Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pet hates  (Read 15638 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Pet hates
« on: January 19, 2020, 11:41:53 pm »
Somewhere for us to let off steam about things that annoy us.  Smallholding related or not, forum related or not, whatever we want to have a vent about!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
Re: Pet hates
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 11:51:03 pm »
One of mine, forum-related, is when someone comes and offers some advice on a topic as though only they have had this insight or depth of experience, when one of us has already said the very same thing three or four posts back. 

I suspect I am probably super-sensitive on such things, being a woman of a certain age, and having spent a lot of my earlier career having to prove my worthiness to be listened to.  (Think "Life on Mars" and the regular - male - coppers' attitudes to the "plonk" - female copper.  I started work as a software engineer in 1980, and had to correct people's assumptions that I must be my male colleague's secretary for most of that decade, and beyond at times, although things were definitely improving by the late 80s.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 12:05:15 am »
Where do you think this one going to go SiN ?!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:08:33 am by arobwk »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 12:43:34 am »
Where do you think this one going to go SiN ?!

Random!  Whatever has p**d any given member off on any given day! 

If I'd started it a week ago, it would have been stupid trailer connections that don't stay connected to the socket on the car when you go over bumpy ground... :/

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 06:19:04 am »
You really want to get me tub-thumping about take-away coffee being synonymous with the ills of the UK, the greatest examples of profligacy and subconscious manipulation?? I can write reams on that subject...

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 09:40:21 am »
People driving without taking the road conditions into account.  Black ice this morn and nutters overtaking on blind bends as I was too slow for them.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 10:01:46 am »
One of mine, forum-related, is when someone comes and offers some advice on a topic as though only they have had this insight or depth of experience, when one of us has already said the very same thing three or four posts back. 

I suspect I am probably super-sensitive on such things, being a woman of a certain age, and having spent a lot of my earlier career having to prove my worthiness to be listened to.  (Think "Life on Mars" and the regular - male - coppers' attitudes to the "plonk" - female copper.  I started work as a software engineer in 1980, and had to correct people's assumptions that I must be my male colleague's secretary for most of that decade, and beyond at times, although things were definitely improving by the late 80s.)

Surely if the same answer comes up more than once it helps the OP make up their mind about which advice they might take? How do they know who knows best, who doesn't or even thinks they do?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 10:18:56 am »

Surely if the same answer comes up more than once it helps the OP make up their mind about which advice they might take? How do they know who knows best, who doesn't or even thinks they do?
Ah, but for those of us who like a good conspiracy theory there is no evidence that the same wrong answer several times makes it true. Or, indeed, that those same several answers weren't from the same person using multiple pseudonyms.
A quick reality check is that there are only you, me and Dan on this forum. I'm really DogandJo, Womble, Fleecewife and Rosemary amongst others. Although I shall log back in soon as those and refute it.....

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 11:26:22 am »

Ah, but for those of us who like a good conspiracy theory there is no evidence that the same wrong answer several times makes it true. Or, indeed, that those same several answers weren't from the same person using multiple pseudonyms.
A quick reality check is that there are only you, me and Dan on this forum. I'm really DogandJo, Womble, Fleecewife and Rosemary amongst others. Although I shall log back in soon as those and refute it.....

I'm sorry I did believe you until you claimed to be all those other posters and then I knew you were pulling my leg because I'm all those other people!  :roflanim: :roflanim:

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 11:30:50 am »
..and here's the proof... :roflanim: :roflanim:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 08:50:26 pm »
is that why I sometimes have the creepy feeling someone else is putting words in my mouth?

OK, I have one, although it makes me giggle rather than making me mad:  I have just read the phrase 'a fine toothcomb' three times in one book.  Teeth are not usually so furry that they need to be combed, but combs do have teeth which are fine.  Those fine-toothed combs so beloved of school nurses.  Or maybe I'm just nit-picking  :knit:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 09:06:57 pm »

Honestly, it drives me round the bend when that happens  >:( .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 10:03:07 pm »

Honestly, it drives me round the bend when that happens  >:( .
Hmmm...thought you'ld fixed the toilet....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 01:05:18 am »
You really want to get me tub-thumping about take-away coffee being synonymous with the ills of the UK, the greatest examples of profligacy and subconscious manipulation?? I can write reams on that subject...

Go for it! I am all ears  :D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 01:09:12 am »

Yes, and I've no issue with the same input appearing more than once, but wish that folks would (a) show previous posters the respect to acknowledge "as others have already said" or some such, and (b) not simply repeat the same input / advice; if a poster isn't going to add anything, they can indicate their concurrence with the views already expressd by "Liking" that post.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS