Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 17679 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
what did you do today?
« on: October 16, 2010, 12:35:43 pm »
I loved this thread, so how about starting it off again?

So far I have

fed the birds, dug a bit in the polytunnel, removed old tomato plants from the greenhouse, started a fire in the drum (frustrating), weeded a bit, clipped the old broad beans and made a box of kindling from last years hedge cut, a bit here and there, really....I can't decide which job to finish  ::):&>

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 12:44:38 pm »
today is a rest day in my world, so far i have made a shelter for the outside of my chicken run to keep there food dryer (overlooked in origianal build)

i have cleaned out the coop, have checked all the chooks for any injuries etc and let them out for a days garden trashing!!!

i still have to pooperscoop the lawn from the dog and put away the kids play equipment for the winter!!!

so much for my rest day!!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 01:08:19 pm »
Great minds think alike! I was thinking just this morning about re-starting or finding the old thread for this.

So far, I have done 2 washings, hung them out, ordered AI straws for my goat, painted the garage roof with roof sealant, finished tidying up inside the garage, moved the new chest freezer (bought off ebay for putting the pork in) into situ in the garage, unloaded the feeding, given the pigs fresh straw, and stuffed straw leafs down the gap between the wall and the hurdle's in their shed.

Obviously before all that there was milking and feeding, but that's everyday so I don't mention it! Just in case everyone thinks I never feed the animals!

Beth

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 01:28:54 pm »
So far today i have...

Cleaned out both coops, washed out & treated with mite spray.
Anyone used those "mite bombs" that are advertised on ebay?
Sound similar to the ones you use in greenhouses, only more expensive.

Dusted layers & growers with red mite powder.

Cleaned up hens legs & smeared lightly with vaseline.

Disinfected all feeders & drinkers.

Moved coops & runs onto slabs for the winter, put layer of shavings down to cover slabs.

Came in for a heat .... it's damn cold here today

Still to replace bedding etc & the car needs a t cut & polish, but that might happen tomorrow if it stays fair

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 05:01:58 pm »
Dan and I have spent the day in Sheepfold, our two acre field, repairing the fence. We also cleared out the byre ready for tomorrow when we start the final preparations for the calves coming.

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 06:37:23 pm »
I have planted lots of different spring bulbs, let our 10 day old ducklings swim in the bath, made up bee food and added thymol crtstals so now the whole house stinks. Put feed in the hives and got stung on finger  as thanks. now sitting with a large glass of red wine.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 06:51:55 pm »
I have done the usual goat/rabbit/chicken jobs but also squeezed in an Autumn fair - not buying, selling! my goat milk soap and bath bombs. Dragged number 1 daughter along (the 8 year old who's maths is better than mine) and we sold loads, fabby day!  ;D

have just persuaded the new chickens not to roost in the willow tree but instead to learn how to use an indoor perch and now settled with plum wine and about to indulge in a bath with a handmade bath cupcake
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 06:56:40 pm »
Just made my second batch of quince jelly, picked 10lb of sloes and 10lb of crab apples for next ones, tomorrow is going to be 10lb of rosehip!!

The jam making empire is underway  :wave:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 07:26:03 pm »
made pancakes for the kids breakfast
moved loads of plants from one place to another
tried to round up ewes to move to a new field (they were having none of it!) - will try again tomorrow
started a few soft fruit border & planted 2 tayberries and 3 gooseberry bushes and some strawberries
moved the pig house from one field to another for the new piggies coming in a couple of weeks
waited 3 hours for someone to phone that i was supposed to be meeting - only to find out that we'd be re-scheduled!
ate a ginormous tea that my lovely sister made

and now sitting eating ice cream, have cup of tea in my hand and just about to watch the x-factor..

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 07:56:15 pm »
Walked the dogs - 4 miles.
Checked the greenhouse and seedlings and moved some plants in. Fed and watered chooks.
Took my weather readings (I know  ::):)
Took my good lady a cup of tea in bed and got ready for work.
Went to shop at 9.15am and left at 5.45pm (quiet morning, manic afternoon, good day overall)
Did some deliveries and got home about 6.25pm.
Got changed, fed the chooks a handful of corn and checked them over.
Checked the greenhouse and took weather readings.
Washed down the outside of the greenhouse ready for winter (inside tomorrow). We have a large light shining on the back of our house from a club.
Rolled up the hose pipe that has been out since spring then came in.
Just about to go over to the chippie for chicken/fish/kebab and chip meal. Not all three you understand but I'm not sure which one yet.
Intend to partake of some Old Peculiar a little later.

Ian
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 08:38:29 pm by knightquest »
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 08:03:33 pm »
had a lie-in! (needed it)
then... fed & watered everything, walked to town, bought hat, thick socks & warm gloves in the charity shop, walked back. checked all the animals & watched the piglets for abit.
mucked out the goat shed & pen, in the drizzle (but at least it kept the goats out the way!)
cleared some weeds to supplement the chickens/ducks and checked the quail for dirty feet.  oh, and fed the baby quail throughout the day too - they are just off heat & still in the house.
hoovered & tidied here and there, refilled the dishwasher, walked the dog, fed the animals & watched the piglets!
put some washing on
 had tea whilst watching Harry Hill (Sheba loves his voice!) just put the kittens to bed, quick fix of TAS before going to milk the goat...
Little Blue

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 08:04:24 pm »
Done the normal taxiing involved with being a Mum (youngest is having golf lessons atm ::))
we have just finished bailing and wrapping 66 bales from 2 acres of haylage to see the ponies through the winter also got a bonus hay bale out of the baler, we just beat the dark drawing in only needed the car head lights to close the gates.....So all in all a good day.

Hubby has just gone to pick up the Chinese for tea.

Sandy

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 08:26:23 pm »
So may good deals, a fre Belfast sink. 10p veg and salad stuff from the co op and  good as new bed and matress for £120.00 good deal good day!!!!!!!!!!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 09:57:35 pm »

The usual feeding and watering before heading off to work at Kelso races, busy day so absolutely knackered now. Just sat down with a cup of tea and a catch up here and on facebook.
Anne

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 10:28:55 pm »
Busy busy busy - stained my garden bench, hoovered the whole house, made some apple juice and drank it all, luvly jubbly, made a loaf of bread for Donald coming tomorrow, took all five dogs for an hour and a half run in the woods in two lots, so 3 hours in total, plus 40 minutes traveling, came home and put up green protective screening on new fence, cleaned out duck shed while all the birds went out to play, shut them in at teatime then rescued the two new white youngsters from the jaws of death i.e. Hester.  Off fro a nice cup of tea and a quick trip outside for Hester, then off to bed.  Thought about going to Alva to watch a bit of the Labrador Club of Scotand Show but to be honest 3 hours with my Brittanys is a lot more fun. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS