Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding question.  (Read 1205 times)

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
Breeding question.
« on: December 23, 2018, 03:49:52 pm »
I have two Balwin ewe's and a ram lamb they were gifted to me after allowing my land to be grazed. The ram & ewe's are all from the same tup. Clearly the ram lam is going to try and mate with the ewe's. Its my understanding that one generation interbreeding is not an issue if the ewe's lamb then clearly I would need the services of a fresh tup.
Can half brother and sister ewes and lambs mate ?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Breeding question.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 04:35:18 pm »
They can, but I would not use the offspring for breeding stock. Any chance you can swap the male, or has he already got to the girls?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Breeding question.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 06:09:39 pm »
I often have a little bit of inbreeding in one or other of my matings; with a small flock it’s hard to avoid completely without going to extreme lengths. 

My rules are, all about-to-be parents must be excellent specimens.  If the tup or his dad has any undesirable features, then I’d try to avoid any inbreeding but at the least, would not use a ewe which had the same undesirable trait.

In general, one would not expect to keep the offspring of such a union for breeding, but on the rare occasion that all the positives line up and non of the negatives, one can get an excellent specimen.  If truly exceptional I might keep such, but would be certain to not inbreed it again.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS