better with cough mixture and brufen
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2020, 11:46:18 am »
Got a great one at my sons school; business as usual, just increasing hand washing and not drinking from water fountains. Because this is all that China needed to do to contain the spread of this virus. Still, box ticked ;-)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2020, 12:01:15 pm »
For those of you interested in statistics, a worldwide view, epidemiology and some very hard facts, see this article, with 17 million views in the past 48 hours: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca   It's a long article but to cut to the chase - start social distancing (two metres min) NOW to reduce the death rate from 5% plus to 0.5%.
Take it seriously guys.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2020, 05:19:13 pm »
Well, I've just spent the day leading a design review meeting over Skype with people in four different locations.

Oh wow, what a trauma! "Can you see my screen?" "Yes, it's a drawing of a road". "No, that's what I had up there five minutes ago".

"Hello?"

"Is there anybody""Ican'thearathingsoI'mgoingtotalkacrosseverybodynow".

Then the client got annoyed because we didn't get everything finished today. Small bloody wonder!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS