Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dogs Attacking Sheep  (Read 2098 times)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Dogs Attacking Sheep
« on: September 08, 2017, 09:16:45 am »
Hi All
For any of you who suffer the ordeal of having a dog attack your sheep, could I ask that, in addition to contacting the police, you also send details to Sheep Watch UK / Terena Plowright?

They are gathering information regarding sheep attacks.

Quote from website
"Number of sheep killed by dogs in the UK?
There is no evidence or collective figure for the number of sheep killed by pet dogs in the UK. No-one records it. It is not the job of the police to record it as it is not reportable to the Home Office (things like burglary and murder are). Not everyone is a member of the NFU or has NFU insurance so their figures are not complete. The Home Office does not hold any Police figures nationally, and Defra focus on disease losses.
Without figures or statistics there is no evidence that a crime is taking place – so no police focus, no funding from the government can be put in place, and no extra support can be given to the countryside."

http://www.sheepwatch.co.uk/
TerenaPlowright@gmail.com.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: Dogs Attacking Sheep
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 11:02:30 am »
The NSA have kept a database of dog attacks for a while now ---but it's difficult to get a definitive count
All the attacks on my flocks (about 3 or 4 a year) get reported to NSA

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 07:38:59 am »
I've updated SheepWatch - 5 attacks this year alone.  On top of this it has become painfully evident to me that the police are really quite restricted in what they can do, even to the point of having to return the offending dog to the owners after the fifth attack which killed 2 ewes.
I'm not letting it lie, we are off to court - hopefully a successful prosecution to alert local dog owners to be more careful
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 01:56:16 pm »
Awful. The dogs who attacked our sheep were returned to their owners. Fortunately they chose to have them both put to sleep so court was avoided.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 10:21:56 pm »
I've updated SheepWatch - 5 attacks this year alone.  On top of this it has become painfully evident to me that the police are really quite restricted in what they can do, even to the point of having to return the offending dog to the owners after the fifth attack which killed 2 ewes.
I'm not letting it lie, we are off to court - hopefully a successful prosecution to alert local dog owners to be more careful

Call NSA ---they may well offer help

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 10:56:19 am »
Thanks Tim - I've just spoken with them.  They were really helpful and said that we are doing everything right at the moment and asked for a case study to place on their website once the court case is over.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS