Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: minimum area for 2pet sheep  (Read 8159 times)

charlie-ia

• Joined Aug 2018
  • Ireland
Re: minimum area for 2pet sheep
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 02:56:15 pm »
I would have to build a shelter anyway. Winter housing could be taken into account. I could probably squeeze another 500m by removing some flowerbeds too,
So maybe end up with 1500m approx

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 03:59:59 pm »
It’s all well and good housing in winter- but have you the equipment to muck out the house, space for a muck heap. Storage for bedding and fodder. If you’re scraping a few hundred metres here and there it sounds like you don’t have enough land. Don’t forget you’ll need the sheep shearing every year and finding a shearer for 2 pet sheep is harder than finding one for a flock of 200. Personally I’d just buy a new lawnmower :-/

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2018, 04:42:35 pm »
What about buying 2 pet lambs in spring and sending them to freezer in late autumn?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

charlie-ia

• Joined Aug 2018
  • Ireland
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2018, 05:10:59 pm »
We have an acre in total, but its a funny shape, has a stream running through it, and a back road cutting through. Two rows of huge sycamores with no grass below. So its impossible to put a single large area in one place.
 We have 3stone barns, and a large cobbled area so muckheap and tool store is no problem. Could even shear/wash fleece indoors. There is even a large concrete cattle pen that I could build a winter house in, if the sheep would like hardstanding for winter?

I was under the impression that I could Roo Ouessants? Or learn to shear?

I'm not sure I'd want to send lambs to slaughter. Pets would be nice.

Thankyou everyone

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 08:25:27 am »
I think you sound quite organised and have some good facilities, therefore I think you should give it a try and be prepared to sell the sheep if it doesn't work out.  Many of us can relate to the overwhelming desire to keep livestock, and if you don't try you won't know.  You have been given lots of good advice so are aware of some of the pitfalls.  The only other thing is that you should consider having 3 sheep rather than 2 in case one dies and you are left with one lonely sheep.  :thumbsup: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :thumbsup:

charlie-ia

• Joined Aug 2018
  • Ireland
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 08:39:59 am »
Thanks everyone for your replies.
One more question, Twizzel what equipment do you need to muck out sheep? Is there more to it than a brush, shovel and a bucket of disinfectant?

I've never kept sheep and I'm quite prepared to find out things might not be simple...

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 08:57:26 am »
A fork would be useful  :farmer:  also I agree you should be able to shear them yourself after a bit of practice, especially if you are not too worried about how the fleece comes off.  The main reason is for the welfare of the sheep.  :thumbsup:

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 10:33:43 am »
Nothing major if you keep it mucked out regularly... it gets more difficult to muck out with a fork if you deep litter and let the muck build up.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2018, 07:34:02 pm »
Is there any reason why 2 sheep cannot live by and large in a stable and come out to graze as and when?They can eat ad-lib hay and a hand-full of nuts and be bedded on straw.  They might get mucky tails when first turned out on fresh grass but this can be cleaned up.  Tame sheep will be easy enough to move from here to there on a halter.  Mucking out a sheep house is exactly the same as mucking out a stable - fork and wheelbarrow (or gloves and a bucket). They would need sheering but no special equipment is needed for 2 pets - my best sheering has been with the kitchen scissors :innocent:
Never ever give up.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2018, 03:43:22 pm »
For that size of area I would suggest pigs.  Start with a couple of weaners and see how you get on.

So much more fun than sheep! :)

Don't get me wrong, I *love* my sheep, but you could just be trying to shoe-horn something into a small space and it not work very well.  Pigs on the other hand need much less space, and you will interact with them much more (as you will have to feed them daily), and they can be right characters.  It might be the best way to fulfil your desire for keeping livestock.  And there is of course the meat as the end result (assuming you so wish).  Hmmm...sausages.... :pig: :pig: :pig:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 03:47:00 pm by Foobar »

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2018, 04:29:52 pm »
What about fencing requirements for pigs? Sorry if this is off topic
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2018, 04:33:28 pm »
What about fencing requirements for pigs? Sorry if this is off topic
Two strands of electric tape is what I use (i.e. very moveable).  And my whole property boundary would be stock fenced as a back up safety net.

charlie-ia

• Joined Aug 2018
  • Ireland
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2018, 06:52:10 pm »
Its the grass cutting ability that was drawing me to sheep really. Thanks for the suggestion though. Do turkeys cut grass like geese do? (Sorry, I know this is the sheep dept!)

I may be able to get some extra grazing from a friend with a holiday cottage nearby. I'd like to see Dartmoor Liz's stabling idea debated...

Thanks everyone for replies so far, and not making me feel silly.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2018, 07:10:05 pm »
I wouldn’t feel comfortable buying pets knowing that for the majority of the time they would be housed inside, sheep are grazing animals and much prefer to be outside. My sheep are housed at certain times of the year for lambing and the odd night in before shearing or vaccinating, and whilst they are mostly contented inside they don’t thrive like they do outside.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2018, 11:13:39 pm »
Do turkeys cut grass like geese do?
They'll eat it a bit, but they're not habitual grazers like geese are.

I can't help thinking that any animal kept purely as a lawnmower is going to end up being a lot more hassle than er, a lawnmower!

Have you thought of buying a breeding pair of rabbits?  After a couple of years you should have more than enough to keep your grass in check!!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS