Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cockerel made her broody?  (Read 2289 times)

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
cockerel made her broody?
« on: August 24, 2010, 10:12:29 pm »
when i shut the hens in tonight one was in the nesting box, never happened before. I introduced a cockerel last week, has his presence/mating made her go broody?

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: cockerel made her broody?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 11:47:48 pm »
how long she sat for? attacking you? popping noise? is she broody or she just want a early night?

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 12:29:50 am »
she was out with the rest earlier today, not attacking me but i didn't touch her even tho' there would have been eggs under her ( i often just wait till i'm shutting them in to lift the eggs), no popping noise. will see what she does in the morning

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 09:32:20 am »
...& this morning she's out & about with the others, maybe was just an early night!

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 06:47:19 pm »
sorry  ::)  ::)  ::)

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 11:50:55 pm »
Hey Cameron don't be sorry. even though I intended to only have some chicks next year from the LS  I got from Nicky,  I started to get excited at the thought of the patter of tiny chick feet!  The cockerel (Mr Luvva Luvva) has settled in well & the 'girls' like him

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 03:38:56 pm »
could be mites if they start sleeping in the nesting box... hope not! :chook: :&>

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 10:05:47 pm »
she's back to roosting with the others again so hopefully not mites, i've never had them in any of my hens, they're in a brick building (ex-outdoor loo) so i'm able to give it a good scrub out in summer so that probably helps. what's the best product to use if i need to?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 10:24:27 pm »
I got away with powder so far but mine were all back in the nesting box tonight (could not see any beasties anywhere), so a good springclean and hot vinegar spray is next, I think, just in case.... :&>

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 10:49:03 pm »
are the mites easy to see? how big are they? are all powder pretty much the sme?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 11:02:11 pm »
I've only seen a few one night under the bedding. They are tiny but come out in clusters sometimes. They go along under the perches, but I never found anything there. Hence the boxes for sleeping...First year for me with chooks, never had an issue with parasites with the ducks, but they are so shy that they are harder to check out - I'm not so certain now! For bad infestations you can get industrial strenght sprays, just check out the mites threads, I'm sure it was mentioned... :&>

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 11:44:40 pm »
Thanks for that, will keep an eye out for them

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS