Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hugelkultur anyone??  (Read 31570 times)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: hugelkultur anyone??
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2012, 09:54:08 pm »
The cardboard is no longer there  ;D

Mainly twiggy, brashy, shrub clippings. Stuff that was too big to try to compost, so it got piled up.... Small twisted willow branches, ornamental quince, rose...Then the muck heap you can sort of see on the right was added (waste dung/straw from cattle trailer). That lot got covered in topsoil, which then washed off, so it now has a pile of grass clippings on top...

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2012, 10:00:56 pm »
beech leave is what i used and 2 bails of straw then about a tonne of grass clipping from a mate who cuts lawns. rain has been heavy this way last couple of days and all still there. i'm new to all this myself!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2012, 04:05:50 pm »
just planted the nitrogen fixers. loads of painted lady broad beans and peas of various types. good weather for planting peas and beans......oh and ducks! :thumbsup:
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2012, 04:13:53 pm »
remember that the nitrogen isnt fixed until the dead plants roots rot down ;) they may need some food to crop.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2012, 04:47:04 pm »
remember that the nitrogen isnt fixed until the dead plants roots rot down ;) they may need some food to crop.

going to keep planting the beds all summer with loads of different beans and peas!

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2012, 02:50:12 pm »
went and had a look today and some little rodent has dug up and eaten all my painted lady broad beans that i planted wednesday! so will need to keep the planting up to get anything to take  ???

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2012, 07:45:14 pm »

You can encourage this by cutting the top growth - that's what Fukoka does with the clover.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Mel

« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2012, 05:30:10 pm »
I still have not manage to get mine going as have been unable to cut any grass :( :-\

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2012, 05:45:06 pm »

You can encourage this by cutting the top growth - that's what Fukoka does with the clover.

need to put some seeds in the green house so they start, the mice have dug up most of what i have planted as seed!
 ::)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2012, 10:26:03 pm »
had so many  thefts from the hugel i thought i would set a trap. in the morning i had cat prints in the soil and the trap had gone. found it later on in the grass with some flesh left under the trap part but everything else had been eaten. since then the seed theft has stopped!

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2012, 06:15:22 pm »
got my first peas coming up and found one broad bean ready to sprout as i planted more peas. think it is going to spring into life at any moment! timing was good with all this rain.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2012, 09:52:59 am »
got peas and broad beans coming up all over the place. it would seem the moles have moved in underneath the mounds. is this a problem? bet it is nice and warm in there!

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2012, 03:20:29 pm »
had broad beans and peas coming up now they are up! up with the roots too! something has pulled about 200 peas right out of the ground and half eaten the pea bit and all the beans have been snapped at the base of the stem! very, very disappointing! seems so pointless!  >:(

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2012, 09:29:31 pm »
got loads of peas and beans coming up now. the top soil is cracking all over at the moment and the whole thing has shrunk by about a third.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2012, 09:59:55 pm »
all is going well!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS