Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: More on bacon making....  (Read 11237 times)

oinky

• Joined May 2010
More on bacon making....
« on: July 09, 2010, 10:25:49 am »
Have just finished making bacon for the first time from 4 slabs of belly pork (free-range middle white) using the Hugh F-W recipe. This includes brown sugar, sea-salt, black pepper, chopped bay leaves and a couple of teaspoons of saltpetre. It all went rather well using a clean coolbox to stack the pieces, draining the fluids and re-salting every 24 hours. I stopped after 5 days (altho it's possible to continue up to a week or even 10 days). I washed and dried the pieces then cut off a few slices to sample. The meat colour had darkened but still had a reddish flush. There was plenty of fat which melted after a few minutes in the pan and the end result was a nicely textured and flavoured rasher. On the downside it was too salty. I guess I was too genrerous and vigorous during the re-salting. However, I've soaked the pieces in cold water for 2 hours and now it's a very superior product.
So, I'd recommend the Hugh F-W recipe but would suggest (as he does) rub the cure on lightly.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: More on bacon making....
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 01:25:30 pm »
There is something I can and would argue with HFW about What is the point of drawing out the water/moisture from the pork to put it back in by washing it.All ways brush the salt off and lay off the Potassium Nitrate on thin slices of meat like belly. It will make it very dry.The old fashioned way was to only rub Potassium Nitrate on the knuckle bone and the hock bone also push down the thick vein along side the hambone.If you are interested look in Recipes and processing on here :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

oinky

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 03:33:43 pm »
The HFW curing process takes at least 4-5 days. The final washing takes about 10 seconds with the aim of getting rid of any salt/herb residues on the surface and does not 're-install' moisture.
My idea of soaking the bacon in cold water for a couple of hours was merely to remove some excessive saltiness by, I presume, osmosis. Much in the same way as when one soaks salt beef (aka corned beef) before boiling it. The premise with curing/drying is really to make a food last as long as possible before it is cooked so it surely is a commonplace practice to re-moist? Lentils, beans, salt cod, etc, etc...
Apropos saltpetre I believe this is primarily used (in small quantities) to maintain some colour to the meat?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 03:55:39 pm »
and mine 4 to 5 weeks mine will keep a couple of years Hugh's 3/6 months if you are lucky.Water on the bacon DOES REENTER the meat and hinders the cure and keeping processes You can see this has happened when the meat turns green should you keep it long enough.Why do you think there is such a short life span on the packs BBE you buy in the supermarkets most of it is wet green and in my opinion worth nothing its tasteless and leaves a layer of snot in the pan more than a layer of nice grease to fry a round of bread in My experience spans some 70years You may prove me wrong but I will still do it my way. ??? :o :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 05:50:42 pm »
oinky (love the name btw) I found HFW recipes too salty as well.  There is probably quite a lot of leeway in his recipes.  ;)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 06:06:48 pm »
Hello H M You are supposed to soak it in water over night to remove most of the salt you know :'( ???

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 09:47:03 am »
I dont need to soak mine Wiz cos I use a lower salt dry cure recipe.   :D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 12:47:48 pm »
Yes H M  and I know what it tastes like as well! ;D :farmer:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 12:49:44 pm »
I think it's a general criticism of the HFW cure that I have read before on this forum - that it's too salty.

Would halving the quantity of salt in the recipe make a difference?

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 06:32:04 pm »
Yes Susannah it does.  Perhaps leave it sealed for about 5 - 7 days depending on if its belly or a thicker loin.  Its mostly a matter of taste.

Thinking back I remember when Hugh tried his first ham comments were made that it was a little on the salty side.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 06:33:04 pm »
Yes H M  and I know what it tastes like as well! ;D :farmer:

And of course you are right its absolutely delicious

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 08:03:48 pm »
Is that what you call it I call it bloody crap ??? :farmer:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 08:52:01 am »
Possibly because you have never tasted my bacon, 200 customers cant all be wrong ...

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 12:50:23 pm »
Not arguing this one but they may have never taster the real thing ;D :farmer:and I don't mean coke
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:03:50 pm by Wizard »

Andym

• Joined Jul 2010
  • G84 0FW
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 04:39:18 pm »
Hi, I would like to start curing bacon, but am having problems locating kosher or pickling salt.
Is this necessary, can you get away with normal salt? If not where do you get pickling/kosher salt without paying too much?

Any help much appreciated.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS