Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hugelkultur anyone??  (Read 31416 times)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
hugelkultur anyone??
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:13:40 am »
i am just about to build an extensive set of these beds and wondered if anyone else has had a go with it?

http://permaculture.org.au/2012/01/04/hugelkultur-composting-whole-trees-with-ease/

and this is the start of mine;

1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
Re: hugelkultur anyone??
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:43:13 pm »
I have a load of branch cuttings left over from the winter logging - so I will give this a go - always looking for ways to d things with out to much work --- will let you know how it progress.
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 04:38:27 pm »
I have a load of branch cuttings left over from the winter logging - so I will give this a go - always looking for ways to d things with out to much work --- will let you know how it progress.

good work, says that fresh wood takes a little longer to break down so add some good rotten willow to it to get the right creatures and fungus in the kultur!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 05:13:18 pm »
good info ta :thumbsup:

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 09:30:11 am »
we are going to do loads of work on the beds today so i will take some pics as it unfolds. should be a good day.  :hshoe:

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 06:11:35 pm »
we have done so much to them. got loads of pics but going to have a cider and a bite of curry first! what a fine day it was.  :thumbsup:

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 08:46:01 pm »
so here are some pics of the days work,

the raw materials

there are others of it later in the day on another phone because mine ran out of battery!  ::)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 10:24:07 pm »
here is where we are now, getting a tonne of top soil next week and finish the job at the weekend.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 10:29:20 pm »
I shall be following this whole experiment with great interest  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 11:05:15 pm »
I shall be following this whole experiment with great interest  :thumbsup:

me too!  :D

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 09:13:44 pm »
Really interested in this.
I've just got a load of guinea pig poo mixed with straw..............Could this be used to cover the logs? Sorry to ask this question without doing proper research but I'm too eager to ask and not read  ;D ;D

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 09:28:51 pm »
Really interested in this.
I've just got a load of guinea pig poo mixed with straw..............Could this be used to cover the logs? Sorry to ask this question without doing proper research but I'm too eager to ask and not read  ;D ;D

Ian

yeah poo is good as it has loads of nitrogen in it. and straw is very good for the kultur.  :thumbsup:

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 10:59:41 pm »
Thanks Chairman  :thumbsup:

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 11:04:11 pm »

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 11:09:54 pm »
Very interesting -  Thanks  :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS