Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can I Site A Static On My Land If Im Not Living In It...?  (Read 9081 times)

craiglang

• Joined Jul 2018
Can I Site A Static On My Land If Im Not Living In It...?
« on: July 21, 2018, 05:43:24 pm »
Hello

So I have owned this piece of land now for 5 years or so and have got planning for 5 stables and tack room and change of use. There has been a static on there all the time we had the place and it was falling apart, so I placed wanted add and to my surprise this lovely couple actually gave, yes gave us a mint condition caravan, and all we had to pay was to move it 400 sovs.

So I destroyed the old one and got the newer one delivered and placed in the same place as the older one and thats that, no body lives in it, we use it for a cuppa and the kids and to get out the rain. Now the powers that be have sent me email saying that they have been told that a static has been placed on the land...? If you go on google earth you can see it Mr Counciler, Its not hidden thats how long its been there and owe by the way, when the nice lady from the council who deals with all the planning applications, came up to have a look at the land next door and their application, where he wanted to put his stables. She spoke to me and seen the caravan and the large wooden shed I built and even talked about them, the shed i use to hold my tools which is not on any sort of concrete foundations, just wood. Will I need planning for that aswell...? or is that just temp...?.

The only thing that has concrete foundations is the stable block and that got planning passed Know problem. But now it seems I have problem.

Now we purchased the land at 6 acres and was just to much so split it down middle and sold half to very nice fellow and his family, who take great care of their land also and we have planted trees, built stunning cross stock fencing and it is our place of zen lets say. To be truthful not puts every body else paddocks to shame :thumbsup:

My question is can I site my static on my own land if i do not live in it or am I only aloud to own land that is only aloud to store grass that grows on it, on it....? without planning.

Oh and they are building 350 houses less than 200 meters from my land, straight across the road from a travelers home. This must be really easy to do maybe I should put in planning application for a load of houses....? mmmm

There is also the point that we cannot have access to the a road even though there is 6 entrances around our area, the entrance that was created by the person who sold me the land, but he did it without permission, but it is still there even though we don't use it.

The kicker there is the person who sold him the land created their own entrance to a mansion so they could sell it back in 1995 and never got permission to create their new entrance to the mansion, so one of their children could live in the gate house to the mansion.

Now we asked for an entrance to our land from across the road from that entrance, that was created illegally by the person who sold the land to the person who sold the land to me, I know hard to follow, soon as the application went in, every single person in that family who created their entrance illegally objected and where totally mortified that there is going to be or could be another access point to be created onto the road.

By the way I used that access point many a time and you can even see that on satellite images and there is no problem what so ever with any danger, the problem is total and utter NIMBYISM thats all it is

Thats my dilemma I know, but do I or don't I need planning to store my static on the land I own....?

Any pointers to articles you can send me to of this nature much appreciated

Kind Regards
Craig

Big Thanks
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 05:47:47 pm by craiglang »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Can I Site A Static On My Land If Im Not Living In It...?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 10:18:41 pm »
Hi craigland - just read your post.  That's a lot to take in so I'm going to hold fire on offering any thoughts off the cuff.  Perhaps someone with better grasp of the issues will come along very shortly and be able to, hopefully, offer immediate comment/help. 

But one question comes to mind:  did you mention the existence of the old static caravan at all when you made the planning application for the stables?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 10:24:09 pm by arobwk »

craiglang

• Joined Jul 2018
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 10:41:35 pm »
Hi I didn't mention it but I took photos of caravan and even when the planning officer came to view next doors application, she seen the caravan and never mentioned it shouldn't be there..?

craiglang

• Joined Jul 2018
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 10:44:42 pm »
So I do have photos timed and dated from way back when I put planning in for the stables of the caravan in position and the new one is in the same place more or less and thanks for reply. Ive heard you can have static on for health and safety and its not plumbed up or anything, but I think they will tell me to move it. Which I will fight to keep it there as I have a home address so they know im not living there. Thanks again for reply

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 11:17:59 pm »
craigland - a couple more questions:
How much acreage do you have? and ...
was the static caravan on the land when you bought the land and, if so, can you get/provide any sort of evidence (even just statements from previous owner/neighbours - that would be friendly neighbours!) to confirm that?
If you placed the caravan there yourself, 5 yrs is not long enough for it to fall outside of planning consideration (I think the time period is now 12 years before you can tell planning officers to go weep.)

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 06:17:23 am »
I don't know about the other issues you have, but to acquire a right of access you have to be able to prove you've used it without problem or permission for 20+ years. Didn't your or the buyer's lawyers raise the access matter when you sold off a parcel of your land?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 09:28:09 am »
If you only need it as somewhere to make a brew and sit out of the rain could you not just use your tack room or have applied for a sixth stable? Would a small tourer not have done the job? Would have been a lot less hassle.

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 10:49:29 am »
Try asking your question on www.gardenlaw.co.uk

it might help too if you say what part of the uk

good luck

craiglang

• Joined Jul 2018
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 08:28:54 am »
Hello Harmony

I got the static for nothing and there is nothing in English law thats say there is a difference between static and tourer. The only difference is one can be towed, so what would stop them from reporting that caravan. And why should we all have to be colluded up like, we need our body warm for heat. I forgot you can get 26ft caravan that I cannot afford...? I got it for free so that s way im use it, if I had choice of nice big Hobby I probably would of went down that route, but I don't   

craiglang

• Joined Jul 2018
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 08:36:51 am »
Oh and Harmony a sixth stable or tack room I have but, its not built yet and all the tack, feed and every thing else off 5 horses would give a large family standing room like carrots in a tin, I understand you don't like static and Im not living in it I have my own address and its been there for so long without complain, anyway Its not getting moved so thats, that.

Ive heard all of the health and safety routes and many more ways to keep it on my land but the right person hasn't came along yet. They cannot make you move it if its not slept in or prime residence. But I should settle for a tourer and pay for one, but not all us people who have a bit of land have money pay for tourer unless its a piece of well you know....

craiglang

• Joined Jul 2018
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 08:46:18 am »
Hello Peris

We have access from the other end of the field, its the fact that the better access would be where there is already 6 access points and the person who owned the land and sold it off made their own access without planning, the new access to the mansion they where selling no problem , so that their daughter could have the gatehouse for her home and all done without planning. But mortified the whole family when we thought I wonder if we could get access from there.

Oh and they are making a new access about another 100 years past our point of access we want to get wagons in for gas powers station not needed, started off as battery storage, got planning and now gas power station...? go figure got money get what you want.

But we have access to the land legal, it would of just been easy to have it there than do the 5 mile round trip and the planning officer told me if they pull there fence back the neighbours, that it wouldn't be needed as it would be a access widening and wouldn't need planning to widen and put road into your land.

craiglang

• Joined Jul 2018
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 08:53:35 am »
Hello Arobwk

I couldn't because im the first there except the farmer who is still lord of all they survey, so I cannot get any statements or anything.

I think Im going to change of use back to agricultural and go down that route, field more horse else where and If you seen what this traveler which is nothing thats his culture did to stable block on stunning part of our town.

Sign bright pink looks like should be in Las Vegas stab lock built not one horse ever went in it and straight into dog grooming and over night kennels, stain on and passed for 5 years to live in right on the edge of village. Don't get me wrong looks nice, but was never used as intended and he got everything straight away, well after because it was retrospective. Owe and he lives in a massive static not little tourer where he could get his head down and make a cuppa like I should and what hassle has he had not a bit.

Thanks for your reply

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 10:47:09 am »
Craig there's all sorts of ways of getting round caravan and access problems. I personally have twice made accesses into fields without applying for planning. It's such a minor thing that unless you have upset someone who then has a personal grudge and complains, the planners will never know. In little more than a year it looks like its been there for ever.

As far as your caravan was concerned, if the old one had been there for more than 10 years  then you could have applied for lawful development under the 10 year rule. That probably still applies as the lawful development is actually to do with the change of use of land to site a caravan (any caravan) as apposed to a specific caravan (now removed) 

However it is worth doing proper research on the internet; and by that I mean read what planning professionals say. Don't just take as gospel the opinions of people on a forum. Someone's opinion, however well meant carries no weight in law.
The gardenlaw website, mentioned by scotsdumpy is a useful source of information, as is Martin Goodall's planning blog. Find out as much as you can (knowledge is power!), then talk to a proper planning professional. They don't have to cost an arm and a leg. Mine charges £65/hour and can give you relevant advice and put in a proper planning application in 2 hours.

Oh, and the traveller with his flashy pink stable block/dog grooming parlour will have got his planning permission through easily because he chose the right person to do it for him who knew all the ropes. So if you can't beat them - join them. I would be looking on the planning portal to see who this person was, and getting him to sort mine.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:00:38 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

craiglang

• Joined Jul 2018
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 07:07:56 pm »
Hello LandroverRoy

Love the name  :thumbsup: the traveler did it all him self he had to go to comitiee meeting as there was so many objections about the application. He had his caravan on there hooked up, septic tank in and stable block even aloud to make stable block bigger  because it was not suppose to have over hang. So they aloud him to block it and give him extra meter of space the whole length of the block....?

Also my stable block has to be made out of timer and thats that I can have Blockwork inside but not outside the outside has to be timber. The dog groomers has all rendered block work, open to one of the most expensive roads in the town and in full view of all passing traffic and my the neighbour, who I know told on me about the caravan, also used to own that land and tried to get a pub planning app on that spot and got a knock back....?

I know he had support for doggy parlour, how I don't know as it wasn't open if you seen it you would be amazed. Don't get me wrong it looks nice and clean, but so does mine and my place is totally out of sight from roads and road view.

I have had bad past which is nothing to do with it and this is all I have that keeps me busy and on the straight and narrow, so to speak Ive spent thousands on trees, fencing, ponds, the crass is in tip top condition, all time and you don't here a peep from me.

If I can help a neibour I will gladly help. I even raked a full acre field and got rid of the hay hand balling it, so that they could have a lawn. I know I shouldn't get know special treatment, but if you new my story, well I think people would feel different.

I wouldn't care the chairman of the planning committee who got me my home I live in now, was telling me to just claim land by adverse position, but sadly he has left the council or maybe I would not have these problems. He was best councillor I have ever heard off or known he lived on council estate invited you in for supper and did every thing to help, like I say he got me my home. The others in the council said when he says jump, we say how high..?

This is neither here or there but I will take your advice and keep looking for the right information. I want to turn it back into agriculture and its only 3 acres but Ive read stories of small farming that turn over £100,000 per year growing the right crops. So I am going down that route. I don't know if they will enforce anything but I have no doubt they will, but I will fight them as much as I can or Im afraid it might be back to my old life for me.

13 years of being alone and all I want is to be left alone and if you got money you can have that, if you don't you cant...? I don't understand I just understand that people pick up phones and tell on people for what....? what do they get out of it...? is there money given for informing on people and I understand if I was being a nuisance and disrupting the place, being loud or living on there but Im not. I have small struggling business that struggles to pay the council tax and rent for house Im in now. The busy bodies even have the cheek to wave at me.

Its just sole destroying really it is...!

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 08:29:28 pm »
Heh craiglang,  don't get too down-beat!(Was trying to add some other thoughts, but formatting of replies seems to be playing up on the forum making everything hard to read/follow so I've deleted those thoughts and have inserted this message instead.  I shall have to send message to forum administrator to see how to fix the problem)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 05:37:31 pm by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS