Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slow growing meat birds - Sasso etc  (Read 2466 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Slow growing meat birds - Sasso etc
« on: October 22, 2017, 03:45:40 pm »
Im just about to sort out my Le Brasse birds which I hatched some time ago.  If all goes well will be thinking of raising more in new year.

Im looked at Sasso before and been on their website but Im struggling to see what is a Sasso as the french website lists various strains and label rouge (which I thought was one breed) is just a high welfare certification of sasso.

Ive seen various people say they have raised sasso but this seems to be more of a breeding trademark over a breed.

Just to clarify Im not interested in breeding I either want eggs or day olds.  Whats peoples thoughts on this sasso?  Also is there a supplier?  I have a few friends that may be interested too so bulk order may be possible.  I am in SE Wales but can travel.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Slow growing meat birds - Sasso etc
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 04:54:24 pm »
Sasso I a french company supplying slow and medium broiler chickens for organic and free range setups etc.
They are not a single breed but a hybrid of different strains.
I only know two suppliers (used both):
http://www.piggottspoultry.co.uk/meat.html
www.sandtpoultry.co.uk

They are fantastic  birds that will be ready for butchering in 12-16 weeks, depending whether slow or medium growing. Great flavour.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 11:39:20 am »
S&T poultry is strange they never ever pick up the phone or reply to emails/text.  Im not the only one everyone is the same.  I cant work them out at all and seeing they are SA accredited.

I did see piggotts had a breed. Not sure if they would delivery such a small number - unless I can get some friends to come in with me - perhaps someone can confirm this?

I am looking at very slow birds.  Taste and texture has to be No1 So Sasso do various hybrids I was wondering whether one was better than another?

Alternatively, should I stick to Le Brasse if I can get them?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 01:21:24 pm »
S&t picked up when I phoned them and he said they regularly deliver to Wales. Never got a reply from emailing them though lol

Their birds are 80p each which is cheaper than £1 from Piggots.
Piggots delivered 40 birds for £18 to me (Leicester). Last year I had their red ones and standard white ross. Very pleased with them.
Bresse grow a lot slower but are nice to keep for breeding though.
Also to be honest I'm gonna order some more broiler chicks because it works out a lot cheaper than breeding your own or even buying hatching eggs etc. Boilers grow a lot faster and end up with a lot more meat on them. I'll get mixture of different strains (no Ross however).
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 01:42:16 pm »
Good information thanks.

Me and others been phoning S&T for over 2 yrs intermittently.  I did speak to him once who asked me to email over requirements (which I did) never got a reply.  He must of not liked my voice - now given up think Id go to Piggotts.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS