NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Worming  (Read 763 times)

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
Worming
« on: February 06, 2018, 10:50:21 pm »
Hi All, I want to get a worm count done with my goats but by the time I finish work then drive to the vets they are closed. I was think of doing a postal worm count do any of you have any experience with a postal service and if so who would you recommend. I live in West Lothian but the vet I use is in Lanark, my other choice is to try and get away from work early one day.
Voss Electric Fence

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Worming
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 06:06:46 am »
Does your vet not have evening surgery and Saturday appointments? The latter is not ideal as they likely won't look at the samples until Monday.  Your other option is to do the sampling late Sunday/early Monday and drop off to the surgery on your way in to work (having kept it cold in the meantime).  If you're going to do that, speak to them in advance about where you can leave it as most vets normally have a drop box or safe space.  You may even find that although surgery is closed, staff are around checking on whatever has been kept in over night (early morning or mid evening) so there may be an option for you to drop it off out of hours for processing once they're working.  My vets send the samples off to SAC so another option may be to talk to your vets and see if there's a way you could send them directly there with the results coming back to your vet if needs be.
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 07:12:54 am »
Westgate labs do a great mail order service for all stock. https://www.westgatelabs.co.uk/

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 10:07:51 am »
I post mine to my Vets. The old postmistress used to routinely ask what was being posted. I never said sheep s**t though.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 09:06:07 pm »
I posted some samples off to Westgate Labs yesterday and got the results back today.

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 06:45:44 pm »
Hi, thanks for the information, the problem I have with the getting to the vet it’s in the opposite direction to my work and approximately 30 miles at peak traffic so I think the best solution is westgate by post.

worming

Started by langdon

Replies: 4
Views: 1465
Last post February 15, 2010, 09:58:57 pm
by langdon
worming

Started by langdon

Replies: 5
Views: 1894
Last post April 29, 2010, 11:25:55 pm
by ballingall
Worming

Started by Penninehillbilly

Replies: 2
Views: 935
Last post February 14, 2014, 01:10:03 pm
by Penninehillbilly
Worming goats

Started by maybelle

Replies: 17
Views: 10027
Last post June 08, 2016, 10:47:23 pm
by Melmarsh
WEIGHTS AND WORMING

Started by tizaala

Replies: 4
Views: 1788
Last post July 08, 2011, 10:06:34 pm
by jaykay

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Assist Animal Care Services Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2018. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS