Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best size of willow cuttings to plant?  (Read 15802 times)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Best size of willow cuttings to plant?
« on: November 27, 2017, 07:02:22 pm »
I'm looking at planting a few hybrid willow cuttings from Bowhayes (or nearer if I can find them) but they offer different size cuttings. How much of a difference does a plant of 1ft or 2ft make?

Also are the hybrids okay for growing in the north of Scotland?
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Re: Best size of willow cuttings to plant?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 09:39:38 pm »
Answered my own question by finding information on www.thewillowbank.com. Thought somebody else on here might find it useful too

What size Cutting should I choose?

1ft cuttings establish and grow well in weed free conditions and may grow 6ft or more long in the 1st growing season.

2ft cuttings also benefit from weed free conditions.

3ft cuttings prefer weed free conditions but will tolerate some weed competition.

4ft cuttings likewise prefer weed free conditions but are more tolerant of weeds. They are planted 12 to 16 inches deep below most other weed roots and the new shoots get enough light above the weed leaves.

As a general rule, shorter cuttings establish and grow well in weed free conditions, whereas longer cuttings have more stored energy and therefore will establish and grow better in unfavourable conditions

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 10:01:07 pm »
Over the years I have planted well over a 100 willow from cuttings. For best results I have found 1ft grows well even in long grass.  They need pruned every year otherwise they do not form deep roots and get top heavy. By pruning they bush out rather than growing tall and thin. I start my cuttings off in a pail with water until I see roots then plant well into the ground. Trees that I have not kept on top off get too tall and are easy blown over in strong winds. We planted Willow in a very wet paddock and it helped a great deal drying up the ground. They grow fast.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 10:05:39 pm »
Cheers sabrina.  Good info to know

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 09:49:19 am »
I planted about 60 whips in a boggy area hoping it would help to dry it out and feed the goats. However, it seems that deer like them as well.  I have 2 left

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 11:43:37 am »
I've been doing a bit of willow planting to try to prevent erosion.

After checking a few websites, I settled with producing my cuttings a minimum of 1cm thick, with the point on the base and the flat end on the top from 1' to 2'. There was different advice out there on all these things but this is what worked for me from a production point of view, it's too soon to tell if they've established.

I also collected mine from bankings/unkept waste ground meaning I didn't have to go and buy them.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 03:09:25 pm »
I only want to plant 10 at first as I have very limited space in the back garden until I can afford to buy some proper ground.

There seem to be quite a few varieties of willow/hybrid willow so will have to research what types are good for 600ft elevation.

Might try to find some willow in the local area but most trees around me are rowan and birch

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 05:12:46 pm »
Alang,  just be aware not to plant near drains, those roots will search for moisture and can get into the slightest leak.
Or near a house or wall, you may be planning on regular cutting, but they can soon take off and suck the ground dry, causing foundation problems.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 05:14:56 pm »
I've been doing a bit of willow planting to try to prevent erosion.

I also collected mine from bankings/unkept waste ground meaning I didn't have to go and buy them.
As a born'n'bred yorkshire lass I definitely approve of that idea  ;D .

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 11:00:30 pm »
Willow will grow right side up, wromg side up, on it's left side, on its right side, in beautifully prepared earth, in grass, in rubble, in water - and it is a thug. :rant:

Plant as little as you can - in 2 years you'll wish you'd never heard of willow  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 11:02:12 pm »
and if you want any (PLEASE) tell me how many 10 inch lengths you want and pay the postage - happy to post them out to you.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 12:18:10 am »
We are at 1,000' and grow nearly all types of willow, except some of the really delicate ones.

How long you make your cuttings depends in part if you want a tree shape, ie with a single leg, or if you want shrubby growth.  We started with short cuttings, about 1' long, buried almost their entire length.  Now they are huge trees, we have problems with some species blowing over, as their root systems are too close to the surface.  Now when we put in replacements, we use 3' cuttings, with half the length in the ground.  We don't start them in water as this makes them grow 'water roots' which are a bit different to ground roots, so once they get planted out they have to start over.  Once the roots start growing then shoots are put out at the top of the cutting - if this is near the ground then you will get a multi branched shrub starting at ground level; if you plant with 18" above ground, then you will have an 18" leg.  The shoots can be trimmed to just one leader to make an even longer leg.  If you have animals near the trees, you are best to grow them on a 5' leg, thin shoots out to about 5 or 6, then let them grow thick enough to be worthwhile firewood, then pollard them and they start again.  If you want to coppice them then cut them back to about 6-9" above the ground.
The variety you grow depends on what you want them for.  If you want to make a bower, then you want a quick grower such as that grown for biofuel. If you want tree hay, or branches for goats or sheep, then you want a fast growing variety which grows to a sturdy tree quickly, such as goat willow.  We have tall, thick trunked trees, mid sized trees and a few small ones.  We also have 3 alpine varieties in the ornamental garden.  The different kinds have a wide variety of pussies, some big, some small, some black, most silver, and they come out over a few weeks, so the bumble bees, which need their nectar, can feed for longer.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 12:19:53 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dav275

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • www.woodwallart.co.uk
    • WoodWallArt
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 08:49:25 am »
Willow will grow right side up, wromg side up, on it's left side, on its right side, in beautifully prepared earth, in grass, in rubble, in water - and it is a thug. :rant:

I wish that worked for us!    In the six years we have lived here, we've planted  about 60 willow cuttings - from 1ft right up to 2 x 7ft trees that we transplanted from down south.  We have 8 survivors, none of which look great. A lot of our ground is very wet and peaty. Maybe I just don't have "green fingers".

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 10:40:06 am »
Maybe you need to gather some from locally which is obviously thriving in your area.
I would agree wholeheartedly with Doganjo that willow grows anywhere.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 12:14:50 pm »
DAV, PM me your address and I'll post some to you to try

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS