Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Too many eggs!  (Read 5535 times)

Jakebob

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Stirling
Too many eggs!
« on: August 29, 2010, 01:44:06 pm »
Help....I have too many eggs, we dont have hens at the moment but my mum and my friend keeps giving us eggs and I don't have the heart to say...no thanks!!

Any ideas what I could make thats uses eggs n eggs n more eggs??

I do bake a lot.

We also have 5 apple trees in the garden, quite a lot of them are ready too.

I have already made apple crumble and stewed 2 batches of apples, Im going to put the stewed apples in the freezer.

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
Re: Too many eggs!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 02:25:33 pm »
well i'm not a baker, but love meringue, so anything topped with meringue as a variation on lemon meringue pie? my (ex) mothr-in-law made a fantastic light cake, she calls Angel Cake, using the whites of 16 eggs, I've yet to get the recipe but if I do will pass it on

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 03:03:27 pm »
How about mayonnaise and lemon curd, preserves them and you cant beat homemade!

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 03:09:03 pm »
Pickled eggs  :P Okay, maybe not !
Best suggestion I can come up with is yorkshire puddings and victoria sponges I'm afraid and french toast for breakfast every day  ;) ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 03:27:47 pm »
I think you can freeze them if you separate the whites from the yolks, but then that only puts off the moment when you really need to say, 'Well actually, I have plenty left this week  as we haven't used so many.' or 'Hmm, maybe not for a while as the kids/hubby have gone off them a bit.' ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 04:29:33 pm »
Try HFW's tortilla - uses 10 eggs.

River Cafe's chocolate nemesis uses 10 eggs too.

My courgette loaf in the recipe section uses 5 eggs

That's 2 dozen gone already!  ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 04:54:45 pm »
To use the apples and eggs together, apple Charlotte ie sponge instead of crumble topping.  Freezes well.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sarha

• Joined Jun 2010
  • East Sussex
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 08:32:39 am »
 ;D Whats wrong with pickled eggs happyhippy?!
I make quiet a few!
They are lovely pickled in balsamic vinegar or a mixture or malt/balsamic with a few dried chillies.
I'm lucky tho, my kids love'em!
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines; sail away from the safe harbour; catch the trade winds in your sails. -  Mark Twain

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 11:02:12 am »
In the past I have used Isinglass to preserve them.  From memory the spring glut lasts until you need them for Christmas baking.  You don't use them for boiled egg but mainly cooking purposes. 

You used to be able to buy it from the Chemist, but you could probably get it of t'internet now.  Eggs are best put in fresh, and clean but not washed. (again from memory - last time I did it was about 15 years ago)

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 09:28:15 am »
Get your self an enamel or tin bucket(not plastic) and some waterglass. Make up the waterglass to a bucketful and add clean eggs to it daily. Always keep the eggs well submerged. Then you will have eggs for when your girls stop laying.
They are good for anything except frying or poaching(the white goes a bit runny)
If you can fit a lid to the bucket this will help stop evaporation.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 10:12:34 am »
Yes Slyvia - You are right it was Waterglass :o  What a fool - we used Isinglass to stick the corded bit back round the Aga lids - Isinglass would be a disaster for preserving eggs  :-[ Go job you posted   Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 12:17:21 pm »
I freeze them in batches, what I am most likely to need in the months with no eggs - 3 duck for cakes, 4 scrambled (uncooked, lol) for quiches, hens' seperated for tarts and pies,...
meant to try the waterglass method but did not get round to it, so the cream cheese tubs came in handy, just the right size for freezing :&>

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 05:59:48 pm »
I separate them freeze them individually.

I put small muffin cases in a muffin tray and put one yolk in each case.

Similarly with the whites except I use large muffin cases and a correspondingly large muffin tray

Once they have frozen I peel off the paper cases (the base needs a VERY quick dip in hot water) and freeze in bags of six.

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS