Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crutch or not  (Read 1539 times)

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
Crutch or not
« on: September 20, 2017, 10:41:33 am »
Our ram lamb is due to go in with the girls soon, they have had mucky bums due to the wet grass. So should I crutch them as some say? Last year I did as Tim Tyne says in his book and only trimmed off the worst bits but the ram was an old hand at the job !  what do others do.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Crutch or not
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 11:12:39 am »
I would clean them up. There is still a chance of fly strike and it has got to be better for rams/ewes to serving ewes with clean back ends. Once the ram has been in you don't want to be tipping your ewes so I would get them cleaned up now.

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 12:01:00 pm »
Sorry, always difficult to explain oneself properly in texts. I will trim off the worst but what I'm really asking is, some people crutch back tight while others thought that put rams off ! and I wondered you knowledgeable people on the forum thought.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 12:36:06 pm »
Have fully crutched and done nothing , can't say iv'e found any difference in conception , now I only trim dirty or very woolly , easier life as I get older  :farmer:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 04:10:31 pm »
I'll be crutching 'em this year.  I find the young ewes sometimes get a bit loose when the Spring grass comes in and I don't want to catch and trim mucky backsides to keep them clean for the lambs.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 05:19:00 am »
Timing is all.  If you're clipping right back, don't put the ram in for at least seven days, preferably ten.  It's a bit prickly at first!  :o
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 07:11:16 am »
I do my sheep with them standing and just trim off any clangers.  One person holds them and one trims.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS