Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pet hates  (Read 15640 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Pet hates
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2020, 10:38:55 am »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2020, 11:52:49 am »
I still type with two fingers and have to look for the letters, so when 'i' looks the same as 'o' I have a whole load of corrections to make. It's why all my posts are modified.....
I often reverse letters - 'teh' instead of 'the' for instance, so I use the preview button and correct my errors before posting,

I do that too, but it's easier to see the whole thing once its posted so I do both  ::)  Then I add in the bits I forgot first time around.....
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2020, 06:21:20 pm »
I don't like total skin covering tattoos. Having spent my working life caring for others, I know what happens after 50 years, to tattoos placed in some positions more than others.  I don't mind a small tattoo, a dragon or a rose or a butterfly perhaps, but covering your entire body in ink is something I just don't find appealing.  I know it's an expression of personal freedom, so I try not to look  :tired:

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2020, 07:35:06 am »
Inappropriate use of the letter N in phrases like 'an historic'.
The H is not silent and so using 'an' instead of 'a' makes it sound totally disjointed and is an uncomfortable mouthful to say.

Yes, I know it's how it's supposed to be written/said in standard English but in this case its simply wrong.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2020, 08:45:41 am »
The H is not silent and so using 'an' instead of 'a' makes it sound totally disjointed and is an uncomfortable mouthful to say.

Yes, I know it's how it's supposed to be written/said in standard English but in this case its simply wrong.
Disagree - it depends how you enunciate the phrase and local accent may have an effect there.And nothing wrong with a little grammar whimsy.
It's misappropriation of words, tautology and over dramatisation that winds me up:-"Organic vegetables" - show me some inorganic vegetables first."...great, big...""Every single day" = daily. "Scarred for life" = scarred, "Outrage" over something trivial...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2020, 10:20:45 am »
This completes my trilogy, for now.
What is it with keyboards? The letters on our previous keyboard were fast disappearing after only a year of use, so we bought a new one a month or so ago.  It only cost £7, so a cheapy from China, but already 'o' is indistinguishable from 'i', and 't' looks like a disembodied gibbet  ::)
Given the earth changing technology hidden inside the keyboard, can't they get the letters to stick?
Do I have to chuck out the Rolls because the ashtray is full?
Cheap rubbish then.   :excited:  I have two laptops, a hudl, samsung phone, and a pc with a Trust keyboard - all at least 2 years old and none showing any sign of keyboard wear. 

Ah, just had a thought - maybe that's why - finger pushes are shared between them  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2020, 12:28:24 pm »
This completes my trilogy, for now.
What is it with keyboards? The letters on our previous keyboard were fast disappearing after only a year of use, so we bought a new one a month or so ago.  It only cost £7, so a cheapy from China, but already 'o' is indistinguishable from 'i', and 't' looks like a disembodied gibbet  ::)
Given the earth changing technology hidden inside the keyboard, can't they get the letters to stick?
Do I have to chuck out the Rolls because the ashtray is full?
Cheap rubbish then.   :excited:  I have two laptops, a hudl, samsung phone, and a pc with a Trust keyboard - all at least 2 years old and none showing any sign of keyboard wear. 

Ah, just had a thought - maybe that's why - finger pushes are shared between them  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Whereas we have one keyboard shared by two of us.  Also as I type with two fingers ( :-[ ) I probably put quite a bit more pressure on each key than touch-typers do.  What gets me is that something which in one respect is high tech, and unimaginable just a few decades ago, is let down by poor quality now.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2020, 12:36:22 pm »

I think it originates from the 1800s when one didn't pronounce the 'h' in some words such as hotel.  It was the posh way to not pronounce 'h'.  Language changes, but really nowadays nobody uses, or at least not very many people use 'an' before an 'h'.  Now, as you say, because many folk do pronounce the 'h', using 'an' is obsolete.

I used to get annoyed at 'definately' instead of 'definitely'.  Now though I realise it's part of the changes that occur in language pronunciation and emphasis.  It's hard to put extra emphasis on 'it', if you don't put it on 'def'.  All great fun.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 12:38:50 pm by Fleecewife »

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2020, 12:38:06 pm »
I just had a  good look at the 'faded' letters on the main keyboard here. They are the uncommon keys and sadly it's the layer of grime masking them - perhaps a clean due :-[

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2020, 12:44:58 pm »
I just had a  good look at the 'faded' letters on the main keyboard here. They are the uncommon keys and sadly it's the layer of grime masking them - perhaps a clean due :-[

So..... how many took a good look at their keyboard?
 :coat:

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2020, 12:50:23 pm »

I think it originates from the 1800s when one didn't pronounce the 'h' in some words such as hotel.  It was the posh way to not pronounce 'h'.  Language changes, but really nowadays nobody uses, or at least not very many people use 'an' before an 'h'.  Now, as you say, because many folk do pronounce the 'h', using 'an' is obsolete.

I used to get annoyed at 'definately' instead of 'definitely'.  Now though I realise it's part of the changes that occur in language pronunciation and emphasis.  It's hard to put extra emphasis on 'it', if you don't put it on 'def'.  All great fun.
Another sad decline of prose, grammar and pronunciation in contemporary dystopia exemplified  by the common and the nouveau riche primitives invading society under the guise of equality - Innit? :roflanim:
More seriously the rise of sound-bites, newspeak and no imagination doesn't bode well for future prose and poetry. Rap doesn't cut it for me.
Edit - Yes, I can speak Arthur Daley or the Queen's version.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 12:52:11 pm by pgkevet »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2020, 12:54:56 pm »

Another sad decline of prose, grammar and pronunciation in contemporary dystopia exemplified  by the common and the nouveau riche rimitives invading society under the guise of equality - Innit? :roflanim:
More seriously the rise of sound-bites, newspeak and no imagination doesn't bode well for future prose and poetry. Rap doesn't cut it for me.

I used to think that way too when I left school with my posh accent, but now I see that language is a living, breathing, dynamic entity, growing and changing all the time.  Good Rap is rather brilliant if you listen closely, and some old poetry is stultified nonsense.  :innocent:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2020, 01:00:42 pm »
a horse

a house

a hotel

An house, horse, hotel much more difficult to say.

BUT - what about initials commonly used,, can't figure tehm out sometimes - for instance IDK, IDC, IMHO, ICYMI, PMSL, ROTFLMSS - oops GTG  :coat:

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2020, 02:34:25 pm »
The 'an' depends on classic pronunciation and emphasis. So a horse, a house, an hotel. A history but an historic.....
An 'orse it ain't...unless you woz drugged up proper bad and refer you the power supply as 'the electric'

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2020, 05:15:27 pm »
The 'an' depends on classic pronunciation and emphasis. So a horse, a house, an hotel. A history but an historic.....
An 'orse it ain't...unless you woz drugged up proper bad and refer you the power supply as 'the electric'

Doesn't everyone do that nowadays?  :rant: :rant: :rant:  the electric.  Something like nounifying an adjective  ::) :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS