Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: poultry spice and oyster shell  (Read 2573 times)

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
poultry spice and oyster shell
« on: August 25, 2010, 09:09:18 pm »
my hens have recently been laying lots of eggs with a very soft or no shell which i think is treatable with oyster shell added to their food, is this correct?
secondly the number of eggs has been decreasing slowly and now we are only getting 2 eggs a day from our 6 hens who are just over a year old, i know that they will slow down after their first year but it is not consistantly low for example some days we could get 5 and others just 2.
I have heard people talk about poultry spice has being something you can give them to give them an extra boost, is this the case? i was thinking it must be worth a try even if it doesnt work? they have been wormed and i am sure they are not laying elsewhere!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! 

This is some stuff i thought of getting for the soft shell problem any good??  http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/net-tex-mineral-powder-with-pro-biotics                    :chook:

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: poultry spice and oyster shell
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 09:22:28 pm »
Yes Poultry Spice and Oyster shell are good.  Your hens are probably moulting in which case their egg production will reduce so their bodies can put more effort into growing new feathers.

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 09:26:13 pm »
that would make sense but these things would help them through it??

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 08:47:43 am »
Yes - I always give my birds an extra dose of tonic when they are moulting. Make sure they have regular access to grit as well for their egg shells - you can b uy mixed grit which contains oyster shell.

jt5824

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Leeds
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 08:31:19 pm »
I had the same problem and found that the poultry spice worked well. I add it to their grit dish in the hope that they take it in whilst consuming their grit.

I also purchased apple cider tonic which is also good for them.

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 07:27:46 am »
Shells need calcium to form. Oyster shell is the most common answer. We've found Limestone Flour to be quite effective too.
The product you've looked at says it is high in limestone and and oyster grit so, on the face of it, should do the trick.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 10:29:58 am »
I use the same, with good results.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS