Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Confused about curing and smoking  (Read 8419 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Confused about curing and smoking
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 09:22:51 am »
For dry curing bacon (I dont have the courage to do a ham dry cure)

600 g salt
400 g sugar
1 teaspoon pepper

mix well

rub cure into bacon, paying particular attention to all the cracks and crannies. 

Rub cure in well (hint wear rubber gloves food quality if pos).

Seal into a poly bag place in non metalic container (in case bag leaks) leave for 3 days min. and 5 days max.  Roughly 1 day for each 1/2 inch depth of bacon, but min. 3 days.  I try to turn the bacon over once or twice a day. 

After the allotted time remove from bag, wash and pat dry.  I leave it for a day or two to rest, then chill really, really cold, then slice and eat.

Its a very basic recipe which works for me.  Tweak the recipe to suit yourselves as some prefer it saltier and others less so.

HTH.

HM

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 09:34:07 am »
Forgot to say - this amount of cure does a lot of bacon.   I keep mine in sealed polythene bags in a dry place it lasts for months.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 11:54:03 am »
Thanks for that, appreciated. Questions though:

1) Regarding how much to use - do I put loads on so it's thickly coated?

2) To help ensure the cure penetrates the meat thoroughly - how large are your bacon joints roughly?

3) Errmm - slice and eat? Is that slice, COOK, then eat? Or am I curing cooked meat?

If I can get it wrong, I will......

:dunce:

Regards.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 12:19:44 pm »
slice then cook then eat!!!!

i dont care what any health freak says frying gives the best flavour!!! IMHO obviously!!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 05:45:31 pm »
Over here its sliced really, really thinly and eaten as is.  Prefer it grilled myself.

Just rub the cure into all parts of the bacon.  To about a kilo of bacon use about say 50 grammes of cure.  Very rough estimate.  You dont want to use so much that the bacon is white with cure, most important part is to rub in really well and get the cure into all the little nooks and crannies. 

I ve been doing it for so long now its almost automatic.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS