Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New home needed for two pygmy goats  (Read 16547 times)

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
New home needed for two pygmy goats
« on: August 05, 2010, 11:54:29 am »
Unfortunately soon I will no longer have enough room for my two pet pygmy goats, they are castrated males 21/2 years old but as we are breeding more pigs they really need a new home.  They are very friendly and used to children as well as other animals, never suffered any health problems and have been regularly wormed.  please get in touch if you can offer them a good home - we are in Shrewsbury, Shropshire.  They were tagged but as normal they have come out, we can re tag before they moved, do have pictures but they are too big to post here but will email them.  :goat:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: New home needed for two pygmy goats
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 12:06:10 pm »
Hope you find a good home.  A word of warning.  There are people rehoming these little goats, and selling them on at a huge price to pet homes, as they are hugely sought after.  I am sure no one on this forum would do such a thing though!!  I rehomed three of my pygmys recently, a two castrated males and a female, to a lovely farm, where they have a petting farm, over in Cheshire.

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 12:10:41 pm »
thank you for the warning! I never thought any one would do something like that, I will try to make sure it is a good home and be more cautious now!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 12:13:41 pm »
If you were closer to me the wee things could have had a happy life here. :goat: :goat:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 12:16:32 pm »
Yes, its not a nice thought, but when I was rehoming my goats, I had some phone calls from, lets say, people who did not sound like they were offering the sort of home I wanted. One man rang, he had no holding number, but said he kept goats?, and they were going to a good home.  I suspected they were for meat. Next day, a lady rang, saying she had a holding number, but from the same phone number, and I could hear the man in the background telling her what to say.  

Its very hard to  suss out some people.  But quite often if you suggest either visiting beforehand, or bringing the goats, thats enough to put off some of the less genuine people.  Or ask for their postcode, and go on a secret visit to see what sort of place it is.

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 12:36:14 pm »
I am worried now! They are so beautiful and no way they are going for meat, maybe I will contact the local petting farms and see if they could home them for me  :goat:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 02:17:32 pm »
Oh, don't be worried!!  There are lots of genuine people out there.  Just take your time, vet the people best you can.....I hope mine are all well cared for, but once out of my ownership, you just don't know.  Ask lots of questions about how they will care for your goats, what sort of situation they will live in etc.....nice people will be only too happy to be asked questions and it shows you care.

Interestingly, when I went to pick up the goats we rehomed, all the people said it was immediately obvious that we were animal lovers.  We were not doing anything out of the ordinary, but they, and their goats picked up that we were going to give them a nice home.  Watch the people around your goats, and see how your goats react too :D

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 02:35:10 pm »
oh like James, if we were closer we would LOVE to give them a home for the rest of their days - along side the sheep, ducks, chickens and horses.......but we are in Fife too.....hope you find the right place for them - go with your gut instinct and watch how the goats behave with prospective people - they'll tell you if they like them or not!

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 04:39:51 pm »
We're not too far from you - in Ross-on Wye, Herefordshire. Would they get on with sheep? We have a large paddock, with a small section penned off for 'maintenance' stuff. We have 6 badger faced welsh mountain sheep and 4 lambs but they will be off soon! Could you email pics to me? Hubby has no idea I'm responding to this post so I can't promise anything yet!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 05:18:26 pm »
Hubby has no idea I'm responding to this post so I can't promise anything yet

Ah Sharon - a woman after my own heart lol!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 05:31:30 pm »
My hubby is never told anything .....until the night before collection, when I may drop it into conversation.  When he says "what goat/hens/whatever - you just say, "I told you last week, have you forgotten?" :D  They don't like to admit that alot of what we say goes in one ear, and out of the other, so rather than get in trouble for not listening, they just pretend they DID know and forgot.  It works unless you mention money, and then they usually know exactly what they said and when, and how much it was.

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 05:54:24 pm »
Hi sharon, at the moment they get on well with our pigs, dogs and ducks! I cant see you email on your profile - it says hidden - do I send it to the sales email on your website??  In truth there are three but I am so attached to Pepper I didn't put him for rehoming but actually it would not be fair to keep him on his own so there needs to be three rehomed, such a muppet with animals  :goat:

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 06:57:25 pm »
I've emailed you  :)

Ladies - we are such a wicked lot!

Bubble, bubble....... ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 07:31:11 pm »
indeedy!!  when our goats were due to arrive the conversation went :
lisa - "Tony, you know you said goats were a good idea..."
Tony "er yeah..."
lisa "well, I've found some and they are coming this weekend - they just need somewhere to sleep..."

cue frantic shed building that thursday and friday lol!!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 07:35:41 pm »
have sent you photos, good luck with husband!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS