Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping Pygmy Goats  (Read 2522 times)

Witchy

• Joined Feb 2018
  • Norfolk
Keeping Pygmy Goats
« on: February 01, 2018, 01:26:51 pm »
Newbie here, please be gentle  :)
Spent a long time researching keeping a pair of Pygmy goats, have CPH number and recently been planning their paddock. Unfortunately, one huge worry is that my land is surrounded by oak trees and come autumn acorns and leaves cover the ground. It's concerning me so much, I'm wondering if I should give up on my dream?  I'd never want to put animals at risk and their well being goes well ahead of fulfilling my dream. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
Thank you 

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Keeping Pygmy Goats
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 07:03:56 am »
I've got mature oak trees in the hedges around several of my fields, the goats and sheep eat the acorns and leaves and they're all still here.
I'm sure if it was a problem for sheep all the local farmers would have cleared the oak trees years ago.

Witchy

• Joined Feb 2018
  • Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 09:53:39 am »
Thank you for the welcome  :)
Love the pig idea, but it's a no go for me.

I've been doing more research and it seems that, unless they ate loads of fallen acorns and oak leaves, they should be fine. Extra precautions when they fall and a change in where their hard standing and shelter will go, will help.

It's amazing how different the information is from source to source, plus much seems to come from the USA rather than being UK specific. It was one of the few UK specific books that brought up oak trees and sent me in a spin.

Next step is getting my head around the movement, herd number and record keeping paperwork.

Witchy

• Joined Feb 2018
  • Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 02:38:09 pm »
I'm in West Norfolk  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS