Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Abattoir information in Wales  (Read 2297 times)

susie100

• Joined Feb 2018
Abattoir information in Wales
« on: March 05, 2018, 09:32:20 pm »
Hi
I am new to this but hubby and I moved to Snowdonia in 2016 and have the good fortune to have fourteen acres.  It seems a crime not to use the land but I am still a novice, however  last year had success with a couple of Gloucester Old Spots and now enjoying the fruits and bacon of my labour.
I would love to get a couple of goats for meat but I am having real trouble finding an abattoir that will do the slaughter.  Does anyone know of one?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Abattoir information in Wales
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 10:59:41 pm »
I take mine to Wrexham and have always been happy with the results.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 06:22:38 am »
http://www.dandjthomas.co.uk/contact/
D&J Thomas at Rhosllanerchrugog near Wrexham are very good and helpful to beginners.
Don't phone Monday or Tuesday, you'll get the old man cos the others are in the abbattoir which is separate from the butchers shop.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 11:55:54 pm »
That’s the one I meant.

susie100

• Joined Feb 2018
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 05:50:42 pm »
Thank you. That is anout two hours away pulling a trailer. Am I allowed to take them so far?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:39:40 pm »
I do. I think there 's a limit to how long in time you can be without giving them a drink but it's a lot further than two hours.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 11:20:40 am »

Thank you. That is anout two hours away pulling a trailer. Am I allowed to take them so far?

If you don't move animals as part of a business activity (as in these are only for your private consumption) then you are exempt from having to have a transport certificate. Still need to do movement forms though.

Beware - goats have a much bigger cuteness factor than pigs (in my opinion), but we do eat our spare males here as well - and it is the most fabulous meat!

susie100

• Joined Feb 2018
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 08:12:35 pm »
Ha, Anke, you are so right, I have ended up buying two Pygmys, far too cute to eat  :goat: ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS