Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wizard's recipes - your favourites please - to produce a booklet for charity  (Read 16570 times)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
v-book is a virtual book and also the name of a company that has an online program to help compile and publish

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
Excerpt from an email George sent me on 21 July 2010 - BRAMBLE LIQUEUR

"We hope you can pick brambles to try So long as you like a sweet liqueur You will make some every year It's also a great present for you cannot buy it anywhere I know about Yes you can buy Blackberry wine but this isn't wine.For a little LAFF did I post this I cannot remember.Young chap bursts into the lounge and says "Have you seen my box of tablets Nana.It says LSD on the lid"  "Never mind about your "F" tablets have you seen all those "F" Dragons in the kitchen? I know its silly but it just tickled me ........ "

Followed by

"From what you tell me you are a very busy lady so you may not have time if you have go Brambling A very nice liqueur can be made with blackberries.You need a glass goodie jar and sugar Sterilize your goodie jar for a start.Now place 11/2"to2" of brambles(DO NOT WASH THEM PICK OUT ANY GREEN ONES AND BAD ONES BUT USE AS PICKED THIS IS IMPORTANT) Put enough sugar in to make the top of the brambles level sugar.keep doing it until it wont accept any more Pour the resultant juice into a prepared demijohn and fit an air lock use to or 3 goodie jars if you have them.2 is useful because you can let one run out of juice and then continue with jar 2 Mix the waste with some apples and make some jam or nice jelly and there is no waste,Don't continue to collect and add berries after the last day of September as the Pissmires will have pee'd on them is country law.You need do nothing more until you are sure the liqueur has ceased fermenting mid October.syphon off into sterile bottles and store in a cool dark place this is only given to special friends and if you can find some 1/2 bottles use them Oh and only keep it Christmas to Christmas It is very thick and sweet and extremely injurious to your driving license or can be LAFF What have I missed? Lol George and Kath"

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:20:26 pm by valr »

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
I love reading these excerpts from George's posts - its almost like he is still with us and sharing his jokes and experience. 
we have a book written by an evesham man all about his childhood growing up here in plum country and I really think that George's words would win audiences - he was not only a talented, humerous man but he made you feel like you'd known him always, I think that's why this is such a sad loss.

sorry to hijack the recipe thread but I do feel that the spirit of George comes across so well in the anecdotes and would carry the recipes beautifully  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
I love the idea of a book and would like to help in anyway I can Maybe when it's published I could try to sell a couple of hundred!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
I love the idea of a book and would like to help in anyway I can Maybe when it's published I could try to sell a couple of hundred!
Just a thought, Sharon - would it look better with photos? people could do the recipes then take a photo before consuming and email it to you.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
I'm not going to be able to start working on this properly until the kids go back to school - (1 more week!) At the moment I'm just collating recipes - I have my favourites but need more from you guys!

If anyone can offer help, such as designing the cover, artwork etc that would be apprciated. I think photos would just increase printing costs too much. Not sure what other people think?

I was thinking of doing  an A5 booklet with a coloured card cover. Should be able to sell each one for £2.

Also, to cover printing costs I was wondering if those of us with small businesses on here would like to advertise inside the back cover for a donation towards production costs - that way we raise more for the MAcmillan Charity.

All thoughts and help appreciated!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Hi Sharon

I'd be happy to donate and advertise Its Baaath time to help with production costs etc.
1 more week till school again - yay!

Lisa x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
I'm not going to be able to start working on this properly until the kids go back to school - (1 more week!) At the moment I'm just collating recipes - I have my favourites but need more from you guys!

If anyone can offer help, such as designing the cover, artwork etc that would be apprciated. I think photos would just increase printing costs too much. Not sure what other people think?

I was thinking of doing  an A5 booklet with a coloured card cover. Should be able to sell each one for £2.

Also, to cover printing costs I was wondering if those of us with small businesses on here would like to advertise inside the back cover for a donation towards production costs - that way we raise more for the MAcmillan Charity.

All thoughts and help appreciated!
I think you'll find that many printers would reduce printing costs if for a charity - especially this one - might I suggest a title containing his user name - Wizard?  and maybe his avatar on the cover? (providing the photo of Gandalf isn't locked by another printer, or author, of course, never thought of that)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Yeadingham, North Yorkshire
If I can help with this in any way I will
Live for today. Tomorrow never comes

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
Would just like to say what a fantastic idea and a wonderful tribute. Very best of luck with the project and look forward to donating or contributing,

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
Dear All,
I'm quite a newbie on here but had a few "chats" with George The Wizard.
Just been diagnosed with something a bit crappy myself and haven't been on for a while so have only just heard about Georges passing. I'm SO sorry to hear that. The only comment I feel like making now is "BUGGER". I was really looking forward to some wise and interesting Wizard-isms.
God rest him.

If I can help in any way with the booklet count me in.
Sue

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: Wizard's recipes - your favourites please - to produce a booklet for charity
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 12:11:33 pm »
this is my favourite from Wizard -  :bouquet:

what to do with sorrel??
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:58:39 PM »
   Reply with quoteQuote
Hello NFD Try this 1 pint Vegatable broth - a couple of tablespoons uncooked rice - a bunch of sorrel removed from its stems - a small carton thick cream - and salt and pepper to taste.Simmer the rice until its cooked in the veg stockthen add the sorrel and simmer until cooked Remove from the heat and blitz to a smooth consistency - Stir in the cream and serve.p/s I often cheat and use stock cubes to make the liquid   :D :farmer: :wave:

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
Re: Wizard's recipes - your favourites please - to produce a booklet for charity
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 08:49:16 pm »
This is such a short quote from Wizard, but made me laugh at the time.
We are definitely into Creme Brulee SL1. I use my ex plumbing blowlamp to caramelise the Dark brown sugar.Oh I'm dribbling with the thought ;D :farmer:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 10:33:33 am »
If a book/booklet is wanted I could ask my son who is a graphic designer to come up with a cover. If whoever is organising said book would get in touch with me and tell me what sort of thing is wanted I am sure Matt would be more than happy to help.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 10:34:43 am »
That would be me Sylvia - can't really make a start until kids are back at school next week but I'll give you a shout then - thank you!  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS