Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting out - breeds  (Read 3189 times)

Sonia in Cornwall

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Helston, Cornwall
  • Meet Blue - our little bundle of chaos
    • Going Stress Free - our personal mission
Starting out - breeds
« on: August 26, 2010, 11:59:48 am »
I haven't got goats yet - and I've done an awful lot of reading about what to feed them, how to house them etc etc.  What I haven't seen is advice on what sort of breed to go for - so I'm hoping someone here can help. 

We want a pair of goats (to start with) that will basically be good dairy goats.  I'd like to make use of them for milk, butter, cheese and (having been inspired by posts on here) soap!  Possibly their fleece as well although I'm not so fussed about that at the moment.  One day I'd like to consider rearing them for meat as well but that's a long way off. 

Can anyone make any suggestions about a good dairy breed that will be kind to a novice goat keeper?   :goat:

Thank you! 

"Often people attempt to live life backwards - they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want, to be happier.  The way it really works is in reverse.  First be who you really are, then do what you need, in order to have what you want."  Margaret Young

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Starting out - breeds
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 12:08:15 pm »
Firstly, if you are going to want to milk them, make sure that you can milk before getting goats. Its not as easy as it looks, and there is a knack!!  Get in touch with a local goat owner, and ask if they can show you how to milk, etc. most people are more than happy to help a newbie. 

Pygmy goats are not for milking, so avoid those if its milk you want them for.  Sanaans, alpines, toggenberg, and the golden guernsey, plus the Anglo Nubian are all milking breeds.  Angora goats are the ones used for their fleece.

Really, you want one in milk now, and then another in kid, to provide milk for next year, otherwise, if you have two milking, you will find you end up them both drying up and no milk at all.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 12:11:48 pm »
Pygmy goats are not for milking, so avoid those if its milk you want them for.  Sanaans, alpines, toggenberg, and the golden guernsey, plus the Anglo Nubian are all milking breeds.  Angora goats are the ones used for their fleece.

Morning Sonia. I have hi jacked the above quote from another thread that Roxy left, I am sure she won't mind me borrowing it. I have 12 goats of various breeds but they are all kept as pets and make brilliant pets, I have to say. Good luck with your search.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 01:07:00 pm »
I'm milking a toggenburg currently and she has been an absolute gem - I'd been taught to milk in Wales but actually doing it twice a day on your own goats is a bit nervewracking to start with!! Avocet has put up iwth my learning on the job and lets my daughters learn on her too. Big gentle thing she is!

Because we are reliant on the milk now for the soap making business I find myself faced with having to take on of my girls to a billy each year to alternate who is in kid, producing milk etc. I am a bit stressed about the prospect of this!!

Also, when you are milking you are tied somewhat - days out are harder to have as you need to be back in time. HOlidays - you need someone good to take over for you.

I had a cuddle with a gorgeous GG goats yesterday - they always seem lovely and have good milk too x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 10:42:21 pm »
Some of the breeds are quieter than others. British Saanens (BS) are quite, and produce lots of milk, but often the milk can be poorer in Butterfat/protein content. British Toggenburgs (BT) and British Alpines (BA) also produce good yields, but they can be more boisterous.

Anglo-Nubians (AN) and Golden Guernseys (GG) are both realatively quiet, but do not give as much milk as the breeds above, also, they are likely to not milk for as long. For example, I know a few BT and BS's who have kept on milking for 5-6 years after giving birth, which a AN or GG generally wouldn't do. The best advice is go to your local goat club, and go a vist a few different breeders to see what you like. Also its good to go to an agricultural show with goats there, as it gives you a chance to see lots of different ones all at once. Personally I would reccomend Anglo-Nubian's to everyone, but I may be slightly biased!

Beth

lassemista

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 12:33:32 pm »
I have English goats - traditional cottagers goat, allrounders and tough as old boots. English Goat Breeders Association have good website for more info.
Andrea.

Sonia in Cornwall

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Helston, Cornwall
  • Meet Blue - our little bundle of chaos
    • Going Stress Free - our personal mission
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 02:20:34 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I've already got the contact details of my local goat society so plan to get in touch with them before we actually get any.  It's just useful knowing where to start with my more in depth research to get to know breeds. 

:goat:

I'm sure I'll be back with LOADS more questions!   ::) ;D

"Often people attempt to live life backwards - they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want, to be happier.  The way it really works is in reverse.  First be who you really are, then do what you need, in order to have what you want."  Margaret Young

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS