Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Corona Virus  (Read 28899 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Corona Virus
« on: March 09, 2020, 12:44:00 pm »
I did a search for it and it came up blank.  Has no-one used these words?  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Corona Virus
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 01:32:09 pm »
Which search engine are you using? Google Chrome comes up with lots of postings.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 01:36:51 pm »
It’s all one word, Annie

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 02:26:50 pm »
But even if you use two words, you still get lots of posts.................

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 05:38:37 pm »
On here, I mean.  I know what it is.  My husband was a virologist and worked on corona before he died in 1991
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 05:39:13 pm »
I did a search for it and it came up blank.  Has no-one used these words?  :innocent:

Lucky us - accept that it is now searchable on TAS !!! 

[ I've been wondering about the Corona fizzy drinks brand (a memorable thing from my childhood), so I did a search today - seems use of the brand name ceased in the 1990s.  If it hadn't been, it would surely be dead in the water now !
A closely related childhood memory is Herby Beer - I seem to think it was available as a bottled extract for home brewing (which my parents did).  At the time, my sisters and I had no idea that the rather nice glass of fizz we were allowed with Sunday lunch was actually an alcoholic beverage.  My parents have a lot to answer for  :D
It was really really nice, but I can find no trace of anything similar today.
Does anyone else remember Herby Beer from the 60s (or later maybe) ? ]
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 05:48:24 pm by arobwk »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 05:46:15 pm »
Found the thread - knew I'd seen it on TAS somewhere - you were right, Sally, it was listed as one word.  But in fact it should be two.  It is a virus of the corona type and is a new strain hence CO (corona) V (version/strain) ID (identification) - 19 (first recorded strain in 2019

The common cold is a corona virus too :coat:

If you can't find the fizzy corona drink #arobwk there's beer   :roflanim:

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 06:03:31 pm »
The common cold is a corona virus too

Unfortunately I have one of those right now - drip drip sneeze.  Not a good mix right now for any essential visit to the supermarket.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 06:40:20 pm »
Bitto. Schniff.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 07:57:25 pm »

Oh yeah, there is, indeed, a Corona branded beer available now.  I wonder whether its sales will dip because of the brand name ?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 11:22:12 pm »

Oh yeah, there is, indeed, a Corona branded beer available now.  I wonder whether its sales will dip because of the brand name ?

According to Adam Hill on 'The Last Leg', 38% of Americans who normally would, are not drinking Corona beer because of the virus  ::)   I can think of many more important and effective measures they could take to avoid the virus  :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 07:36:55 am »

They have.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 08:22:50 pm »
So are you guys with 'sniffles' self-isolating yet? Wonder how many people are going to be taking sickies  :D Honestly I know its a serious issue - two confirmed cases in Shetland :o
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 01:54:01 pm »
We've just postponed the Ceilidh we were to have on Friday 27th (Falkirk Fiddle Workshop hosting the Skelpit Lug Dance Band)

We did it mainly because we felt the mass hysteria would seriously deplete our attendance numbers.

We hope to hold it mid June if everything settles down.

In the meantime, my pal Enid is stuck on a cruise ship heading for the Bahamas as it was refused docking at Barbados, from where she was to fly home to Scotland tomorrow.  The passengers aren't confined to quarters despite 4 crew members being positive and confined to their cabins. I told her to enjoy - the weather is better there than here  :innocent: :roflanim:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 03:28:41 pm »
I feel vindicated for my mortal horror of cruises - I've always thought of a cruise as the very worst possible 'surprise' 50th anniversary gift.  My offspring have been warned!

We are in the perfect position here to avoid contacts with children and public transport and being in a very high risk category we are taking things canny.  Face it, with few intensive care beds likely to be available and no ECMOs in Scotland and precious few in England, we are not going to be at the front of the queue .  The NHS has already prepared the way by saying they will have to 'make difficult decisions' - this is medic speak for 'over 60? Tough luck' and so it should be.  Taking reasonable precautions seems only sensible.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS