Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hugelkultur anyone??  (Read 31492 times)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
Re: hugelkultur anyone??
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2012, 05:46:38 pm »
thanx mate, been alot of work TBH thought it was going to be a little easier but that's life innit!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2012, 06:58:56 pm »
im highly jealous of your artichokes!!! mine always seem to get demolished by black fly and other bugs. yours look in fine fettle, should be a good crop this year, as theyre up so early and strong. did you cover them over the winter?

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2012, 08:24:50 pm »
im highly jealous of your artichokes!!! mine always seem to get demolished by black fly and other bugs. yours look in fine fettle, should be a good crop this year, as theyre up so early and strong. did you cover them over the winter?

never cover them, they get a little burnt by bad frost but seem to come back ok. they are in a bed which had 4 tonne of horse poo dug in by excavator 3 years ago so very good conditions for them and very well drained which in the winter is a must for arties! just potted up 10 green and 8 purple for this years row. i put a row in every year what you can see there is last years survivors. 
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2012, 08:53:40 pm »
i think thats may be why mine never amount to much, im on heavy clay and the drainage isnt the best, i think ill devote one of my raised beds to them this year cos i do love artichokes and so does my daughter, steamed and dipped in oliveoil and soem good balsamic has to be a highlight of summer. ill dig loads of manure and compost in and try again!

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2012, 09:00:46 pm »
dig a trench about 2 feet deep and then pick axe the bottom and add as much poo as you have. pick axe again and then replace soil and leave over winter and plant in april. i start the seeds in august and winter the plants in the green house. if you have clay like me try a hugel bed, it will transform your soil over 3-4 years.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2012, 09:10:29 pm »
it would be impossible to dig a trench 2 foot deep, i wish! the clay starts about 6inches down and is mixed with shale in layers, all my crops are grown in raised beds that are made with 18inch cedar boards, and i have them filled with compost, manure and leafmould taken from the beech and oak woods near my place, i top them up regularly with more compost, its the only way. i think i will dedicate a permanent bed to artichokes tho, and do as you say, cheers or the advice.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2012, 09:23:33 pm »
it would be impossible to dig a trench 2 foot deep, i wish! the clay starts about 6inches down and is mixed with shale in layers, all my crops are grown in raised beds that are made with 18inch cedar boards, and i have them filled with compost, manure and leafmould taken from the beech and oak woods near my place, i top them up regularly with more compost, its the only way. i think i will dedicate a permanent bed to artichokes tho, and do as you say, cheers or the advice.

i have about 6 feet of clay then onto gravel and chalk. the problem you will have with artichokes is the long taproot. that is how they stay alive in winter, deep deep roots.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2012, 10:40:10 pm »
right, in that case, i shall have to dig out the kango, i ve used it before to get a fence post in. that should break it up enough to let me dig it out. it would be worth doing on a few of my beds tbh, i just havent thought about doing it like that before! ::)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2012, 11:05:47 pm »

Mel

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2012, 09:05:39 am »
I have never seen artichokes growing before they look identical to the Cardoon which is part of the same family,I have not used them as of yet,they have come up this year and have an amazing thistle head.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2012, 02:18:15 pm »
I have never seen artichokes growing before they look identical to the Cardoon which is part of the same family,I have not used them as of yet,they have come up this year and have an amazing thistle head.

got about 12 cardoons to put in. next week i think. they are a great veg bit like celery.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2012, 02:55:38 pm »
So I'm noticing that you all have very flat beds, whereas my "hugel-style" attempt is more a heap in the corner  ;D

The topsoil washed off, but I have had grass clippings to add. I'll rebury once it stops raining long enough!

Should I be reshaping it??

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2012, 09:12:05 pm »
So I'm noticing that you all have very flat beds, whereas my "hugel-style" attempt is more a heap in the corner  ;D

The topsoil washed off, but I have had grass clippings to add. I'll rebury once it stops raining long enough!

Should I be reshaping it??

got any pics?

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2012, 09:35:44 pm »
Only this, the heap in the left hand corner (this was taken pre-burying/washing off/re-burying!)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2012, 09:41:44 pm »
what is that made of?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS