Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A sudden change to a chirpy hen  (Read 1918 times)

jt5824

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Leeds
A sudden change to a chirpy hen
« on: August 26, 2010, 06:26:27 pm »
Hello,

I have two bantum leghorns, one of which was suddenly a different hen this morning when we let her out.

She is barely moving and has been sleeping on the spot, when she does move it is slow and deliberate, she has a purple tinge to her coombe which is also floppy, her ears (?) which are usualy white are alluminous yellow and her legs look cracked (I see them every day and have not noticed this before), her head is not standing perkily and tail feathers/ ploom are not poitning upwards.

I change their bedding everyother day, they are given grit, vitamin powder (spice ?) and apple cider and I pick their poo up everyday or so.

I hate seeing her like this and would really appreciate any advice.

Jusitna

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: A sudden change to a chirpy hen
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 06:35:13 pm »
Have you checked if she has mites or lice?  If she is get some spray on her as soon as possible.  Is she eating/drinking?  You probably should be prepared that you might lose her.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 08:08:51 pm »
her legs look cracked (I see them every day and have not noticed this before)

Are the scales pushed upwards?
could be scaley leg mite... google it and chose the most appealing treatment!
Little Blue

jt5824

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Leeds
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 08:26:34 pm »
Hello,

The scales look as if they've come away and rubbed up in places, I will google Scaley Leg mite - thank-you.

I will have a good look tomorrow to see if she has mites/ lice and will purchase spray as required. She has been eating....I haven't seen her drink altho I may have missed her.

I also forgot to add to the list of strange things that she seems puffed up...twice her usual size.

Thank-you for your time and advice.
JT

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 08:38:02 pm »
it could be her feathers puffed up, suggesting skin irritation

hopefulluy everything goes well ,it's hard to loose one of two

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 07:21:31 am »
The colour of her comb might suggest she is not getting enough oxygen, I'd suggest you check her crop. I know you said she's eating but it may be a build up there.
If you're not sure she's drinking try and make her take some water.
Do you know if she has laid lately? If she's puffed up she could be egg bound? Is it her abdomen that's swollen?
Whilst you're looking up about scaly leg mite treatments, try rubbing some vaseline into her scales for the time being.
You say you pick up the poo everyday - check hers out, it's often the poo that tells you what might be wrong.
I'm not an expert, it's just that I've had a sickly chick and done quite a bit of research just lately :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS