Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Autumn Wild Bird Migration has Begun  (Read 1632 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Autumn Wild Bird Migration has Begun
« on: October 20, 2017, 11:55:27 am »
Seeing small numbers of Fieldfares and Redwings flying West several times a day.  Avian influenza is still rumbling around Europe.  Contingency plans for lockdown might be a good idea.  We have a shanty town of covered runs standing ready in the yard .....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Autumn Wild Bird Migration has Begun
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 12:02:28 pm »
Timely reminder MF  :thumbsup:

Here, the wild geese have been flying over for a couple of weeks now, fieldfares and other small birds too.  My worry was more that our Shetland geese would fly off with them, although so far they just watch and screech at them.

Last year it worked so well housing the hens in our polytunnel over winter that we will repeat that this year anyway, once the bad weather arrives.  But yes, we should all be prepared for a repeat of last year's restrictions.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 08:00:52 pm »
Our hens completely trashed the polytunnel! I am not looking forward to a repeat performance.......

There I was, enjoying the autumn colours, and now I have to think about lockdown. The modern world I suppose. (Do I sound old????) :-\

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 12:06:54 pm »
Nah, it's the modern world ..... not so long ago Farmer John might have noticed a few of his farmyard flock of a couple of dozen chickens looking a bit peaky and one or two might have died.  Now there are sheds with 20,000 birds in them and money makes it a big deal.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS