Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pet hates  (Read 15639 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Pet hates
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2020, 01:17:02 am »
is that why I sometimes have the creepy feeling someone else is putting words in my mouth?

:roflanim:

OK, I have one, although it makes me giggle rather than making me mad:  I have just read the phrase 'a fine toothcomb' three times in one book.  Teeth are not usually so furry that they need to be combed, but combs do have teeth which are fine.  Those fine-toothed combs so beloved of school nurses.  Or maybe I'm just nit-picking  :knit:

GROAN! at that last (an appreciative groan, I do love a good pun :) )

One of my current pet hates in similar space is "of" for "have" : "I should of known", etc.  But language grows and is shaped by those who speak it, so I expect "of" will be defined as "have" in some later edition of one of the UK dictionaries.  I am still finding it unsettling to discover that things we were taught at school as immutable facts were in fact just a snapshot in time, and you can't be sure that anything you think is true still is!  Even history, as it gets rewritten by different voices.  (And all the better for that, when the later voices were the previously silenced ones.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2020, 10:32:30 am »
You really want to get me tub-thumping about take-away coffee being synonymous with the ills of the UK, the greatest examples of profligacy and subconscious manipulation?? I can write reams on that subject...

Go for it! I am all ears  :D
First I'd like to offer my sympathies regarding your cosmetic problems. (unless they are a  normal characteristic or your cultural sub-division - in which case i apologise for bringing up the matter and hope that didn't cause any offence)
Secondly be be careful what you wish for....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2020, 12:37:51 pm »

This one's about Science Fiction, and maybe it just applies to screen versions. Why is all (supposedly) intelligent life portrayed as walking upright on two legs?  This was of course inspired by Sally's 'I'm all ears'  :roflanim:   I was watching the birds at my birdtable (and yes, they walk upright on two legs but they have WINGS) when I realised that the potential for real intelligence is present in birds, far more than it is in mammals. Think of all the problem solving corvids, the parrots which can dismantle a car in NZ, the newly hatched chicks which a couple of weeks later can FLY for heavens sake (OK that's innate but still - way ahead of humanoids)  Think of the dragons in GoT....oh, aren't they real ?  :'(
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 12:40:59 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2020, 12:47:55 pm »
This completes my trilogy, for now.
What is it with keyboards? The letters on our previous keyboard were fast disappearing after only a year of use, so we bought a new one a month or so ago.  It only cost £7, so a cheapy from China, but already 'o' is indistinguishable from 'i', and 't' looks like a disembodied gibbet  ::)
Given the earth changing technology hidden inside the keyboard, can't they get the letters to stick?
Do I have to chuck out the Rolls because the ashtray is full?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 12:50:15 pm by Fleecewife »

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2020, 01:30:59 pm »
This completes my trilogy, for now.
What is it with keyboards? The letters on our previous keyboard were fast disappearing after only a year of use, so we bought a new one a month or so ago.  It only cost £7, so a cheapy from China, but already 'o' is indistinguishable from 'i', and 't' looks like a disembodied gibbet  ::)
Given the earth changing technology hidden inside the keyboard, can't they get the letters to stick?
Do I have to chuck out the Rolls because the ashtray is full?
Most alien species conveniently speak english or provide thier own subtitles. As for the waste you produced by chucking a functional keyboard.. you could have redone the letters (paint pen) or just asked...I threw a load away myself recently 'cos they'd been sititng in the barn for years, perfectly usable, but came with now obsolete PC's. I did at least take them for recycling (AKA sending to malaysia)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2020, 01:43:40 pm »
Well done pgkevet.  Jolly good show old man!

Just to defend myself, we did recycle the previous keyboard, but it had had its chips in other ways too.  This one will be repaired with Humbrol enamel and maybe we'll varnish the keys.  I'm shocked though at how far our throwaway society has sunk.  Houses built to last 20 years  ???  Computers which have to be ditched because the programmes have changed  ??? , cars which you can't work on because they are so high tech  ???

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2020, 02:43:38 pm »
Silly but true keyboard story.We had a lot of PC's at the clinic. Despite reasonable measures they eventually got clogged with dust, animal hair, glove powder and the like. Back then keyboards weren't as cheap. I took the back off them to discover how cheaply made they were. Essentially apart from the higher tech bits the common ground for all keys was a bit of cardboard covered in foil. Of course the rest was plastic and rustproof- stainless or solder (or fancy ones might have silver or gold plated contacts).With the backs off and cardboard out I chucked them in a sink-scrubbed with soapy water and let them dry and drain...perfect.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2020, 03:37:14 pm »

Talking about that, Fleecewife, at a previous company, somebody switched around a load of the keys on my colleague's keyboard, as a joke. I can touchtype though, so rather than him having the hassle of changing everything back round, I just swapped my keyboard with his.

Of course after that, I always encouraged people to use my computer when I was in meetings etc, just for comic effect  ;D .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2020, 03:46:54 pm »
One of my current pet hates in similar space is "of" for "have" : "I should of known", etc.  But language grows and is shaped by those who speak it, so I expect "of" will be defined as "have" in some later edition of one of the UK dictionaries. 
Beat me to it on that one, SiN  :roflanim: and all the missed punctuation marks!  Drives me batty.

I'm the grammar and punctuation Police you see  :eyelashes:

Oh and by the way pgkevet - it's DOGANJO not DogandJo - first half of Anne and first half of John
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2020, 04:46:03 pm »

Talking about that, Fleecewife, at a previous company, somebody switched around a load of the keys on my colleague's keyboard, as a joke. I can touchtype though, so rather than him having the hassle of changing everything back round, I just swapped my keyboard with his.

Of course after that, I always encouraged people to use my computer when I was in meetings etc, just for comic effect  ;D .

:roflanim: :roflanim:  They loved you didn't they  :innocent:

I still type with two fingers and have to look for the letters, so when 'i' looks the same as 'o' I have a whole load of corrections to make. It's why all my posts are modified.....

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2020, 07:54:14 pm »
On the electronics theme;  why can't manufacturers send an AC/DC power supply unit with the same branding (even just a factory-applied sticker) as the bit of kit it powers.  I know enough now to immediately indelibly mark a power unit to match it with the bit of kit it powers, but it is annoying.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2020, 08:35:46 pm »
Oh and by the way pgkevet - it's DOGANJO not DogandJo - first half of Anne and first half of John
Oops! :-[
..but was it me or was it disHarmony?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2020, 09:54:10 am »
A quick reality check is that there are only you, me and Dan on this forum. I'm really DogandJo, Womble, Fleecewife and Rosemary amongst others. Although I shall log back in soon as those and refute it....

Was this a quote from Eharmony? :innocent: No quote marks  :roflanim: :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2020, 09:57:43 am »
I still type with two fingers and have to look for the letters, so when 'i' looks the same as 'o' I have a whole load of corrections to make. It's why all my posts are modified.....
I often reverse letters - 'teh' instead of 'the' for instance, so I use the preview button and correct my errors before posting,

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2020, 10:09:47 am »
A quick reality check is that there are only you, me and Dan on this forum. I'm really DogandJo, Womble, Fleecewife and Rosemary amongst others. Although I shall log back in soon as those and refute it....

Was this a quote from Eharmony? :innocent: No quote marks  :roflanim: :roflanim:

Nah it wer defo that ther pgkevit guy!  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS