Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hugelkultur anyone??  (Read 31486 times)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: hugelkultur anyone??
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2012, 08:46:41 pm »
Looking good!

I've got squash plants on my little heap, they seem very happy, have "mulched" with some sheep fleece to deter slugs and this also seems to be keeping the pile hot. How hot is too hot for a squash I wonder?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2012, 10:40:07 pm »
thats really interesting, could you put a thermometer in and take a reading?  ive assumed that the carbon-nitrogen ratio would be too low with hugelkultur to generate much heat.
i would think that unless you are getting 150degf plus, your  squash will be fine.
160-180deg f is enough to sterilise a good compost heap.my last proper, quick heap hit 160 just for a few hours, that was watered with sheep dag stew!
it would be interesting to see the progress of the rot into the wood at its core.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2012, 07:00:57 am »
"mulched" with some sheep fleece to deter slugs

How are you doing that Yorkshire Lass? Do you just lay some fleece around the base of the plant?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2012, 08:32:42 am »
"mulched" with some sheep fleece to deter slugs

How are you doing that Yorkshire Lass? Do you just lay some fleece around the base of the plant?

you can do the same thing with wood chips. i use lime chips as that is what i have but anything is good except conifer. conifer has tannins in it!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2012, 08:34:48 am »
Looking good!

I've got squash plants on my little heap, they seem very happy, have "mulched" with some sheep fleece to deter slugs and this also seems to be keeping the pile hot. How hot is too hot for a squash I wonder?
i always grow queensland blue pumpkins. they are from OZ as is my lady. they handle heat very well and they can go without water even better. tough as they are!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Mel

« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2012, 06:22:16 am »
I have strawberries,carrots,beetroot,spinach and coriander growing well in the Hugel,at the front i decided to put some herbs in too,it is all growing very nicely except,we need more sun for those strawbs to ripen off :-\

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2012, 08:41:35 am »
I have strawberries,carrots,beetroot,spinach and coriander growing well in the Hugel,at the front i decided to put some herbs in too,it is all growing very nicely except,we need more sun for those strawbs to ripen off :-\

i have lots of moles in mine! they seem to love it. but apart from that it is doing very well this end too. i think the wet must be helping. mine have shrunk to about half the size they were when finished!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2012, 08:49:01 am »
Only just cought this thread - Interesting thanks (although I must admit to feeling slightly upset at the picture with about 2 months of beautiful woodfuel being buried!!! It looked to be quite a few  £££ worth of good timber!).

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2012, 10:02:10 am »
Only just cought this thread - Interesting thanks (although I must admit to feeling slightly upset at the picture with about 2 months of beautiful woodfuel being buried!!! It looked to be quite a few  £££ worth of good timber!).

hahahah, there is old apple wood in there too! i have cut down 60 trees there in the last 4 years and had about 10 tonne out on the back field and the farmer wanted it to start moving so came up with this. still got about another 20 tonne to burn and have burnt even more! if you need some come and get it! Bob the farmer will be well chuffed and i can get more manure on the site!  :thumbsup:

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2012, 09:39:56 pm »

I use wet rotting stuff in my hugel beds - the stuff that would be rubbish for burning.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2012, 05:25:47 pm »
Wool is straight off the sheep (hebridean). Stretched out a bit but mainly unrolled around stems.
I'll see if I've got a thermometer kicking around!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS