Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wizard's recipes - your favourites please - to produce a booklet for charity  (Read 16903 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Wizard's recipes - your favourites please - to produce a booklet for charity
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 11:18:03 am »
If a book/booklet is wanted I could ask my son who is a graphic designer to come up with a cover. If whoever is organising said book would get in touch with me and tell me what sort of thing is wanted I am sure Matt would be more than happy to help.
Provided there's no problem with copyright I suggest Gandalf!  Our own Wizard.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

Re: Wizard's recipes - your favourites please - to produce a booklet for charity
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2010, 01:05:55 pm »
I'm more than happy to make a donation in return for a wee bit of advertising space for 'Happy Hippy Designs' - just get in touch once you're ready (and child free ;)) Sharon. If there's any other way I can help just let me know.
Karen xxx

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 08:51:56 pm »
just looked through this post, what a lovely thing to remember him by,

these are the two posts i remember most, one of my very few "direct" conversations

Thats right Cameron The hourly show on TV last week.Let me tell others It was an alright show if you didn't know a lamb came out the rear end of a female sheep and a good rams Testicles are as large as a foot ball Kate did her very best with it I am sure.To me and many more it was a rubbish program.I asked the Estate Shepherd what he thought to it and Cameron I'm not going to tell you on here   

Don't be upset if I or any one else pours cold water on your idea-s after all its only my opinion.I have caused a bit of upset by decrying Kate and the lambs Having worked and seen such things for over 60yrs I hope I know better I am all for showing you how to do something but lets have you shewn properly read some of the posts.Filter out the "Oh its lovely posts and evaluate the educational ones. Cameron I have often spoken sorry replied to I didn't realise you were a young man Cameron some of your answers are very grown up indeed.Persuade Doss to stay with us and ask or tell us I for one am always very interested and prepared to share what I have learned in 73 years and in what young people think and hope for

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 11:37:31 pm »
A friend of mine is going in for an operation tomorrow to remove a cancer on an internal organ.  I told her about this book and she asked me to get her a copy of it. She felt it was a wonderful thing to do for someone few of us had met in person.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 02:27:15 am »
Recipes please people!  :wave:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 08:00:30 am »
George told me to fertilise the tomato plants with goat poo (having an absence of sheep poo here) so I filled a pillow case with goat much (hubby and kids thought I'd lost the plot) soaked it and hung it above some of the plants. the ones it hung over grew at least 3 times larger and much quicker. He said it was better than tomorite and he was so right!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 12:13:54 pm »
George was great for his jokes!  He used to send me them on a daily basis till I had to ask him to stop as I hadn't time to read them and my inbox was getting overloaded.  But they were always so very funny, and usually related to something he'd seen on this forum. I wish now I hadn't asked him to stop as I could have sent them to you Sharon.
I remember eh was very taken with the tortoise i had as part of my signature to show my weight loss.  He nicknamed it Olaf!  Goodness knows why?  So you may find references throughout his posts to Olaf.  He also decided to call me 'Annie love' rather than just Annie, after a Landlady in Coronation Street.  Not sure what the connotations were there though - just George's way of thinking.  I will miss that humour.

Cavendish

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 01:14:52 pm »
It is very sad to read of Wizard's passing, as you can see I am new here and did not get a chance to converse with the great man, I had been reading the forums for a while before signing up, while browsing some time ago I came across several recipes that Wizard had posted, they were for two version of Pate and I think some chutneys. I will try to locate them and send them your way Sharondp, unless you have those already?

I think that this is a great way of remembering someone who clearly gave so much inspiration and knowledge to his fellow human beings.

Regards

Adam:farmer:

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2010, 08:18:13 pm »
Keep them coming - i remember the recipes you mention Adam, but it would be great if you could find them and copy & paste them on to here - thank you!  :)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2010, 09:22:37 pm »

Sharondp I have a DVD that George sent my, it is of himself in the kitchen pickling walnuts amongst other things. If you would like it PM me

your address and I will send it on to you.
Anne

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2010, 08:14:00 am »
i am sure he done one for rhubarb champagne and wine, will have a look

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2010, 11:19:52 am »
I remember laughing out loud at George's description of Kath's experience with the bread mix and the Panasonic breadmaker - been there!

Take the bread for instance there are several I cannot make in the Panasonic Give you a chortle Mick Kath was in Lidl with me some time ago and they had a whole range of bread mixes Look George there is some of that fluffy Italian sort shall we buy one Yes lets So on the next afternoon she said Lets make that bread mix.(MICK WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS READ THE BLOODY INSTRUCTIONS)So add water to the pan first then the mix Easy eh? Switch on and do things else where,GEORGE George is heard screaming from the kitchen I rushes in as fast as I could and the Chiabatta had pushed the lid up and back and was visibly growing .Switch the thing off woman.It wasn't a lot of bother to clean up but on retrieving the packet from the bin and READING THE INSTRUCTIONS Use only half this packet of mix per loaf.Em mm! Huh? Grin Farmer

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2010, 06:04:04 pm »
As well as a recipe a story I know it is true because I have done it.
                                                   RHUBARB WINE
Years ago Grandad Baker used to make a Rhubarb wine like this Half a cwt (56lbs) of rhubarb well chopped up and then smashed in an oak barrel which didn't have a lid fitted it was loose Ram with a clean bit of 3X4 wood until the rhubarb was next thing to fluid. add a stone of sugar  a gallon of strong tea and 7lbs of sultanas well chopped up Stir in 25 gallons of water at blood heat and stir well Then add 2 rounds of toast with 2 ozs of bakers yeast on each slice and float on the top of the mix. Cover over with an old a wet bed sheet and a wet railway sack leave for a month Stirring when he remembered to carefully remove the scum and stir up well and recover leave 24 hrs then syphon the wine out into demijohns and cork Store for use Now this is the real "WEASELS PISS" well as near as you can get without catching a live weasel.Its orribull acid weak flavour don't bother.

Now try this for a nice dry wine
2lbs rhubarb well chopped up and crushed.
2lbs sugar
1/2lb sultanas chopped
1/2 pint strong tea
Yeast and a teaspoon of nutrient
1 campden tablet
and a gallon of cooled boiled water

Leave the pulp in the pail and add the sultanas and the campden tablet which you have crushed and added a eggcup full of warmwater to dissolve it  and add it to the pulp.Boil the sugar in a quart of water for 2 minutes and add it to the pulp when it has cooled to blood heat add the tea yeast and nutrient cover with a wet tea towel and allow to ferment for 3 days stirring every day night and morning Strain through a double layer of muslin into a clean pail and wring out to get all the juice Coverand leave over night next day syphon off into a sterile demijohn leaving behind all the settled debris.top up to the base of the neck with cooled boiled water fit an airlock and leave to ferment right out.Bottle in sterile bottles and cork Leave in a dark place until Xmas.
to make a medium sweet rhubarb wine use 21/2 lbs of rhubarb and 1lb of chopped raisins 21/2lbs of sugar and use the above method This will produce a very nice medium sweet wine fit for any one.You must let it ferment right out though.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2010, 09:23:51 pm »
This is the only recipe I discussed with Wizard- after I asked for a recipe for pickling courgettes.

Courgette Cake
Pinched and adapted from an original Nigel Slater recipe
You need
200 G Butter
200 G Caster sugar
   2    Fresh eggs
150 G courgettes coarsely grated
   1    medium apple      "          "
200 G Plain Flour
         A Large pinch of salt
        1/2 a teaspoon of baking powder and the same of powder cinnamon
 60  G Broken walnuts (Nigel used pecans)
100 G Mixed dried fruit (" only used sultanas)

What to do
Pre heat the oven to Gas 4
Butter and line a loaf tin ready

Cream the butter and sugar together until its light and fluffy
Beat the eggs and fold in carefully one at a time to make sure they are well distributed
Wring the excess moisture from the courgettes and the apple and stir into the mix
Mix the powders together (flour salt etc;) and stir into the mixture
Carefully fold in the Dried fruit and nuts.
Spoon the mixture into your prepared loaf tin and place in the center of the oven
cook for about an hour or until the top is nice and golden and firm to the touch
Allow the cake to cool in the loaf tin before turning out.
Another Ace recipe from Nigel  :farmer: :wave:

Great Idea, and I'll gladly have a copy.

Beth

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2010, 01:54:48 pm »
The courgette cake is now a firm favourite in our house Beth!

Keep 'em coming!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS