Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hanging Poultry.  (Read 2719 times)

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Hanging Poultry.
« on: August 18, 2017, 04:03:17 pm »
I have some muscovies that will be slaughtered in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if other poultry keepers here hang the meat or let it rest for 24 hours before cleaning and freezing

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Hanging Poultry.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 06:46:26 pm »
If you don't let it hang for at least 24hrs it'll be like eating wellington boots!

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 09:25:43 pm »
If you don't let it hang for at least 24hrs it'll be like eating wellington boots!

Cool thanks Sbom. Do you know what results i would get if i did the oposite to normal and freeze straight away and then leave to defrost slow, so they would rest post freezing instead of pre freezing

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 09:02:22 pm »
Do they have to be physically hung, or can they be put in the fridge for a couple of days?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 10:53:06 pm »
I never hanged muscovies as never had suitable facilities, slow roasted young birds and they were fantastic, even too soft!
Only rested for a day in the fridge
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 03:08:11 pm »
In the end I slaughtered and skinned and stored them in the fridge for a couple of days.

So far they have been delicious  :excited: very happy as I was worried it would have been a huge waste of time :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS